Shadow of the Colossus 4k Remake

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 15, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Tree, narad and StevenC like this.
  2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game- I still play the original pretty often- but how many times are we going to "HD Remake" the same game?

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

This was the only good part of the Sony conference, and now I'm buying a PS4.

Rosal76, narad and MoshJosh like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I am super excited.

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

> awaiting PS4 PC emulation

This is awesome news! But I also agree with TedEH. These companies just have to milk something for all that they can nowadays.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Fumito Ueda may have realized that taking 9 years to remake Ico but replace the female with a Colossus sized dog didn't make as much revenue as his most successful game, and opted to straight up re-releasing his most successful game. :lol:

Still, Shadow the Colossus is a masterpiece so I guess it's nice for all the guys who missed out the first time

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be fair, if I had a PS4, I would probably buy both of those games. Buuuuuut still.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Same. I mean, I'd have done it for the FF7 remake as well.

4K is really going to make the 15 minute drive to the next colossus a lot more bearable.

StevenC likes this.
  9. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I've been telling my friends how badly I wanted this game to be remade for so long now so this has me excited as fuck, I missed out on this when it was first released so I'll for sure be picking this up. Between this, the Crash Bandicoot remake, Anthem and the Horizon: Zero Dawn dlc I'm going to have no free time:banana:

10. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Question:

Can this game only be played on the PS4 Pro on a 4K screen or on all PS4's? Reason I'm asking is because I'm assuming that if the trailer is in 4K, that it can only be played on the Pro with a 4K screen.

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Sony said they weren't going to have exclusives for the PS4 Pro, so presumably this is playable on a regular PS4. They didn't actually call it SotC 4k or anything like that, either, and places offering preorders are only specifying PS4. The trailer is in 4k because games are being made in 4k now and can therefore be shown off that way.

The game will work on PS4, if only because the Pro currently makes up less than 10% of PS4s.

Rosal76 likes this.
  12. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

That's good to hear. I've always had a interest in this game but never got a chance to play it. The idea of beating enemies that big with primitive weapons seems really challenging but rewarding.

13. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

The PS3 version was a remaster. This is a full remake from the ground up.

14. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Don't get me wrong as I looooooove these games ( some of my all time Favs), but I was hoping it was a new game and not a remake. I also feel it kinda loses a bit of the artistic style and cuteness being "up- rezzed" and more realistic. , as soon as I saw the new version of the Hero I went "sigh" , Imo they made him look older and maybe more accomplished as a young warrior . His original appearance was more "vulnerable" and "pure/innocent", it made the story more impactful to me because of that . It just kinda takes away some of the charm to me. Maybe they can still pull off the "feels" ,we'll see.

15. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

It's good in the sense that people who didn't get the opportunity to play it on PS2 or PS3 now have the opportunity. On the other hand, it's ridiculous to have the same game released on three generations of consoles in a row. They could have just made the PS3 remaster available for download. There's no need to remake the whole game.

I guess we should be glad that game companies are willing to do whatever it takes to stay in business.

EDIT: After watching the trailer, I don't think the game looks the same as it did before. I think they are going to lose the feel of the original. It's gonna be Ibanez UV Premium all over again...

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I didn't own a ps2 until recently, and never had a ps3, so this is for me!! I hope it is considered just as good even if longtime fans apparently don't like the current look of it. I don't really want to go back and get the ps2 version and play that in 480p :D

On a related note, I played through FFX on PS2 about a year ago, and just got the PS4 remaster. And DAMN, having the PS2 so fresh in my mind gives me some conflicted feelings. In prettying it up, they introduced new character models, but then couldn't copy any of the facial expressions over, so we're left with the PS2 having vastly more expressive characters, but the PS4 looking a million times better in every single other regard. Argh.

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Honestly, a lot of the charm of the game, IMO, comes from how well they used the PS2s limitations, including how it looked on TVs of the time. Digging out the PS2 and hooking it up to a terrible CRT TV is still, in my mind, the right way to enjoy this game.

18. wankerness

A ton of the reviews I saw of the HD version were like "this is the same as playing the PS2 without the constant framerate dives!!" which made it sound like there was no advantage to playing it on PS2, unlike something like the FFX situation. The fact the HD pack with ICO costs less than the PS2 SOTC by itself makes me sad, but as I don't have a PS3 that should be irrelevant!! I'm mainly just really pissed that they didn't port the darn set to PS4, and according to this topic, don't seem to plan on it either. I mainly went for the PS4 due to a handful of exclusives, but the COMPLETE lack of backwards-compatibility, especially compared to Microsoft, annoys me a lot. It's like they want people to own both, even though PS3s seem to be breaking down right and left.

That set has always been the one thing that made me want a PS3, especially now that I have a PS4!!

19. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be fair, I don't have anything newer than a PS2, and haven't played the HD versions myself, so my opinion comes purely from a place of nostalgia- some part of me like to see games played in the context they were designed around. Old consoles on old grainy tvs, handheld games on handhelds, etc. Hooking up an old console to a nice new TV kind of kills some of the vibe. Or like how an emulator up-scales things so that you have grainy textures on top of super clean geometry. It's just not the same. :lol:

20. wankerness

I SORT of agree when it comes to 16 bit and earlier, where the sprites tend to look like crap if you don't put a CRT-emulation overlay on them. But anything polygonal? I will always take the newer release if it doesn't replace models, animations, and/or voice acting (that MGS1 remake pissed me off to no end, WHY DID THEY RE-RECORD IT ALL!?!! Same with Silent Hill 3). It's often the exact same assets, the same animations, the originals weren't artistically taking advantage of that CRT overlay as that's how polygons and textures on polygons work, and more than likely the originals had slowdown from their system's limitations!

I just played through the Uncharted 1-3 PS4 disc, and damn. There is NO reason to play the PS3 versions again.