Skervesen Guitars

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by mondomg, May 20, 2012.

1. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Anyone know what a refinish of the top and headstock of a guitar would cost if Skervesen did it? Buying a new isn't really a possibility because of the price of these. I bought a used Raptor 7 custom a while ago and i really really like the guitar, but the color scheme on the top is not really my cop of tea. Here's the guitar:
    [​IMG]

2. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

You could get a couple of cans of spray paint and some masking tape for maybe ten euros.

3. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

I might be wrong here but I would have thought for whatever you paid for the used Raptor, plus the cost of getting Skerv to refinish it, you could likely just get a brand new Skerv.

4. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

I was lucky to trade my EBMM JP7 for it, so I'm not sure what it's worth. Would be a shame to sell it since the rest of the guitar is specced perfectly for me :/
    I'm thinking of a nice flamed sunburst, would look really tasteful.

5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Dang, brother, I'll buy it off of you! I love those colors!

6. Skervesen Guitars

Skervesen Guitars SS.org Regular

Everything depends of desired re-finish... :)

But, hey - these guys know how to riff, right? :D 1:40 is my favourite (Maciek)

7. Skervesen Guitars

8. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Oh wise Skervesen geeks, I need your help for my 6 string Raptor design. :bowdown:

I have been talking with Bogumil and he has helped me with a lot of the details so far. I'd be grateful if you could have a look and help me gel my ideas together, or suggest some better ones \m/

Body: Black limba, a nice dark piece as below. Similar to mahogany tonally.

[​IMG]

Top: Green dragon burst for sure, as below. But I can't decide on the top wood. The piece of poplar burl below is great as it seems to have a lot of quilting. Or do I go for something else like quilted maple or buckeye burl (with no stain of course)? Tonally, I understand the poplar is like basswood so I worry about losing brightness. Buckeye burl I hear it contributes little tonally. I do plan to have a strip of maple in the neck but not much. I don't like too much brightness though, to be fair. Certainly don't like that twangy fender attack.

[​IMG]

Binding: definitely none / natural wood.

Bridge/scale: Either the standard 25.5" scale or 25-26" fanned. Black Hipshot probably, unless brown hardware can be achieved! Is it worth getting a multi scale Raptor 6? I love the 0.5" fan on my Boden OS6. I need the Raptor to be versatile without changing strings, if you get what I mean. The Boden seems to handle lower tunings better due to the extra scale length on the 6th string.

Neck: I want a maple strip amongst the dark outer woods (as below) but can't decide on wenge or rosewood for the outer strips.

Rosewood-wenge-Maple-wenge-rosewood:
    [​IMG]

Or wenge-rosewood-maple-rosewood-wenge, a bit like this?
    [​IMG]

DAT neck: I have this on my Skervesen Tamadua 8 and absolutely love it. If you haven't felt one it's easiest to describe it as a gentle version of the Strandberg EndurNeck, only much more useful and comfortable (and don't get me wrong, I love the EndurNeck! So you can imagine how much I dig the DAT neck). It's so hard to photograph but there's a good shot here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=283034. Question is, do I want this on a 6 string? Again, I dig it on my Strandberg and my Skerv 8 but I need the advice of Raptor owners/players.

Ferretboard: Snakewood would be ace, but maybe too expensive and might be too red for the green body? I think it's like rosewood tonally, so I'd be adding more warmth again. The safe choice is rosewood or macassar ebony - something a little bit figured, not black, you know the sort.

This is the closest thing I could find with snakewood and green/blue body:
    [​IMG]

Or buckeye burl with snakewood ferret? :O
    [​IMG]

Inlays: just the dots, I think. Maybe Luminlay sides, and something different on the fretboard like a contrasting wood? I love this dot arc:
    [​IMG]

Headstock: Viper, as below without binding. I think it's a great match for the body, makes it look more Raptory IMO \m/ Can this be done in a non-reversed style? Do I want that? :s
    [​IMG]

The flightcase with bespoke foam cut is just the job, I love these things!
    [​IMG]

World domination mod of course, this is so clever! When I think of the hours I've spent twiddling my Axe FX and downloading patches to get an acoustic tone! :flame: Now you can have it at the flick of a switch, and it sounds bang on \m/

Then, of course, BKPs - probably the Aftermath as they just seem to give me 'that' sound I'm after. What do you think? I'll be playing all sorts, mainly heavy prog metal. I like a bit of a fizzy sound. Other question is, what sort of covers? It's hard to find a picture of a Raptor 6 without covered pups. I guess they look so good with covers! What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love these white pups! I think they only work with the white binding though...
    [​IMG]

Or what about wooden bobbins? I really dig this idea! I might make a mock up pic...
    [​IMG]

Or covers, like on my 8?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading all this & any help you can give me to gel my ideas together into a nice guitar. I figure many brains can make a better design than just one!

A final thought...Santos Rosewood back! :O
    [​IMG]

9. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Gotta get off that Imgur train, man. I don't see any of your pictures.

10. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Dammit! That's annoying. I'm using Dropbox it usually works ok. I can see them ok from here. Cheers for pointing it out though dude I'll investigate.

11. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I lucked my way into an amazing deal on a Shoggie 8 and it's an absolutely incredible guitar. Right up there with Mayones and the Strandberg custom shop in terms of build quality.

12. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

TBH I've never noticed a significant difference in tone due to different top woods. That's not to say it isn't there but IMO your pickups, construction style, and neck woods make more of a difference. And your amp settings will make 1000x the difference of anything on your guitar.

As for neck woods, wenge is harder and tends to be "brighter" than rosewood, while rosewood has more bass "oomph" and slightly looser mids (but not as loose as mahogany). I wouldn't do snakewood on this guitar, I think it'll look too red (snakewood is also a bitch to work with so I think you'd make the Skervy dudes happy, lol). I'd go with a nice streaky rosewood or ziricote.

Aftermaths are plenty bright as it is, and if you're really after top-end fizz, the Juggernauts are even brighter in my experience (but still very musical- I actually prefer them to Aftermaths).

13. angus

angus SS.org Regular

As someone who has had a bunch of custom instruments made over the years (and four from Skerv- a fifth soon, once I can figure out the specs)- the one thing I'd recommend is moderation.

Going for something like a poplar burl with a greenburst then a top grade snakewood fingerboard with black mother of pearl binding and blue leds with... etc- it just gets to be too much, and in that example the fingerboard takes away from the top and vice versa.

I have a Skervesen with a snakewood fingerboard (a finished pic never made it to facebook, but the unfinished did), and picked a black ebony top to go with it so that you'd really notice the expensive part. It's more striking that way. Sounds amazing, btw, and they really know how to finish snakewood properly.

You won't notice much of a difference in tone with thin tops of poplar/maple/buckeye burl. If you are worried about "softening" the tone with poplar, then you should definitely think it will happen with buckeye since the stuff is basically wet cardboard. But that said, I doubt you'll notice any difference between them tonally.

Based on what you said, I'd get black limba, maple burl + green (I think poplar is better with colors like yellow), wenge/maple neck, macassar ebony board. Binding/pickups of your choice.

14. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Thanks man that helps a lot \m/

Nice one dude, thanks :hbang:

Must remember to like these when the likes resurface :squint:

15. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

update to say that my Shoggie 8 still owns bones

16. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

NGD thread?

17. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

The new form fitted flight cases are soo good , the older Hiscox ones are really clunky with too much extra room even though sturdy.

18. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

19. Skervesen Guitars

Hello Guys!

As some of you might know, from time to time we have "in-stock" guitars, ready to be bought ;). You can find them on our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741878.228523443929627&type=1&l=0e1155accc
    Currently, we have sweet Kallisti and Lizard, both 7-stringed and with multiscale, check them out!

Also, if you REALLY NEED ;) to have our guitar in your hands in less than usual ~9 months you can send us mail with your desired specs, and we will try to find something pre-made in our storage.

Wish you pleasant last days of August!
    Bogumil.

20. Skervesen Guitars

Hi guys!
    Hope you didn't forget about us ;). And if you did- couple of reminders:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]