Seymour Duncan 805 vs Horizon Devices ‘Precision Drive’?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Paincakes, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Paincakes

Paincakes SS.org Regular

I haven't seen any posts / videos pitting these two pedals against each other.

I'm looking to upgrade from a TS808, and have my sights on either Seymour Duncan 805 vs Horizon Devices ‘Precision Drive’.
    My uses would be:
    - Tightening low end on a 6505MH (modern metal tone)
    - Boosting a Friedman Runt 50 for more gain (hard rock tone)

I know they have slightly different features (noise gate / tone shaping options).
    Does one have a clear advantage over the other, or is it down to personal preference?

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I know @Spaced Out Ace has an 805 so he can chime in on it, and probably sell it to you. Other than that; I have nothing to contribute :D

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've yet to try a Precision Drive, but I love my Duncan 805. It's not as aggressive for heavy rhythm playing as the 808, but is much more pleasant when layering on gain for solos or as a source of saturation for a less gainy amp/channel. The option to run 18v is a plus as well since it gives you more headroom. The three band EQ is pretty powerful, so it's easy to tweak around and find a good setting for just about any amp.

Paincakes likes this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

The EQ on the 805 is pretty awesome, and the gain knob seems to have more gain range than a tube screamer does. I think it'd definitely stack well with the Runt to give it more gain with the right volume and gain settings on the pedal. The bass knob should be able to help you dial in the right low end as well.

5. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

I use an 805 as full time boost on my 5153 LBX, and to tighten up the bass. I prefer it over the 808 after side by side testing. As TWAT said, it's not quite as aggressive as an 808. It's just a tad smoother. But in my opinion the EQ more than makes up for the small bit of aggression you might lose. While I think the 805 would do the job for you, I know nothing about the Precision Drive. Happy hunting!

6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The 805 certainly has more gain range than a TS...and the active EQ has spoiled me. I can't go back to a single tone knob anymore.

7. thrashcomics

thrashcomics SS.org Regular

I love my 805. Have not tried the PD.