Shadow KillPot - Volume/tone pot w/ built-in killswitch

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Kamikaze7, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

I just bought one of these after finding out about it. From the same company that makes the NanoMag pickup system and the tuner built into the pickup ring on the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 3, they also make this potentiometer called the KillPot.

It comes in 3 different versions: a 250K ohm for single coils, a 500K ohm for humbuckers and a 25K ohm for active systems. My review is based on the 25K ohm model, the SH 124-25 model.

Pros :yesway::
    This is a very cool thing. It allows you to wire it as either a volume or a tone pot. It's even cooler since the killswitch is built into the pot, avoiding the need to drill a new hole in the body of the guitar, or to remove a volume or tone pot that you currently use. It's easy to wire, and is easy to install like any other pot.

The killswitch is easy to use and activate. It's easily concealed in the top of the shaft of the pot itself. The shaft pushes down to activate the killswitch. So once it's installed, it looks like a normal volume or tone pot.

Cons :noway:
    I had initially contacted Shadow's head office in Germany about how to purchase this. Shadow does NOT sell to the public, but they do have plenty of dealers here in the US.

The initial cause for my Customer Support failure was due to a failure to reply after I replied for questions as to how to specifically wire this thing up. The diagrams can somewhat be kinda confusing at first. I had never gotten a reply back from Shadow, and they should have more specific diagrams for each version and how to wire as a volume or tone pot. The diagrams shown on the sheet included and online are shown as a tone pot in a typical LP or a 2 volume 1 tone application. So a better diagram(s) would help, as well as better customer service would be a plus as well.

The other downfall is the pot itself is a long shaft pot, ideal for use on a LP or any other guitar requiring long shaft pots. It can be used in place of a short shaft pot as long as you have the room to mount it.

Final Thoughts :yesway::yesway:

Like I mentioned, it's very cool and well worth the $25 bucks I spent on it including shipping. You can probably get this from one of your local dealers that can be listed on Shadow's website of Dealer listings. However, if your local dealer don't have one in stock, it can be ordered, but will take about a week to come in. So with that being said, you can probably get one from Ebay just as fast, and for the same price.

It's a great thing to be able to replace a volume or tone pot for a new one that has a killswitch built into it. Not to mention, be able to save your guitar body by not having to drill anymore holes in your guitar's body. I wound up installing this into my Stephen Carpenter 7-string, as it's the only other guitar I could put this in and functionally use (too many custom wirings to list here...). So with this installed in my Carpenter, it's actually really cool having the killswitch disguised as a normal volume control.

My report on functionality has yet to be discovered and determined, but Shadow guarantees 2 million pushes on the killswitch, so it should last a good while - even if your someone like Buckethead with the avid use of his killswitch. Like I said, for the $25 of this thing, it's very versatile and being hidden as a normal pot makes it even cooler and that much more unsuspecting.

More information about this can be found here:
    SH 124 Kill Pot

Attached Files:

2. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Their wiring diagrams are just like everyone elses... Pretty straight forward, and like most schematics requiring an understanding of wiring. Pretty sure my 500 was short shaft too.

These pots are indeed excellent though. The detent at 10 is nice, and the action is smooth.

3. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

Yes, I agree that the detent at 10 is cool and the same with the action being very smooth. But the 25K I got is definitely a long shaft pot, as I needed to use 2 more nuts then a washer to get me the height I needed the pot to sit at. And since it's a long shaft, it's definitely crammed in the Carpenter's cavity now (between the pickup wires, the solderless 5-way switch, Afterburner, 2x mini-toggle switches for coil splits of the 707TW's...) and trying to get the battery in there. But everything's in and everything works, so no complaints and am loving the KillPot!!!

4. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

The only thing I don't like is the very sharp taper on it. I do most of my dynamics with the pick though, not the knob.