Side Jobs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leberbs, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Tried starting my own company. It's so damn expensive. Bills for startup fees keep coming in the mail and I have yet to get a lead on any job yet. Thinking about dissolving all my licenses and trying to get some side work that doesn't require insurance, having 6+ licenses, claiming tic-tacs on my taxes, and hiring a bookkeeper. Thoughts?

Anyone have any side work they do for extra cash? What do you do to earn that play money?

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Speak anything other than English? You can find freelance translation gigs online. They don't pay a ton but unless you're real slow it should work out to above minimum wage.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

You could set up a blog and sell ad space on it. That's only viable if you're a good writer, have opinions people would be interested in (or can present them in an interesting way), and can market your site out to people. Web dev skills also will help.

I knew a guy who made money volunteering for medical testing and weird stuff like that. He's never complained about permanent side effect of anything yet. :lol:

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm convinced that making money in today's economy is just plain difficult. Anything you can do can be marketed, but you have to be effective at finding the right audience. So, it all depends on what you do.

You could build little amps, play fill in gigs for other bands, make woodcuts and sell them at the farmer's market, sign up for Amazon Turk and type people's scanned receipts into text documents, substitute teach, become an amateur kickboxer, grow artisan tomatoes and sell them at the farmer's market with your woodcuts, become a freelance bodyguard/security, set up people's guitars for them, etc. etc.

It all depends on what you like to do.

5. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

...yet lol

6. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I was going to test out woodworking and see where that takes me. I'm just trying to avoid everything that comes with owning a business and filing taxes on some little supplemental income.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Context is kind of everything though. Lots of people probably make enough money in their day job to support the music (or whatever else they do). Paying for things you want is always going to be a tradeoff - you're either trading your time (getting a side job, etc) or sacrificing the option to buy something lower in the list of priorities (maybe buying a new bit of gear means not buying a new gaming console or something).

I'm pretty lucky in that I ended up in a spot where I more or less get to do what I want all the time. My job is something I wanted to do, and I make enough to support whatever personal projects I want to do. That's not to say there's no sacrifices - I live in a cheap apartment, don't drive a fancy car or anything like that.

8. bostjan

You could be like me and never clear any profits on any of your side business; you don't have to pay taxes on your losses. : /

9. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I'm ok with breaking even, but I've already sunk nearly $2k in education, licensing fees, insurance, etc.
    Then, I try to get some demo equipment to show to potential customers. The demo rig is $1k. :noway:
    Like, cmon...

10. bostjan

DISCLAIMER: Do not take financial advice from me. :lol:

<$2k in startup costs for a small business is maybe your problem, though. In my mind, if you are fairly good at something, you work for someone else and save up $20k+ before you try to make it on your own. It's just kind of the entry fee. (DISCLAIMER: Do not take financial advice from me.) If you can enter the market for less than that and be successful, that's great, but really, I would not expect stellar results from a $2k investment in a business, unless it was in a developing country or something.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take financial advice from me.

11. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

lol well, I guess I was blindsided then. Thought I'd be able to be up and running after my education was completed. I may try this particular trade in the future, but for now I'm done unless I can do some installs under the radar.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I dunno what field/trade this company would be in, but $2k is not a lot of money to try to launch a business with.

13. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

What aspect are you covering with the $2k?

14. bostjan

I've spent over $1k on advertising alone, for a new small business, before. I think it may be difficult to visualize what kind of a business can be started with that amount of capital. Since you haven't divulged details, I was thinking building contractor or electrician or something, but, $2k would barely cover an ad in the yellow pages and a decal for your work truck, so, maybe it's something not along those lines at all.

For example, starting your own restaurant: you need permits, equipment, advertising, training, licenses, leases, electricity, water, fuel, a sign, silverware, furniture, etc.; so opening will cost a few tens of thousands in capital, not counting loans. It's not unheard of for even a successful family restaurant to cost the owner a quarter of a million dollars before it starts making money back.

Another example: A small business running lights and sound for bands. Need a van, a mixer, amplifiers, speakers, power conditioners, a generator, lights, controllers, 2-3 employees, insurance, and advertising. You're talking ballpark $100k in capital to kick it off. In this case, you'd probably go for a loan and then have to pay off the loan with profits, but your first year doing business is probably going to be at a loss.

Building little chip amps: $250 in parts and $150 in equipment to develop the prototype, then you need advertising, consumables, and a workspace. Pretty small, but certainly pushing close to that $2k mark and it's, IMO, a pretty darn relaxed attempt at a business.

15. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I had business cards made up for my tech biz.
    THE Guitar Whisperer, Stringed Instrument Repair, Maintenance, and Modifications.
    I get plenty of work to keep me busy and give me some extra gear money just from colleagues at work, as our campus holds 1100 folks, then I started posting some cards in local coffee shops & such.

I'm just busy enough to get me some extra cash, but not too busy that my life revolves around it.
    Here's a shot of the front of my business card.
    Not posting the back with the address & email just to prevent spamming.
    [​IMG]

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I could spend that 2k just on a PC to work from and not be any closer to owning a business, but that's beside the point.

17. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I second this, I spent well over $2K on equipment, software, marketing and education for a small photo business in the first year. The camera I bought year 2 of operation cost $3K alone.

18. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

Do you have a degree? I've started taking money to take online classes for lazy students.

Work on cars? Start taking on basic jobs for people.

Have basic accounting or tax knowledge? Fill out 1040s for people that don't want to do their own (charge less than turbo tax for a single basic return).

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

So much about that sentence boggles my mind. :lol:

Why would you pay for an education.... and they pay someone else to receive that education? Their loss, your gain, I guess.

20. bostjan

Dude, you really shouldn't post stuff like that in public, even joking around.