Shawn Lane Tone

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by includao, Oct 31, 2006.

1. freepower

freepower SS.org Regular

To be honest, unless your hands are flexible enough to do the bent back thumb thing comfortably, I think it's a bad idea. If it happens naturally (a lot of people can easily hyperextend their thumbs :lol: ) then it's really not a huge deal, it certainly won't make you better than just angling the "normal" way, it's just another way of cutting through the strings a little easier. :)

A few other guys that do it are George Benson and Tosin Abasi, both very, very nifty players. :)

2. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Ah, there you are! :)

Yeah, absolutely +1 on the above. Trying to perform with the bent thumb style only causes massive tension if you're not physiologically disposed towards it - I found it slowed me down quite significantly compared to "Vanilla" style.

3. suffo20

suffo20 SS.org Regular

The top photo is how I hold my pick exactly. I have tried to tilt my pick the other way and play normally but I just cant do it cause I have been holding my pick that way for so many years. For me..I had to learn to really relax my picking hand holding it this way because if I tense up too much then I start to push my force of the grip of the pick back into my thumb and it causes my muscle between my thumb and first finger to swell so much that I end up losing the control of the pick and cant pick right. But I have learned to relax it alot.

4. marshall law

marshall law SS.org Regular

Just to confirm from shawn lane himself on the REH power licks video, shawn used Dimarzio PAF pro's in both the charvel 750xl as well as the ibanez. the ibanez's PAF pro was a air version which dimarzio only made for him but you can mod any PAF pro yourself by removing the metal screw retainers and leaving a gap between the magnets edge and polepieces.
    His vigiers came with Dimarzio air classics.

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

^^^ Congrats on necrobumping this thread after 3-4 years, man... -.-
    Nady TD-1, anyone?

6. marshall law

marshall law SS.org Regular

so you are saying the info is outdated and not usable?

7. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Anyone uses his augmented fourths tuning ?
    Is it comfortable ? What string gauges do you use ?

8. pawel

pawel SS.org Regular

A big benefit is finding out that the original photo in the OP is mine ;)

I have tried picking like this for a bit, but never had the speed and accuracy to fully benefit from it and given that it did not work with my hybrid picking, I ended up dropping it.