Show us your home studio setup!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by -Nolly-, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Do you work for GIK acoustics, or are you just pushing their products aggresively just because you are a fan?

Yes I know that there are better solutions than the foam, as I also stated, but there is a big difference between spending 30 pounds on foam enough to fix most things about a room, and then paying 130 pounds per trap or alternatively spending a good amount of time going DIY.

It also has to be taken into consideration that I do not mix a ton of records, but merely my own work, and once in a while I mix for friends. So spending 500 - 1000 pounds on getting the best solution possible is not an option at this time. Yes I may upgrade the acoustic treatment at some point, and it maybe that I just add 50 pounds worth of bass traps. It may also be that I buy products from someone else than GIK acoustics.

Furthermore it should also be taken into account that I am already fairly satisfied with my mixes. They are somewhat close to my favorite commercial releases and they translate very well to other systems. So I am not looking for some major fix to improve my mixes, I already like where it is at. With the foam I was hoping to improve my already good mixes abit and I am sure it will help do just that.

2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

My apologies! You seem to have everything under control. Since I do not work for GIK I will stop "aggressively pushing their products" too. With "foam," room treatment obviously will not be an issue anymore.

3. Beron

Beron SS.org Regular

My

[​IMG]

Cant get the image to show properly :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Metalworker

Metalworker SS.org Regular

Here's me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. torqueofficial

torqueofficial Torque

I've got a tremendously simple setup: MOTU Audio Express + M-Audio - Studiophile AV 40 + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + Toontrack + A bunch of free VST Plugins.
    [​IMG]

6. Metalworker

Metalworker SS.org Regular

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

where did you get those lights/lamps in the corners? what are they called?

7. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Apologies if I'm out of line here, but I love those things too. Not sure where he got those but Walmart has some that look very similar... Mainstays Rice Floor Lamp- $44.97 each. Fantastic ambiance in that room... jealous.

8. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

^Ikea also has some very similar lights, which cost like nothing haha

9. Tirmu

Tirmu SS.org Regular

Not out of line at all! Sumsar nailed it - they're these: MAGNARP Floor lamp - IKEA

10. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

My humble, updated setup, I call it WARdrobe studio - because it's placed in real wardrobe. My GF's part has clothes in it, I have my gear in it :lol: I had to install drawer in it, so I can pull out "table" out of the wardrobe. Reason for it is simple - on the left side there is window and it gives me some extra space for my headstock, as you can see on the second picture, there are small dings on the wall from hitting it with my guitar, when I was not careful while playing :wallbash:

I replaced my old audio interface (NIKA6) with Audient id22 which refused to work as intended on my old Windows laptop, I spent a week or two troubleshooting and fixing it. Then I gave up and I switched to MBP 13" 2015 :lol:

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]
    signal chain is following:
    Guitar -> Turbo Tuner -> ISP Decimator -> JT Amps TS808 clone -> DI input on ID22 -> H9 wired in stereo in the loop between ID22's micpres/DI input and AD converters

all is meant as silent practicing/recording rig, so I mainly use headphones (Ultrasone Pro 2900). As for cheap computer speakers, hanging on the wall, I don't use them very often, just for listening or checking mixes on crapy speakers, but they sound really good for the price.

I'm planning to add small tube amp to the setup and build iso cab instead of rackbag and the mess that's underneath table

11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:

I don't know if I can call that a home studio yet, as the only way to record anything at the moment is using the minidisc in the second picture :D Anyway, I didn't really manage to capture the general vibe. It's pretty funny with all kinds of car parts, guitar parts, tools etc. mixed and then my computer's in the middle :D It's a mini ITX built into the xbox 360 case by the way. + The temperature is usually around 10-16C (50-60F), so I don't have to worry about anything overheating :lol:

12. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Wow, now thats a man cave :lol:

13. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yep, it really feels like a cave :lol: The ceiling's so low, I have to hunch while walking around there. And there's a pretty big pile of firewood right next to my "desk" :D
    I'm thinking about trying to insulate that particular area a little, just to keep it a little warner and less humid. Then it'll be a pretty convenient place to record home demos at :) But we'll see about that once the rest of the house is done (I'm not building or renovating anything, but we just moved, so most of our stuff's still in boxes).

14. col

col blah.

My mixing setup, tracking is done elsewhere. Ikea hack desk and some Wavewood panels, Lynx E22 card and Adam A5X.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In case anyone is interested, I installed the acoustic elements by gluing some cardboard onto the back, then hammered one of these into the wall and cut a slit into the cardboard to hang the element onto the hook.

[​IMG]

The corners are even less fancy than that. :D I made a "guide rail" on the sides from the plastic hooks and slid the elements behind that.

15. Metalloutd

Metalloutd SS.org Regular

mmmm ok Things change :yesway:
    [​IMG]