Site Rules: they need to go in the right place.

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Xaios, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This is something that has required fixing for a while now. Most of the forum vets here understand that the most up-to-date rules are here.

The problem is, when Joe Noob goes to find what the site's rules are, where's he gonna look? He's gonna go to the "Rules" link directly beside the link to his User CP, which is not only closer to the top of the page, but visible anywhere in the forum, as opposed to the rules thread, which is only visible in the Site News & Support forum. It might not be a problem if the rules that are listed in each weren't radically different from each other, but the old ruleset hasn't been updated since Chris was overlord of SSO. Lately I've made note of some people, particularly newer members, who might have well and truly thought they were obeying the site's rules, only to get the banhammer levied against them because they broke the actual rules, the existence of which they were probably oblivious to, and understandably so. This is a problem because it has the potential to sow dishord with newer members and turn them off the site.

TL;DR: This page of site rules needs to be updated to say what this page says.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    tommychains, Chuck and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  2. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Seconded.

3. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Agreed.

4. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Bump. This continues to be an issue. The fact of the matter is that the "official rules" are entirely too hidden to expect new users to be beholden to them. The actual "Rules" link listed on EVERY page must be updated.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

6. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

I agree with xaios, I can see the confusion. Honestly I always thought the rules posted in the link were the right one. Now I finally read the one xaios posted, and a good amount of these I may have done in the past like chatter in the classifieds or "off color" comments in the off topic threads. Not just me, lots of other guys too. Many of them I'm actually fond of and feel bad for when I see why they might have gotten the wrong attention from the mods.

Love this site, I always will. But it does seem like this particular issue is confusing a lot of newer members. :scratch: