Should I losen or tighten my tross rod?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by GuitaristOfHell, Nov 24, 2010.

1. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

The action for me isn't cutting it. Low on frets 1-3, and higher on 12+. I want to reverse that should I tighten or loosen my truss rod? It's quite bothersome for the action to like that for my taste. Any suggestions?

2. Razzy

Razzy [10]

Tighten it about 1/2 a turn, and see where that gets you. I like to think of truss rods like trems. You're fighting string tension, so if it's pulling towards the strings, you need to tighten it to compensate.

GuitaristOfHell likes this.
  3. joaocunha

joaocunha A nomad Contributor

Hey,

I'd provide photos of that. Action is governed by many different parameters - bridge adjustment, nut, truss rod or even a twisted neck.

João

4. GuitaristOfHell

Right= Tight Left= Loose right?

5. Razzy

Razzy [10]

If it's low at the nut though, and high at the 12th fret, it's almost certainly going to be taken care of by a truss rod adjustment.

Yessir

6. GuitaristOfHell

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Now to get to work. I would get photo's but I have no camera.

7. guitar_player4_2_0

guitar_player4_2_0 SS.org Regular

I have always wondered about this, I was always scared to adjust my truss rod on my own. Didn't want to break it off in the neck or anything crazy like that. I thought if you had too much bow in the neck you should relieve tension, not add it. My action is higher at the 12+ as well, but I thought the truss rod pulled in the same direction as the strings.:scratch:

8. Razzy

Razzy [10]

It doesn't. It pulls against them.

"Bow" in the neck is when it's bending backwards, so in that case, yes, you would loosen the truss rod. When it's bending towards the strings, it's called "relief," and if there's too much relief, you need to tighten the truss rod to fix it.

9. GuitaristOfHell

Do I do this adjustment up to tune, or do I detune?

10. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

Don't go adjusting your truss rod willy nilly, you need to know what you're doing, it is easy if you know how and have the right tools, I use metric feeler gauges, you need .30mm and a capo, put a capo on the first fret and press a finger on the high e at the fret closest to the body (~18th usually) then measure the string spacing between the string and the 8th fret, you want it down to about .30mm, if its too high, loosen the string tension right off, and tighten the truss rod about a 1/8th turn, tune it back up and then measure again using same method, repeat until its right.

11. Razzy

Razzy [10]

I adjust it up to tune. I've never really followed the whole, detune, turn 1/8th of a turn, let it sit overnight and see where it's at routine. I've been doing my own setups for 8 years, and I've yet to break one, and I've gotten positive results 100% of the time, so I don't really think it's as fragile as people make it out to be.

12. GuitaristOfHell

I've heard they're fragile as hell so I was extremely paranoid because my guitar has a set neck and cost me $400+ so screwing it up isn't an option. So I'll probably do a 1\8th turn tonight sometime before I go to bed and see where it's at in the morning and go from there.