Should I Give EMG HZ H4's Another Try

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by op1e, Jun 5, 2018.

Ebay or Nah?

1. Sell that garbage

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. No they can be good

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I got an F200 with the Afterburner and they were very clanky and bright. Ripped the bridge out for a used 81 wired straight to the jack. Now in my Affinity Jassmaster they might be ok for rock/metal with a coil tap option. Or maybe in my crappy Bullet Strat. Maybe they need a 500k to 1m pot to roll off the highs? I'm not hearing what the love these get. I have a set of LH150's that are 1st in line for the Jazzmaster cause I know I like those. Ebay, yay or nay for the auction block?

2. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I never digged the HZ models

3. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

They don't get love. The EMG HZ series is pretty much universally hated everywhere online.

Only guy I know who plays them is Alexi

4. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Do you do your own pickup installations, or want to learn without risking fucking up something nice? Do you mind spending your free time that way?

5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Nope. Save your money. Even a Duncan Designed Detonator is better than the HZ.

6. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

and his tone is horrendous on its own! he sounds great in mix when he is with COB but even then I always thought his tone wasn't the greatest.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  7. Don Tonberry

Don Tonberry SS.org Regular

Wouldn't a 500k or 1m pot make it worse? 250k or 300k pot is what you'd want to roll off the highs, no?

I'm kinda tempted to try out an H4 with a Blackouts preamp since the preamp is so dark. Wonder if the darkness would counteract some of that shrillness into a balanced tone.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

yeah if he's trying to roll of the high end and make them less bright, going with a 500k or 1meg will make it worse. Capacitors will have an even bigger effect on the high end roll off, with the bigger the value giving a darker/warmer sound (IE .1ufd is quite dark/warm and is used with single coils sometimes, most gibsons use .047ufd which doesn't take off as much high end)
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/08/08/tone-capacitors-work/
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/guitar/customize-your-caps/

9. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I meant the love that the H4's get, not the others. I unfortunately moved my Detonators in a trade for an F-200. They were in my Squire Standard. They were actually pretty good. These H4 are gonna go. If I need more cheap pickups I'll go Dragonfire.