Skervensen raptor 7 vs Misha HT7 vs Boden 7

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by skmanga, Dec 13, 2017.

1. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Stuff happend an now I must decide between a couple of very awesome guitars.
    I am looking for a hardtail 7 that is built properly, tight tolerances and stuff.
    I already own an Ibanez RG7-421 from 2000 with a kiesel lithium in the bridge, stock neck PU in standard, and a Schecter KM-7 MK2 with a duncan distortion 7 in the bridge stock sentient neck PU.

These are my options:
    Misha HT7, used.
    https://ibb.co/iseH5R
    https://ibb.co/moaqQR

Skervensen Raptor 7 w/barenkuckles, used.
    https://ibb.co/fJ6KKm
    https://ibb.co/cU7Rzm

Strandberg Boden OS7, new.
    https://ibb.co/cNBmzm
    https://ibb.co/hXbas6

I like a radius on the flatter side, non compound if possible.
    prefer passive pickups, prefer Hipshot over the Hannes, dont mind 25.5 or 26.5, the latter being better for drop tunings. the quilt on the Misha looks better.
    Leaning towards the mahogany in the Skervensen vs the alder in the Misha sig or swamp ash in the Boden, mahogany would be something I don't yet have, my basswood and my ash guitars are on the brighter side so some variety would be good.
    I am leaning a bit more towards the Servensen due to the Mahogany though with a single master vol and no tone knob or coil splitting it inst really too versatile in that regard. Though my current guitars can be split just fine so that should be fine. Mishas sig excells in that regard IMO, hes got the 5 way selector which i love :D
    The Boden is last mostly due to the fact that I'm not really in the mood for a headless yet, and also a south Korean vs a USA guitar is almost a no brainier. I would also assume the build quality of the Skervensen is up there with Mishas sig and above the Strandberg Boden.

The necks on these guitars is an area i need advice in, not really clued in on these aside from the endurneck.

Can you guys help me out here, any tips/advice would be appreciated!
    Thank You.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I have no idea of the Misha quality but Skervesen will beat any Korean made Strandbergs no problem. The Japanese made Strandbergs are about on the same level as the Skervesens but obviously not easy to get.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

by looks I would go with the bulb all day long. The Raptor is fine but that paint/stain job its not my cup of tea

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

I'd pick the ht7 or raptor. If push came to shove I guess I'd pick the ht7 just purely because of the aesthetics.

5. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I own both a raptor and an HT6, however no experience with the Strandberg.

Build quality the Skervesen edges out the HT6. Not to say the Jackson is shoddy, it just isn't as refined. Skervesen fretwork is miles above the fretwork that is on my HT6. The Jackson fretwork isn't god awful, but there is much better work being produced in that price bracket. The wiring on the skervesen is much cleaner as well.

My skervesen has the WDM coil splitting option, and that makes it very versatile tone wise. I absolutely love the coil splits on my HT6 however, it is my favorite guitar for coil split cleans.

I prefer the flat 20" radius of the Jackson over the skervesen 12"-16" compound. And i prefer the Jackson's neck profile, it is slimmer and flatter. Skervesen has a very subtle asymmetric profile and is a bit chunkier. This is completely subjective.

I like the hannes bridge on my Skerv over the hipshot. Again, completely a preference. I just prefer the ever so slightly added height. That being said I really like TOM bridges and floyd bridges for the height.

They are both great guitars. Just comes down to which one checks more boxes for you.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'd take the Skerv, it's a one of a kind, if for some reason you don't gel with it, you can find another used HT7 alot easier.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I wouldn’t buy a new os7 unless you were getting a significant discount. The upgrades on the new ones are worth it. Unless you really like the stock pickups.

Out of these I’d go for the skervesen I guess. But imo having skervesen build you a bog standard regular scale guitar is like having Ferrari build you a smart car. The whole point of going to them is multiscale and wood options.

Haven’t played a usa ht yet. They look good. Haven’t heard anything bad.

8. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Would definitely recommend the HT7. Then Strandberg OS, then Skervesen.

Like some others, extremely disappointed with the Raptor I had. Superb build, nice woods, but sounded like pure shit.

The Misha model sounds awesome, but I'm partial, alder is one of my favorite tonewood. Really comfortable too.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

I would not pin "sounding like shit" on a company that builds guitars to their customers requests. They are a total custom shop so if a customer asks for a combination of tonewoods that sound like garbage with the pickups that they also get to pick, then I would say the customer didn't do enough research before making an order.

Dineley likes this.
  10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ya some people make some questionable decisions.

I’ve bought three used skervesens. 2 of them sounded great right when I got them.

One of them sounded wierd as shit. I was told it came with nailbombs but they were a Coldsweat emerald set. Some people really like that set but I can’t stand them. Swapped pickups to warpigs and the guitar sounds great.

11. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

Actually I have the same opinion about the emerald pups, even on the bareknuckle website their demo sounds very odd to me, very compressed and flat sounding.

12. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

I have to find out what BKP are in the Skerv, but you guys make solid points about multiscale and more exotic options when ordering from Skerv.
    One of the biggest deciding factors is the prices on all 3 guitars.
    I can get the Boden for $1550-1600 USD, the Skervesen for $1700, and the Misha HT7 for $2175.
    The Boden comes with a nice gig bag and the other 2 with hardshell cases.

I want the Boden the least but its the one that fits my price range the best, i can stretch it for the Skerv it being a higher quality guitar, but the jump to the Misha would be too much for me at this moment.
    I was originally spending 1150-1300.

I do believe the mahogany in the body and 5 piece mahogany/maple neck should pair well for some warm tones.

Still leaning towards the Skerv.

13. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Oh if I had to chose between them Id get the Skerv. I havent owned or played any of them but I want a damn Skervesen haha!

14. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Well looks like ill be giving the Skervesen a shot.
    Never really thought I would own one of these, definitely not anytime soon!
    Waiting on some final specs like neck radius, which BKP its got, and what string gauge and tuning the guitar is setup in.
    Looking forward to that fretwork and mahogany.

15. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

I saw your email. These are Bare Knuckle Pickups Juggernaut set, black covers with black bolts.

Dineley likes this.
  16. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Wow what a coincidence!
    thank you very much :)
    I'll pm you to see if you can possibly get me the rest of the specs.

17. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Isurez, Dineley, myrtorp and 2 others like this.