Slipknot Thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by CannibalKiller, Aug 4, 2012.

1. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

I'm curious to hear about people's views on Slipknot.
    If you like them:
    What about them is appealing to you?
    When did you first hear them?
    What was your first impression, and did that change?

If you don't like them:
    Why? and please no retarded comments like "hurr durr slipknot is gay maggot faggots they cut themselves derp"

Cheers:hbang:

Hendrix and morrowcosom like this.
  2. NovaReaper

NovaReaper Banned

i used to like this band when i was 11

3. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

that sounded like sarcasm, and thats exactly what i dont want.

4. Rustee

Rustee †The Skyrim Bard†

hehe

5. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

+1

6. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

faith in this site just went downhill

Murmel likes this.
  7. steve1

steve1 SS.org Regular

While I'll assume there is some sarcasm intended, there is a good point to come out of it. Slipknot do appeal to a younger audience, and I'm sure they are an introduction to metal to for a lot of young people, and that's a good thing.

8. Alimination

Alimination Space Adventurer Contributor

They were my first show back when I was a sophomore in high school. I think they were promoting their 3rd album at the time. I have big respect for the band. I can't say I've listened to them in a while though.

9. Skullet

Skullet SS.org Regular

I personally love them . Seen them many times n its always a good show n they put their all into it . They are the reason i started to play guitar :). I remember seeing the left behind when i was 10 or something and thinking "well that's new" ( never heard metal musuc at this point )n just piked my dads guitar up n asked him to teach me how to play n thats me being playing for 10 years now :)

10. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

I love slipknot. I probably wouldn't play guitar if I hadn't heard Iowa (and the Korn records) :yesway:
    Incredible live band!

11. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

I like 'em. Seen them a few times live, put on an amazing show. Got all their albums and some tracks are definitely a bit wank but they have plenty of strong songs.

I first heard them when they released their self titled album. At the time it was something different and was way more intense than the "other" mainstream "nu-metal" bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Coal Chamber etc... to me they sounded genuinely fucked off about stuff which lent the music more credibility.

GRUNTKOR likes this.
  12. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Tard

Iowa changed my entire perception of the word anger.

Not such a huge fan these days, but they are more of an "old faithful", I much preferred Stone Sour's latest release.

13. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Arkansas Hipster

I did like them wn i was younger. I liked mushroomhead better but at least slipknot do some soloing now.

14. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

I used to like them. Imo, Iowa is their best hands down. The self titled was ok, but everything after Iowa went downhill. I really didn't like vol. 3 at all, since it became a lot more poppy. I HATED all hope is gone.
    I always thought it was funny that they rant about so much shit and image, yet again, most people know them as "that metal band with the masks".

15. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

they where my fav band when i was 13, and the band that got me into metal. Not as crazy about them as i used to be, but i still listen to vol.3 sometimes, mad guitars on that sometimes.

16. JayFraser

JayFraser SS.org Regular

I feel like SlipKnot get a lot of stick for what is essentially nothing to do with them. For example, a lot of their fans are obnoxious douchewagons, and for some reason people often think that this makes Slipknot a bad band. In no way is this true.
    Now, I love SlipKnot. I really do. I feel that IOWA is one of the angriest albums ever produced and that their lyrics (whilst admittedly cliche and somewhat cheesy at parts) actually had some thought put into them. Joey gets far too much credit, but he is a competent drummer who fits the band dynamic, and Jim/Mick write some pretty awesome riffs.

This is all aside from the fact that Corey is an absolutely insanely awesome vocalist.

Overall verdict? I think they're overrated by some, vastly underrated by lots of people who think they're just another kiddy-metal band, and one of my top 20 bands of all time.

All this aside though, seriously? Maggots? I don't see why any group of band-fans require a name for themselves, but even if they did for some reason, maggots? I just don't get it. However, I guess it's just different strokes.

17. Dan_Vacant

Dan_Vacant Hi I'm Dan.

I used to like them way more then I do now they pretty much got me into metal. every once in a while I do listen to them, Usually mate.feed.kill.repeat. or IOWA.

18. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

They were my favorite band for a good 1-2 years after I got burned out on Disturbed. (Haters gonna hate, but Disturbed is a good band too.)

I still listen to Subliminal Verses: Vol. 3 quite a bit, its a great album. And Three Nil intro is heavy as fuck.

19. fps

fps Kit

Their self-titled captures an energy and intensity I've rarely heard matched.

20. CannibalKiller

CannibalKiller Banned

This is a quote from Clown:
    "The reason we call them maggots is because right now they're in a world of other people's shit, but eventually they will become flies, and at least flies get to fly away and choose which shit they digest, and sometimes shit on their enemies food."
    :nuts: