Shawn Lane Tone

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by includao, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Stengah_2012

Stengah_2012 Back from the dead

I've found a web page that talks about the Charvel 750XL (link), and it states that it had a short scale neck. I'm guessing a 24.75" scale? Can anyone confirm this?

I'd love to build something similar to this guitar through Warmoth eventually. They're actually quite stunning, I had always though Lane played some sort of Soloist. :wallbash:

EDIT: I apologize for the thread derail, by the way!

2. Blackrg

Blackrg SS.org Regular

yes, They are gibson scale and they rock

The other Jackson?Charvel that has the similar scale is the Fusion

Dont know why companies dont make these superstrats

I have the Warmoth conversion neck myself, and they are great

3. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Aye, its a 24 3/4" (Gibson) scale and they are indeed bloody gorgeous. They were only a very short production run but I can honestly say that while it is a "dream" guitar the second-hand market really is dodgy as a lot of the examples are fairly well-loved :)

4. Excalibur

Excalibur :O

I've got his Guitar on backlist for my 20th birthday present, I'm pretty psyched :)

5. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

The Vigier sig. model?

Very nice indeed - I want one SO badly given how easy they are to play and the fact its almost a perfect 6'er imo (that, or a Parker Fly Mojo).

6. Stengah_2012

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I take it Lane used a 24.75" instrument because of his hands being smaller? At least, compared to guys like Paul Gilbert, for example.

I've been so wrapped up in longer scale guitars (27"+) because of lower tunings, but a 24.75" scale would make the stretches a hell of a lot easier. It's not a bad idea for me either; my palms are wide, but I have shorter fingers, so a 1-5 fret stretch is my maximum on a 25.5" scale guitar.

Does anyone know what pickups were used in his Charvel? ShadyDavey, I know in one of your earlier posts in this thread (and the video that was posted) that Lane used lower output PAF style pickups (at least with his Ibanez), but I can't find anything about what his Charvel was loaded with.

7. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Ah, interesting question Rob - I don't actually know.

Those 750xl's came with Jackson pickups as standard of course, and they're actually quite powerful. They also come with a pickup cover on which Shawn has clearly removed but I have no idea if he kept the standards or switched in something else - he never really seemed to worry that much as long as they weren't too hot so I'd hazard a guess that they're standard.

I'll look around and see if I can dig anything up.

As for the scale - yeah, it makes some stretches a little easier but there's not really a massive difference in the size of the frets, I think its simply that with a little lower string tension it feels more comfortable. I've never really thought about it too much as I had both 24 3/4 and 25.5 length guitars but my main was a DC 200 in 24 3/4.

The Vigier's are 25.5 so it might be that he just liked the way they sounded? :)

Edit:

Did some digging - the later 750's didn't have pickup covers, but I haven't found much about the actual pickups themselves....*back to searching*...

8. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Judging by the interviews I've read, it doesn't seem like he was hugely fussy about the specifics of his guitars. It seems like the only consistent element was a totally straight neck and stupidly low action, which I suspect is what attracted him to the Vigiers...

Just looking on the Vigier website as I type this. Apparently the PUs in his sig were Dimarzio Air Classics, but I don't know if that was standard in all his instruments.

9. Blackrg

Blackrg SS.org Regular

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  10. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Aye, even with his (at the time) brand-new Ibanez he was very vague about pickups - I just don't think he worred too much as you say :)

Its all in the fingers :agreed:

11. Excalibur

Excalibur :O

The Vigier sig model indeed.

12. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

I feel I can only express myself with an emoticon:

:shred:

Or possibly two:

:drool:

13. justreleased09

justreleased09 SS.org Regular

`Q1
    Q`1Q`1Q11QQ

14. distressed_romeo

Ummmm...what?:scratch:

15. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Still no word on the effects (I suppose it could be from the Profex I know he used a couple of times) but a more comprehensive list of guitars:

Burst strat with BOA.
    White strat in the testing vid.
    Couple of different LPs.
    An SG.
    The Jackson Soloist.
    The Charvel custom model.
    A 7 string black Ibanez.
    An Ibanez S series in the guitar player tribute issue.
    The Roland guitar.
    Various Vigier's
    Richard Hallebeek's Brian Moore C90.

16. Stengah_2012

Cool info Dave, thank you. :yesway:

I'm obsessing over the Charvel 750XL now. I really, really want some sort of short-scale, mahogany superstrat, and I can't find one short of a custom shop or ordering various parts through Warmoth or other similar companies.

17. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Its not really a popular choice for many people but I don't really know why. I guess some people are opposed to the short scale?

The only real options are a Carvin (I had a DC200 that was quite awesome and for a little more cash you could with a Mahogany body/ebony board kind of deal) or possibly a Caparison? The Carvin is clearly (at least in the UK) the cheaper option so other than waiting for a 750XL or equivalent to turn up on Ebay I don't know what to suggest.

(I'm fancying the idea of a short scale myself with my damaged digits so I have been looking).

Edit:

Would appear that as far as his Delay/Chorus its going to remain a mystery with the exception of the post-Profex era. Blatant quote from the MM forum:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  18. distressed_romeo

What about his compression effects, that's a huge factor in getting his clean tones?

19. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Yeah, its just down to unamed pedals. I'm doing some more digging but as he really wasn't a gear whore he just tended to use whatever he could get his hands on for the most part (the exceptions being the known guitars/amps etc).

The only other information (again, cut/pasted and thanks to the MM forum):

Sorry I can't help more - its perhaps one of those questions thats never going to be answered.

20. distressed_romeo

As you said, it seems like he wasn't really that fussy about anything in his rig...

It would almost certainly be more productive to just experiment with settings on your own rig to get his tone, and then examine his technique in great detail!:lol: