Slightly disappointing NPD + kind of a nightmare story: Dominion/PAF Joe

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Legion, Sep 21, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Well... You sold me on the Dominion. I expected it to be a midrangey and dark pickup, not bright at all. So I dig the sound of that.

Otherwise...jesus. What a dunce of a tech.

Legion likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

it's pretty bright and def the tightest pickup dimarzio makes besides the titan. it does have a decent amt of mids imo.

3. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Happy to be of help!

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The LF cleans were a lot warmer, more mids than the Joe, and a bit hotter. Definitely not bad, just not what I was after.

Gotta second the Dominion for a tight metal monster bridge pickup :metal: I've had one in my main guitar for years tuned to drop B and it's never let me down. The Titan is super tight as well, but isn't as aggressive until you really dig in with your picking hand. I wasn't quite as impressed with the Titan for lead playing as I am with the Dominion, but it still does the job. Both pickups are medium-hot and have a good amount of mids, especially the Dominion.

5. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

So I guess I will throw in the Dominion in my list to try for dimarzio pickups!

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I took a guitar last month to get it swapped from actives to passives. Charged me $150 and this is how he wired it. The push/pull would coil-split the pickups when pushed IN, and when pulled out BOTH of the pickups were active and the selector did nothing. He had the ground wired to the wrong lug, every pair of lugs bridged, and the coil-split wires for both pickups soldered TOGETHER. I got a full refund after I called saying nothing was done right.

It showed on my ticket $50 for pickup install, $80 for platinum setup. The guitar's intonation was off when I got it back. The whole reason I took it to Guitar Center in the first place was because a ground wire needed to be added to the bridge. Turned out one had already been attached but it never crossed my mind that it would have come from the factory already setup with grounding. Turns out my other active-equipped guitars already have ground wires too. The tech never said anything until after his "work" was done and said "Yeah, btw I never had to add a ground wire. It was already there!" Thanks man, thanks :lol:

TL;DR
    I didn't check my guitar for a ground wire. Paid Guitar Center to switch from actives to passives. Guitar Center royally screwed up my guitar's wiring. Received full refund along with wisdom.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

your first mistake is paying someone to do wiring work, your second mistake was going to guitar center for tech work :nuts:

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's better to go to GC than some random idiot. At least GC has the cash on hand to make it right. The dude doing it out of his parents' basement/garage? Not so much.

There's been a huge up-tick in the quality of techs GC has been hiring over the last few years. Between better access to information and tools and good techs losing jobs at closing smaller shops they're moving more towards GC and other chain retailers.

9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

To give you an idea as someone who's qualified as an electrical tech, I charge the equivalent of $35US/hour plus parts when doing pickup work - and the work required in your case wouldn't have been more than an hours work, possibly 1.5 hours with having to re-wire the switch being faulty but I wouldn't have charged you for time on a faulty part new out of the box. That tech fucking robbed you.

10. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

If it wasn't for the potential drilling, I wouldn't have. I wire all of my other stuff.
    I went with GC because of the reason Max mentioned. There's insurance that covers it if they screw anything up and what I had them work on was a new stock item that was easily replaceable.