Show us your home studio setup!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by -Nolly-, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

That is baller, JD27!

My set-up is pretty basic, Yamaha HS5, Novation midi controller, focusrite 6i6, axe fx, pretty standard SSO guy :lol: but I have just upgraded my macbook pro from 4gb to 16gb ram, and 500gb hdd to a 1tb ssd, I've also purchased a second monitor to connect to it and a stand so the laptop is floating up next to it, really been trying to get back into recording after a good year or two break from it, no photos yet as I've actually just packed it all down to move houses.

I wonder how Nolly's (who started the thread) studio looks like now that he's veering away from periphery to focus on his recording work.

2. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

The Laney any good?

3. fauxfreshness

fauxfreshness SS.org Regular

So, this is my "temporary" (a lot like moving the car out front that's on block...er, "display stands") fidgeting, sound making, and other stuff portable studio. Kind of like a "B" rig I suppose. My main PC is back to running Windows Server 2012 R2 for code testing stuff, so I'm using the 2015 MacBook Pro for the "real" DAW work with Ableton Live 9.x and MASCHINE 2.x. However, as I haven't built any kind of real desk for it, the display, the monitors, and audio I/O, I've been using my iPad Air 2 with a Focusrite iTrack. But I changed all that for the new pedals I got, along with setting up a board for them.

So the board has a ProTone Pedals Scaccinator (a la Ministry series), MXR A/B and Super Badass Distortion, a TC Electronic Polytune, and my AmpTweaker TightMetal Pro and new FatMetal Pro. I wanted to track one guitar with two distortion chains at the same time. I've got a variety of software chains to use in iOS, and will use a Komplete Audio 6 with the MBP so I can loop the board back in for use with other stuff.

But here, this is the iPad on an IK Multimedia stand, Focusrite 2i2, USB 3.0 hub, the aforementioned pedals on a PedalTrain Jr., and my friend's Ibanez SIR27FD that I'm borrowing (for now ;)). I have a CME keyboard, Livid Instruments Guitar Wing (from the Kickstarter campaign), IK Multimedia iRig HD-A (from when I desperately tried using Android and Samsung's "SoundCamp" DAW), and AudioTechnica ATH-M50x headphones. I have lots of headphones, and usually have 10 year old Sony MDR-V6s that I'll reference stuff through. But I like the M50x for general listening, keeping the Sony, AKG, and Pioneer stuff for their respective disciplines.

Attached Files:

4. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Just the amps?

Jeebus.

5. JonathanCooper

JonathanCooper SS.org Regular

So, i've been working on my studio for a couple years now. Slowly saving up and getting new stuff whenever I can. I primarily use Studio One 3 with the Firestudio Project. I use NI Maschine for groove ideas and as my primary VST sound library. Also, I just finished my first EP project with my band With Every Wind. I would love it if you guys could give some mix critique. Our EP is free at our website: With Every Wind Band

Anyway here's my current set-up:[​IMG]

6. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoils = tr00

@JonathanCooper: Cool to see another Maschine user :) Love that thing! Surprised they haven't caught on in the metal community.

7. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

8. JonathanCooper

JonathanCooper SS.org Regular

@JohnIce I know! I love that thing. It's a great tool for coming up with scratch ideas, it has an amazing sound library and it's an awesome performance tool.

9. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Slight update, got the lights from Ikea discussed a couple of pages ago. Also in this pic: Me :lol:

10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Pics aren't showing.

11. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Some nice looking setups in this thread guys!
    I moved to a new place a while ago and are finally kind of settling in. Still need to get some speaker stands but otherwise, it works!

[​IMG]

12. phaja_

phaja_ SS.org Regular

My small corner in my home. :)

[​IMG]

13. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

Finally got a nice love seat and finished decorating my studio.
    [​IMG]

14. GORILLAWALLACE

GORILLAWALLACE GORILLAWALLACE

my laptop became a desktop when it had an encounter with a bottle of sunscreen and started corroding. still runs like a charm.

also I don't like to spend money

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Enselmis

Enselmis SS.org Regular

Ayyy, we must be the only Amphion owners on this whole forum. Are you satisfied with those corner bass traps? Any idea how they're made? I always see the big cylindrical ones but I've never found any DIY info on making something like that.

16. TonyFlyingSquirrel

I had Auralex do a room analysis. They provided their technical recommendations, like moving the desk to the window as it would take advantage of the longer room dimension to allow lower waveforms to fully develop. I have some new curtains coming, and some corner fills on the next pay period.

Here's the thing. They recommended about $1500-$1800 worth of materials, which was out of my price range. I sourced similar materials through vendors on Ebay for about 1/10th of that price putting my entire investment into this room at about $200 including some nice flat Valspar interior paint.

As you enter the room,
    [​IMG]

Further into the room.
    [​IMG]

A quick glance at the west wall to the left after you enter into the room.
    [​IMG]

A room shot of the west/north wall moving toward the seated position.
    [​IMG]

Same view, but with more of the lower portion/floor so you can see my pedal board.
    [​IMG]

The North to East Wall.
    [​IMG]

A higher shot of the East wall.
    [​IMG]

Behind the iMac and studio monitors. These were free, I spent no $$ on these. They are packaging squares that are perforated and work wonderfully to trap low end.

[​IMG]

All absorption products were applied using velcro tape. I purchased a 15' roll at Lowes for under $20, cut them into 1" segments, fluff side to the foam, rigid side to the wall. The smaller 12"x12" squares are nice and light and worked fine on their own. For the larger pieces on the North wall/mixing location, I helped them by using longer sections of velcro tape, and use some tacky spray to help them stick to the foam better. These are significantly heavier than the smaller pieces.

I used Flat interior paint by Valspar. When I had the room gutted, I did notice that the 15ms flutter echo wasn't as bright sounding, even prior to room treatment. Having done another room in gloss some years ago while I still lived in Ca. I can definitely tell that flat paint versus glossy paint is the better route to go if wanting to treat the room appropriately.

Once painted, and foam applied. The flutter echo is gone from the room, but, there is a slight early reflection between the East and West wall in the untreated areas, particularly at about 5 ' in height. Once I added the traditional bow/quiver/arrow array on the West wall, and the headpiece, and photo on the East wall, they are pretty much eliminated.

I still have another couple of pieces to hang, like the canvas painting on the floor, another poster on foam core board that is behind the door, and I've got 3 ea 12"x12" square foam pieces on the door itself.

The glass mirrored closet doors are coming out, and will be replaced with custom ordered curtains from Ikea, they'll just slide back & forth easily, but will dampen further waveforms. You can see my gigging 6 guitar briefcase in the right hand portion of the closet, unseen is the other side to the left, which just has all of the cases stored vertically.

I'm running Pro-Tools 12.5 something, and my M-Audio AV-40 monitors do the trick nicely. I rarely playback at more than about 60 db, or just above conversation level. The room sounds so much more objective now, and translates as nice as my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones do. My interface is an Avid Fast Track Duo.

All in all, I could not be more pleased. My Mac is maxed out with 32gb of RAM and performs flawlessly, no dropouts, no glitches.

17. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

18. TonyFlyingSquirrel

Edit button is nowhere in sight, so here's the missing shot of the closet area.
    [​IMG]

19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

Updated with corner fills. The difference these make in taming standing waves is very noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

My home studio.

[​IMG]

Thank God that tv doesn't exist anymore :lol: