Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700 power amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 19, 2017.

1. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Yeahhhhh, that's a no from me. At that price point, I'd be going straight to Fryette.

2. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

3. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

The pedal version looks intriguing, as it has an EQ, something my 44 Magnum lacks, especially for live shows, but the 44 Magnum does such a great job that I can't see myself dropping $400 just for the EQ, essentially.

I asked EHX if they would consider a 66 Magnum, but they replied with a joke, :/

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

That's for the pedal....
    I'd rather buy another PowerBlock, used. Yeah its not a pedal, but they're proven reliable, similar wattage, stereo....and about 1/3-1/2 the price.

5. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

I got a 44 Mag today.
    Was going to wait on the Quilter 45 micro.
    I like the one switch and volume on the 44.
    Tomorrow my Tight Metal Pro will arrive.
    I hooked a Digitech Death Metal to 44 today with a 10 band and it sounded pretty good.
    My only problem with the 44 its hard to find a sweet spot between too loud and just right. I'm a bedroom player.
    I plan on upgrading to the Seymour 170 eventually because I am a brand whore.

6. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I can sell You one :lol:

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

If youre a metal guy youll be in heaven. I often use my mag44/tightmetalpro rig for practice and sometimes shows. At super high volume the mag44 gets a bit thin and harsh (approaching noon on the vol)

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have a Laney Pulse tube preamp pedal that would run into this (pedal version) perfectly for small shows, and an un powered Kemper that I can use the pedal version with to run into a 2x12 on stage for better monitoring whilst also sending the Kemper FOH with that signal with cab emulation on. Which given most stage wedges are terrible, that would really suit me.

Winner winner

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

new demo on the powerstage!

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

to bump this

We are 2 weeks away from these being available to purchase and Im seriously considering going down this route instead of the Rocktron 300 just because its new, intriguing and most importantly weights like 1lb whereas the Rocktron rack weights 18lb!!!!!!

The plan will be to mount it inside my rack case at the bottom next to the Line 6 Relay G10.

Anyone think that would work fine?. Also if I want to run stereo in the future I could buy another one. 1 each to power 2 seperate cabinets.
    Uk Price is £345

11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I saw a review on the axe fx forum, one guy prefers them over the matrix and likes how the EQ can be used for a quick eq change for different cabs or rooms without having to mess with global eq's in the axe fx.

I really like the look of the 170 and I may get one if I decide to go solidstate, I'm still on the fence if I want to find a used tube poweramp or just go SS.

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

see Im seeing similar positive reviews.

I think Im really going to go for it because not only does it look built so well, its compact and unbelievably lightweight vs the competitors. My cab only puts out 160watts max so I dont need anything massive power wise either.

I have a 6U and I will only be using 4U of that on stuff so Im hoping it will fit no problem at the bottom of the rack case under the rack stuff. As I said earlier I will be getting the Line 6 relay G10 (the new USB powered one) to sit next to it. Great all in one, light/compact, rack setup

13. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Maybe, but I don't to see how another solid state power amp is going to help with that!

14. Kisbori

Kisbori SS.org Regular

I think it was Mr Holcomb, who say that he's likes SD better than the matrix.

15. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

16. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

THIS is pure sex, I love my Helix Floor, but the rack is impressive looking, bet that slays.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Possible review on tone/power of the powerstage??

18. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

I had the helix floor originally but as time went on it just made more sense for me to swap over to the rack/floor controller.
    I just received the powerstage 700 a few days ago and havnt had a huge amount of time to tinker with it yet.
    First impression though is really good, I am currently running this rack into a 4x12 mesa cab in stereo and its got power in droves.
    I went with this poweramp because I really wanted something that would provide a transparent power source for my helix without affecting the tone considerably.
    After powering it on and plugging up I was amazed at how great my patches sounded with just a few quick turns of the EQ knobs on the powerstage.
    all of my patches I have been using on my helix have been played through a set of studio monitors with cab sims, with that being said I knew there would be some tweaking involved when moving these patches over to a cab. I will follow back up after a bit more time of playing through this rig and give you guys some more feedback.

the one downside i've run into which isnt a make or break it on this unit for me is that only the balanced outs are the only ones affected by the 3 band EQ on the front of the powerstage - the XLR outs which you would use for FOH are not affected, so im assuming that if you relied on the EQ on the powerstage to adjust the sound coming from your cab on stage, you are going to be getting a different tone coming from the PA. I'm sure the remedy to this is just adjusting your global EQ or adjusting your patches individually instead of relying on the EQ from the powerstage. Maybe someone else could provide better insight as to why that is.

rewihendrix and lewis like this.
  19. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Do the bass and treble behave like Resonance and Presence controls?

takotakumi likes this.
  20. chuggalug

chuggalug SS.org Regular

yes they do.