Sikth Entire Discography Notation

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by insiren, Apr 8, 2016.

1. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Hey everyone.
    I am only 4 songs left from finishing up notating every instrument of their entire discography. It has been a challenge, but with every song and hurdle it has gotten easier to work out their masterpieces. I am extremely happy to take on this project and to be almost finished. When it is complete, I will have the most accurate notation of all their work, at least the closest thing to them releasing it themselves. I am just curious, What song were/are you most excited about learning the most. Any one up for a Sikth Cover band? lol

Check back here in a week or two for the link to all the Tabs, they will be available in GuitarPro5 format. :shred:

2. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Oh my god, even How May I Help You? That song is insanity!

3. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

your are the dude!! :yesway:

4. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Fack yissss!
    Thanks man! I'll be waiting.

5. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Currently finishing that one up as we speak.
    It is a fantastic song man, you will be impressed with what can be accomplished on guitar pro. :)

6. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Na I think you guys are the .... for motivating me to get this done.
    But uh... how do you listen to Sikth on the moon? lol

7. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

still on CDs :D

Anyway, it's been a while since I've learned pretty much the whole Scent of the Obscene, except the last 30 seconds or so, which is kinda over the top haha. Super fun song to play and probably my favorite song of them in general.

I used to be a huge fan back then before they broke, Pin was the main reason I was hunting for B2 for decade or so. Still love them big time and besides Meshuggah, they changed the game for me in hard&heavy.
    Man I was blown so hard first time I've heard them, will never forget that haha. Same thing happened when I've heard Sol Niger in 2001. That thing changed my life. :shred:

8. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

On CD!?? Geez you really are on the moon huh? lol

Sikth seriously ruined anything else music for me. They have set a standard I have seen very little of in other bands. I .... myself when I heard they reunited and wrote more music. It was such a sad day for me when they split. I hope to have them tour over here in the states in the near future. Otherwise, I will have to save up for a ticket for a flight and stay to see them.

9. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Gosh their entire 1st album is giving me a lot of problems with their tempo changes. I like my notations to be spot on with tempo, so you can play the Guitar pro along with the actual song and stay perfectly on beat note for note. But their first album is really throwing me off. Either they did free time when recording, or they literally change tempos every few measures with a lot of their songs. I am working it all out though, just becomes tedious. lol

10. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

They recorded it without a click track because Dan Foord is a beast.

11. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Source? lol

12. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

On Foord being a monster? Sikth's discography's your source for that.

On the click track, I'm not so sure any more. I heard it from a friend who is currently working on a PhD in percussion, so I trust his knowledge on drums. I heard it probably over a decade ago, and was reminded of it by your post. Now when I search for "Sikth click track" or related terms on Google to find evidence, there's bugger all information on it.

So I don't know. He's definitely a beast, and they may or may not have used a click track, but they certainly change tempo an awful lot on "The Trees Are..."

13. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Oh believe me I know how much of a monster Foord is...
    I have more than enough evidence to suggest that they didn't use a click track when recording. I would just love to hear it from the horses mouth, ya know. I am almost done guys. Keep checking back. I will have this finished and uploaded soon.

14. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

Dude, where can we get this? Will you put them on UG? I play bass.

15. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I just gotta say, you're awesome for doing this. What, if anything, have you taken away from the process of transcribing their discography?

16. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Oh most definitely my fellow bass player.
    I will also upload them in one big RAR file when they are finished to this thread. I plan on making some bass play throughs myself once this project is finished. You can already find my transcriptions of DEATH OF A DEAD DAY
    here along with Philistine Philosophies. Enjoy man!
    Insyren | Ultimate-Guitar.Com

17. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Thanks man! This project has allowed me to critically study their musical idioms and apply it to my music. Most people already know by default how amazing their musicianship is, but to see it laid out notated really allows you to see how well their relationship is. Every note is carefully placed. All rhythms are perfectly constructed.

I am also able to work out their particular styles that are SIKTH specific.
    For instance, they love to metric modulate. A lot of their metric modulations are made by introducing 8th triplets in the current tempo (lets say 100 bpm) then adding a note to the grouping of three, and slowing the tempo down by a quarter. (100bpm x .75=75bpm) Essentially turning them into 16th notes in the new tempo of 75 bpm. You can hear this example at the end of philistine philosophies.

They are true musical geniuses, and this whole project has done wonders for me musically. I love this band more and more with every listen. And after seeing these transcriptions, you will too. :)

18. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

That's crazy! Good job!

19. insiren

insiren SikTh Expert

Okay so, I am one song away from finishing up this project. I underestimated how much time it would take, but it is nearly done. I want to remind everyone what exactly I have done. I notated out everything my ears could pick up from countless playbacks and tried to compile the most accurate tabs to date for my absolute favorite band's discography. I left out a few songs I didn't think were worth notating (like Tupelo, Cant we all dream, Days are dreamed and for obvious reasons all of the spoken word tracks.) If for any reason I get some requests for the ones I left out, Ill review and take my best stab at them. Once I finish up the last track, I will do one last review for each tab, clean them up and then release them all for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you to all who have been patiently waiting, I know for me it would be torture. Almost there guys.:shred:

Mr. Big Noodles likes this.
  20. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Can't wait to check them out!