Should I get a boost pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by haydn, Jul 10, 2012.

1. haydn

haydn SS.org Regular

I just bought an ENGL Blackmore and for the most part I like it a lot, but with one of my guitars (Ibanez RG1570 w/ Dimarzio Evolutions) solos/leads sound very thin, trebly, and harsh. I tried turning down the treble and presence but no luck. I do a lot of shred so this is definitely an issue. Would a boost such as a TS9 help in this situation?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

Maybe try changing pickups? From what I've heard, the Evo's are pretty brittle and harsh for lead work. Maybe try the CL/LF setup? They're supposed to be godly for lead work.

3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

It might. If you turn the TONE knob down (counter clockwise) all the way, it rolls off quite a bit of high end. Or an EQ pedal will do just as well, maybe better actually. I don't like 'boost pedals' with Engl's or old Marshall's. They just thin out the tone even more.

Stock tubes?... get rid of em'. This is one of the few amps that I like JJ's in.
    Vintage 30/T75 or clones?... no good. Try G12-65/12M/12H, or if you can find them, V60's.

But sounds like that EVO is just too bright for that guitar/amp/speaker combo.

4. pentecost

pentecost SS.org Regular

ditto, not sure the tubescreamer is the direction to go. you'll get the mid bump, but the extra fizz might just add to your treble problems. you could buy and return at your local big box?

5. haydn

haydn SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that the cab is an Orange PPC412 (V30's), so that could be the problem as wakjob mentioned.

I'm not sure I want to get rid of the Evolutions because I just got them and they sound good through other amps/my practice setup. I'm going to look into getting a cab with Greenbacks (was already looking to get a 2x12 cab), and I'll probably pick up an EQ pedal too.

6. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss SS.org Regular

An EQ pedal will probably help more than a boost. Ever try Vintage 30s and Greenbacks together? Killer combination:metal:

7. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

i think changing your pickups will be the best choice.

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer

Have you tried adjusting your pickup height?

9. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Seeing as a boost will not set you back too much $$$, i'd grab one. I definitely prefer my leads boosted, it's just creamier, maybe even a little thicker. Plus OD pedals are good for quite a few tones, so you'll end up using it somehow.

10. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

I traded my TS-9 for a MXR ZW OD to fatten it up and had never been happier.

11. Luke Acacia

Luke Acacia STRAYA

A good eq can make a slice of bread turn into a recto.

12. VBCheeseGrater

Big difference? How do the ZW and TS compare?

13. GuitaristOfHell

ZW boots a hell of a lot more and with my amp being dry in it's nature I can use not just the level but add some distortion so it's not cardboard but fat and clear. The TS-9 doesn't boost as much but has more mids in my experience however the ZW is by no means scooped.

VBCheeseGrater likes this.
  14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

And if I were to use a boost. The Xotic BB preamp would be the top contender.

Flat eq, no mid bump, transparent.

If you really like that pickup/guitar combo, don't change it. You just need to find a good workaround.

15. VBCheeseGrater

Cool, i may have to give the ZW a shot. Dryness is something i've been noticing lately with my Blackstar, at least when it's boosted. Without starting a whole new thread, if anyone has one for trade message me.

16. GuitaristOfHell

PM me. I may trade you it.

17. Sdrizis89

Sdrizis89 SS.org Regular

Most likely better off with an EQ instead of a boost. I've heard most engls don't sound as good with a boost but to each his own. I have an engl savage and do not boost it but boost my marshall with an OD808.

18. TheProgWay

TheProgWay SS.org Regular

TS-9 may not help much, it will just balance out your levels and tone