Seven string with a floyd rose for a newb.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by DissonantTimbres, Dec 19, 2016.

1. DissonantTimbres

DissonantTimbres SS.org Regular

I've played 6 string guitars for about 7 years now and plan on getting my first seven string soon. I've never had a floyd rose equipped guitar and have wanted one for some time. I plan on putting a tremol-no in any floyd rose equipped guitar I buy so that I can more easily manage the tremolo system.

I've noticed that 7 string guitars stock with a floyd rose are rare and kahler, while clearly being the hassle free alternative are non-existent. Is there a reason for this? Does the 7th string negatively effect blancing issues on the floyd rose?

The only two I found were these.
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/banshee-elite-7-fr-s-cats-eye-pearl-detail
    My two issues with the Schecter are the finish on the neck and the headstock being asymmetrical (I'm a Fender guy.)

This one I have less problems with and the pickup switching options are awesome, although it's considerably more money and I'm not a fan of the blue finish or the mother of pearl on maple fretboard.
    http://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jb207c

2. blckrnblckt

blckrnblckt SS.org Regular

You can look for an Ibanez RG752. That has a Lo Pro and should be around the same price range as the guitars you listed.

3. Gram negative

Gram negative Christopher Horton

I seem to find more WITH a FR than without.

Saying that, check out Jackson. Or Ibanez. ESP also. They all make FR/Trem models.

4. bradthelegend

bradthelegend ESP Fanboy

Same here. There are so many great-looking 7s out there that I will never own because they have Floyds. :lol:

Several of the 7 string ESP LTD models come equipped with Floyds. If you're looking for an unfinished neck and in-line headstock, check out the Buz signature (older version is silverburst with maple fretboard) or the discontinued M-207.

5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

+1 for the Ibby 752

6. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

7. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

The blue Kiesel is obviously Becker's sig, but I'm pretty sure you could spec out one of their semi-custom choices to be similar enough but with your desired specs. If you don't see something you want on the online custom builder, you can always call them and ask if it's possible.

Great choice if you want SS frets. Otherwise, I agree with the others the Ibby RG752 is a great choice. Same for the RG1527 and RG7620.