Shipping Combo Amps Overseas

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by narad, May 15, 2018.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Just curious -- I'm shipping a bunch of amps on a pallet in a couple weeks and each additional amp in the pallet is essentially shipped free. I'm curious how much I'd be saving by extending myself a bit, maybe buy a 1-2 more combo amps before the move.

Anyone have some hands-on experience to know, say the cost to ship a combo between the US and another continent? For me this will be between US/Japan, but I'd be curious to hear any estimates really. I assume these are all like ship by fedex air... pretty large boxes, pretty heavy packages, I imagine it could get pretty hefty.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I once sold a Mesa Road King combo and had to ship it to Australia, not quite Japan, but I imagine it's similar in pricing.

This was back in 06'/07', shipping came out to around $300, if I remember correctly, through UPS.

I've shipped guitars and pedals to Japan and it actually wasn't too bad. Around $100 for the guitars and maybe $65 for pedals. I always pack myself though and choose "slow boat" with the cheapest tracking.

3. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I don't have any experience shipping combos overseas, but I've shipped enough of them just within the U.S. to know that they're so expensive that I don't even bother with that anymore.

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Slow boat is an option on UPS or a different carrier?

My gut says, wow, shipping a combo to Japan should be super expensive. But then I remember meestursparkle sending loads of weird guitars to the US. Doublenecks and Vs and explorers. And most were free shipping / $125, DHL usually.

Yea, I shipped a combo Baltimore -> Texas earlier this year and I remember it being stupid. I think it was $200 to box it and ship it insured, but I know I definitely did not wind up using the smartest/cheapest strategy.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

By "slow boat" I meant the slowest, cheapest option that was still insured and tracked. Yes, UPS. I'm not sure if they still have it, but when shipping something classified as "oversized", which most amps will be, they had two or three tiers for pricing. I remember it taking a stupid amount of time and the tracking being almost useless, but it did make it unharmed.

You have to realize, guys like meestursparkle are building the shipping price, at least partially, into the pricing of the guitar. Especially for the more esoteric pieces. I'm also fairly confident with all the business he was doing five or six years ago he was getting a business shipping rate.

Freight is probably going to be best bang-for-buck option.

If you're moving due to work, perhaps look into claiming it on your taxes. I've done that when moving between states. Not sure if that applies to your situation or not.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well I'm all set for this move, but I don't currently have all the combo amps I want and they wind up being very expensive in Japan :( So this is more like, "How much will I have to pay for that Two Rock head + 2x12 in 6 months" sort of thing.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I shipped just a head to Spain, the cheapest method I could with a tracking number, and it was $160, like 8 years ago. I'm sure it's double now.

I tried shipping a 26" cube to Ireland recently, and it was well over $300, and it was just pillows! Because the box was so large, it made the "dimensional weight" (when they factor size and weight together) skyrocket!

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

If you can essentially ship for free and amps are more expensive here, isn't it a no brainer to buy in the US and bring it with you?

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It is if I had tons of money right now to buy those amps. I already have to pay for the move, new furniture and appliances, 2 months deposit, and probably key money... so throwing any more amps in the mix now should be financially worthwhile in the longterm, to justify the shortterm financial discomfort.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Guitars are a bit cheaper because they are are all around the same size and light.
    Combos are heavy as shit and the price goes up exponentially with weight.

Taxes are also different going into japan then out of japan.

If you could swing some gear I would definitely pallet it.

I had 3 cabs and 8 guitars freighted when I moved and I totally regret not bribing more stuff over.

narad likes this.
  11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

You can ask your agent or check the listing if there's key money, which is probably a good idea because it's typically 1-2 months' rent. If you paid 2 months deposit there's probably no key money. Usually there's a 1 month agency fee. But yeah I get it. I didn't break even after moving until my third month, including spending my signing bonus lmao.

Also used stuff sells pretty well if the specific brand is weirdly stupidly expensive here, like most California-made gear.

narad likes this.