Shure PG-48 is crazy sensitive

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Slavocracy, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Slavocracy

Slavocracy SS.org Regular

Using a Shure PG-48, going into a Pyle Pro 5-channel mixer through XLR and out to a (old) Line 6 Pod GX by 1/4 into my computer, and finally into FL Studio for post-processing.

It seems that I have only the option of running the gain high in my mixer and dealing with hearing EVERYTHING in the room with super sensitivity (I can hear myself breathing or whispering from a distance), or running the gain low in the mixer, turning up the volume in post-processing and hearing the background noise/static of the mixer itself which becomes quite loud at that point.

I don't understand how so many people just plug in their microphone into a mixer/preamp and have this perfectly quiet signal that gets loud when they speak into it. My microphone is insanely sensitive or unresponsive, nothing in-between.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

There has to be an inbetween. Most people dont have a lot of hum in their preamps, which is where your problems sound like they are coming from. It may be a problems with cables or grounding issues between all the devices. What is your pod running into?