Slightly loose trem posts causing tuning issues.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by elkoki, Jul 11, 2018.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

After finally fixing the wobbly tremolo block I discovered I got another issue . Hopefully minor . The tremolo posts both wobble slightly . I checked to see if the studs or are they called anchors? Checked if they moved around and they seem solid . Could it be a problem with just the posts or the anchors ? What are some common things that cause this ?

I put 2 small tooth pick pieces inside the anchors and screwed the posts it. They seem way more solid like that but IDK how they'll hold up. Any help from the cranky pros appreciated !

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

elkoki likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

elkoki likes this.
  4. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Thread tape should work as well.

elkoki likes this.
  5. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I'll try tape if the toothpicks fail on me. The tremolo stays in tune pretty well now except if I do a huge dive bomb then most strings go out of tune. I think it may be usable for moderate use now.

6. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Do the bushing wobble (the part actually install in the body) or just the studs (the part that screws into the bushings)?

If it’s just the studs, thread tape or Rich’s locking stud mod will prevent it front wobbling.

If the bushings move in the body, I would get that addressed by a pro. If the wood there totally fails, it’s a bit of a disaster. Now it’d be reasonably easy to just pull the bushings, drill out and plug the hole with a hard wood, and then redrill for the bushings again.

7. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

It looks like it's just the studs. I checked to see if the bushings moved around but they don't seem move . Where can I buy the stud mod?

8. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

That’s good news. I’d try thread tape first just to see if that’s actually causing your issues. That stuff is cheap and easy to find. It’s often called plumbers tape.

Rich at ibanezrules.com sells the stud mod for at least some Ibanez guitars. Basically, it’s a ground/cut down hex head bolt. In theory you could do it yourself with the correct bolts and tools.

9. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I've owned a few trem guitars before but I never really used the trems that much because they were usually lower end guitars and I didn't trust their tuning stability. What's "normal" for even a high end tremolo like an Edge Pro? Like it'll never be fully fully in-tune after some use right? Mine always seems to go flat by a few cents after a bit of use

10. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Well, it should come back pretty darn close at least in one direction. For example, I set mine so that it definitely comes back after I dive the trem. It’s often not quite right after a pull up but quickly diving gets it right again.

Rich Harris’s guide at Ibanez Rules really is the best trem set up guide I’ve ever seen. I could give you advice, but I’d just be paraphrasing from him.

11. odibrom

odibrom .

In your next string change, remove all strings and those studs. Look at them and see if they aren't locking. I find it strange that a prestige level Ibanez guitar won't have locking studs... but then, what do I know???

12. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

This particular model with the Edge Pro doesn't have them, it's why the guy over at IbanezRules.com made a locking stud mod.

odibrom likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

They stopped installing them at the factory around 2001. What was happening was folks weren't loosening them before trying to lower the trem and breaking thier studs. The studs are hardened, so too much force and they'll just break apart at the top.

They came back with the Edge Zero, but even then the grubs were included in a baggy in the case for users to install.

odibrom likes this.
  14. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This has been my experience, too. After a dive, it should return in tune. After a pull up, it may be a couple cents sharp, but a flick of the bar or a dive corrects it.

15. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

I’ve had some Edge Pros, and they were perfectly stable without locking studs.

16. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

As long as nothing needs maintenance then it'll be stable. The studs on my guitar were wobbling around inside the inserts, the inserts aren't loose though it's the studs that are the problem. I got some plumbers tape and that seemed to fix the problem pretty much completely. Most people would call that a temporary fix, but for now i'm happy. I will probably consider buying new studs soon (if that even helps). I just don't feel like spending more money right now LOL. The guitar was a pretty good deal at $300, but I bought new springs, tremolo bar, screws for the tremolo block,tape... Not to mention all the time and driving I put into going to the store and all that lol.. I'm just glad to have a functional guitar now that's in really good shape too!

17. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

The tape will disintegrate over time, but I think it’ll be fine. Glad it seems to be helping

18. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I got a whole roll! Lol