Shadow Kill Pot wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TNihil, Mar 29, 2018.

1. TNihil

TNihil SS.org Regular

I´d like to install the Shadow SH 124-500A Kill Pot in my RG8 replacing my volume pot. I have two PU, a volume and a tone knob and a 2 way switch in my guitar.
    From what I understand so far, I have to simply replace my volume pot with the Kill Pot and
    wire and solder the same wires that are on my original volume pot.

Now, I used my phenomenal Photoshop skills to mark the regions I have questions about when it comes to wiring:
    1) are these four "tips" kinda pre-prepared regions to solder to?
    2) do I need to run a wire from and thru the hole on top to the hole beneath? If so, which material do I have to buy for this?
    Thanx in advance.

Their wiring diagram can be found here:
    https://shadowelectronics.com/products/sh-124?variant=39228634054

killpot b.jpg

2. TNihil

TNihil SS.org Regular

Reason why I´m asking here is: I´m not able to see any pictures about this on other forums cause they are no longer visible (via fotobucket etc). Any help welcome.

3. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

Don't solder anything onto those 4 tips on top, just use the thru holes. The two thru holes on top are for the momentary switch to kill the sound..one side connects to the output jack, the other is ground. The right vol pot lug should be grounded to pot, then solder the right top thru hole to the same spot. Your connection marked 2 is correct but you don't have to connect specifically to the thru hole down on the lug. Just solder it to the lug when you put on the wire to the jack.

TNihil likes this.
  4. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I found this pic..you can sort of see what to do..
    [​IMG]

TNihil likes this.
  5. TNihil

TNihil SS.org Regular

Thanx. This is very helpful to me.
    I was confused about soldering on the top plastic plate of the Kill Pot ´cause I have three soldering points on top of my original volume pot and thought it had to be done 1:1.
    So this is how my original wiring looks like (yet without the kill pot):

Wiring Diagram RG8.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  6. TNihil

TNihil SS.org Regular

Finally. Months passed but with the help of a buddy I was able to install the Shadow Kill Pot in my RG8. The first try left me having the pot control volume without the killswitch effect but I managed to solve the issue. In retrospective it´s easier than I thought. I can post a few pics og how we wired the thing. Tested it for about an hour end everything works fine. There´s some minor klicking noise using the killswitch but it´s okay so far.
    One thing I instantly noticed: I need to get a new Volume knob cause the RG8 knob is not flat or broad enough for my fingers as I keep missing it from time to time.