Shit, i need help with my RG2228

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Robot Lord of Death, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Robot Lord of Death

Robot Lord of Death Sol Niger worshipper

I am way too fucked up to even look for a general discussion thread.

I was tuning my RG2228, for the first time since my purchase the 5th march, i noticed some buzz on the 7th string when played open, i thought it was the string height, i tried adjusting it, the retarded docs on the brigde didnt tell much on how, i tried the screw that looked most relevant to string height, suddenly *CLACK* and the string went completely loose. I tried anything i thought would help, screwing the thing back in place, trying to tune it, nothing helped. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow and maybe demand a full refund on the thing, i dont want guitars made by assholes that cant properly document their individual guitars.

Sorry if i sound like a troll or anything, i am just mad and really fucking AARGH, i was gonna record a song tomorrow.. but i guess thats gonna wait FOR A VERY LONG TIME :( :realmad:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

2. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

...Is anything actually broken? Which screw did you unscrew? If the string went slack, then it sounded like you either loosened the intonation screw or the bolt holding the string into the bridge.

The relevant screws to string height are the bolts on either side of the bridge, and the bolt at the back of the bridge. The individual string heights aren't adjustable (unless you do some shimming) as it is not necessary as the radius of the bridge matches the radius of the fretboard. Hence, you could have raised the bass side up a bit, but that would have raised the 8th string the most etc.

As to the buzz, it could have been that you have a too thing string for your B, or that it was a dud string. There could have been a problem with the guitar, which is unlikely as it is a Prestige so the QC is pretty good.

Could you explain the situation a bit more? Then we could possibly sort it out now, rather than you having to take it to the shop and be angry :)

3. Robot Lord of Death

Hmm theres like two/three screw thingies where the string is mounted, one directly below the string wich i cant reach without removing the string, and another that looks like a torque screw, at the far end theres a funny dial thing i dont need a tool to adjust with. I must have loosened the thing that keeps the string, i am pretty sure actually, now that i know that i just need to know how to put it back again, just screwing it back didnt help for a damn :(

The string buzz only happended after i tuned the thing.

4. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

Yeah it sounds like you did the torque screw. To put it back, you essentially stick the end of the string in the hole, and tighten it. I think there may also be a tiny little block to go in there as well... There is a chance that may have fallen out. What happens when you try and tune it up to the right pitch?

Out of interest, what pitch are you tuning it to and what gauge is the string?

5. Robot Lord of Death

Hey its fixed now, its in tune again, but theres still that annoying buzz :(

I use the strings it game with, i *think* its a .68 gauge string, i tune it to the factory standard Bb

Edit: The buzzing fixed itself when i reattached the string. Thanks for help, man :)

6. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

From mad & pissed and ready to dump 2K guitar in trashcan to happy and recording... all in less than 2 hours. Thank you helpful sevenstring.org users! lol...:hbang:

7. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

TS, do some heavy interwebbing on how to set up those bridges. I guarantee there's hundreds of vids or at least documents on how to set them up. It's something everyone who owns a 2k+ guitar should do ;). Glad you've got it in working order :cheers:

8. BTFStan

BTFStan BTFStan

yeah not gonna lie dude, the 2228 bridge thing is weird, and probably something a lot of us aren't used to. glad you got it figured out.

9. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

The RGA8 does have the same bridge does it? When I looked at that thing from my band member I couldnt figure out how to set it up, which screw does which thing.. its magic for me haha. Glad it worked out for you!

10. ViolaceousVerdance

ViolaceousVerdance SS.org Regular

The same thing happened to me, man! I was in a hurry recording stuff and my A string was just like "lol peace!" 45 minutes of fuxing with it later, I got it worked out, but my heart goes out to anyone that has to fight with the 2228 bridge. Glad you got it workin!

11. Diggy

Diggy Banned

take your 2228 to a tech and have him to a show and tell with you.

12. Diggi

Diggi SS.org Regular

Also, check the fine tuning adjusters on the bridge. Sometimes when those screws are a little loose, they can rattle the whole fucking thing. I've had to tighten them down (annoying) so that the slight amount of buzz that is produced by them being "loose", goes away.

13. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

the RG2228 bridge is basicly a fixed/blocked trem bridge (without the springs and block).
    It's VERY easy to adjust, and you can find all the info you need about it from the Ibanez website.

Also, how's the neck relief? Neck bow can also cause string buzz and affect the action.

14. Xiphos7

Xiphos7 SS.org Regular

I have the same bridge (6 string version) you have to make sure the string is in really deep before you tighten the screw, otherwise it'll just slip out
    sometimes you have to fiddle around with the block to make it allow the string all the way through, it is a little tricky :/