Side Jobs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leberbs, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I am pretty handy with a soldering iron. :idea:
    I've built and modded some pedals before. Maybe I should dabble in building an amp. I'll put that in my notes.

2. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Very nice. What is the extent of your work?

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Just throwing this out there, but if you can get along with other musicians, it's pretty easy to throw together a cover band to play dance music. The key is to not play anything people won't dance to, and you will get bookings like crazy. My pitfall with this model is finding a group of guys who don't mind playing "Honky Tonk Woman," "Brown Eyed Girl," and "Old Time Rock and Roll" 3-4 times every weekend, but once the hundred dollar bills start coming in, it's foolish not to do it. You can always keep your more interesting projects going, too, and leave some breathing room in your schedule, but, if you already have band equipment, you might as well put it to use and make some money back.

4. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I have 3 degrees and have provided help to classmates over the years, but never charged or taken an entire class for them.

I do car audio, but that's a dead art in the area.

Taxes? Negative.

I didn't know how to respond to that, but yea. You shouldn't be advertising that.

5. bostjan

If you were in VT, I'd have you fix my car stereo. :lol:

Have you thought about tutoring? I used to tutor a few kids in maths, and I made between $36 - $40/hour to explain things like slope and polynomials. It was about as cushy as a side job can get.

The thing with making stuff and selling it is that you assume a fair amount of financial risk.

Example:

Say I design and build a pretty nifty little chip amp. I then show it off on youtube and around different music stores and brag about it to some local guitar guys. Next, I get a few people interested, and build a batch of them, spending only a few hundred on parts and only maybe a dozen or eighteen hours on labour, but my profit is virtually nil, since I'm still in the exposure phase. Ok, next, say people kind of dig this little amp, and I start getting a healthy amount of orders, I go to reorder my components, and, lo and behold, one of the JFETs I was using is discontinued. Hmm, okay, I can still buy the same component on eBay, but it's not 10-20x the price. ..... Ok, maybe I can use a different one. This MF-XYZ has almost the same specs as the MF-ABC I was using. Now the problem is do you order a few and try them out, while your customers are waiting? Well, what choice do you have? Well, MF-XYZ ships from China, so it takes six weeks to arrive, and then you find out that MF-XYZ sounds like ..... By then, your customers are pissed, and your business has already fallen apart - investment gone.

6. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Hate kids lol

This is why woodworking came to mind first. Maybe making some small decorative boxes - watches and essential oils come to mind.

7. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I think I found my calling...Landscaping. I've been doing a ton of yard work at my home. First home btw :metal:
    People have been noticing all the trees I've been trimming/murdering and firewood I've been giving away. Think I may open a facebook to expose myself a little more.

8. bostjan

Might not want to expose yourself on facebook. Even though there are age restrictions, there are still a lot of kids that get on there and browse around at photos and st...

Oh, wait, you didn't mean it that way, did you? :lol:

9. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

LMAO :lol:

I had to read it like 5 times before I got what you were saying. Holy crap that was funny.

10. Nick Finn

Nick Finn SS.org Regular

I used to help a teenage son of my friend with school tasks, also English teaching in Skype (after living in Asia), translations English-Spanish. I like things like that. Maybe you are a handy man? Can fix things at home. I have always been inspired by ppl who can fix smth:hbang:

11. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

i'm thinking about becoming an uber driver to fill some of my free hours. what do you guys think ?

12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

The problem I see with Uber is this: are you really making enough money to cover the fuel and wear and tear on your car in addition to paying yourself for the time that you spend driving (including the trips to pickup and from drop off)?

13. Ebony

Ebony "The Sugarcoater"

How's the earning/spending ratio when driving uber over in Beirut?
    If you feel it's adequate after doing the math, I'd say go for it.
    Most people I've known who's earning by driving are content with their line of work.

14. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

It might be good earning considering Beirut had notorious traffic. But also apparently it's a fairly complicated procedure that requires me to change my car's plate number. Hmmm...