Seven String Pickup Guide

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Digital Black, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

sorry if my bumping of this thread pisses anyone off... but i've read this entire thread and of the reviews i've seen for the blaze bridge, i don't recall the body wood being mentioned. if it was, it certainly wasn't mahogany (at least not to my recollection). at any rate, i have a maple neck-thru with mahogany wings in which i'm considering putting a blaze bridge. i also have a blaze custom, but i have ben warned against putting mahogany and the blaze custom together.

so basically i said all that to ask if anyone else has tried a blaze bridge in a solid mahogany or maple neckthru with mahogany wings or anything like that?

2. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

I think the Blazes were designed with basswood in mind, really, but Korn used to play mahogany guitars with a Blaze neck pickup in the bridge position, so I don't know why a Blaze bridge wouldn't be just fine. :shrug:

3. Konfyouzd

they played 7620s and UVs when they used blazes... those are basswood...

4. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

great reviews. one small crit, I would like to see a little more on how the pickup works with the woods of the guitar it's in.

but all in all a great review :yesway:

5. Neuraxiom

Neuraxiom hurf durf

EMG 707 on a cheap Dean Vendetta 1.7, with the 707 being the only pickup in the guitar at the time. I hear EMGs don't sound too different across different guitars. I run it through my POD XT Live using some of my own patches as well as some of the popular ones I downloaded from SS.org.

Bridge - 9V

People complain about the sound being compressed and bassy. I like it because I originally played bass and I only play fast metal. I can see where the pickup might come shorthanded for some other genres. It gives riffs an 'epic' feeling to it, but after a while that epicness tends to die off. It's a good pickup if you are obsessed with low end.

Bridge - 18V

Hmm, I liked this a little bit more. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference when I first switched. After a while, I noticed that the pickup was hotter and it picked up my mistakes a little more. The mids are more prevalent, but the rest was pretty much the same.

Neck - 9V

It sacrifices some of the lows to get more mids and highs. I really liked the highs, but I'm not much of a lead player so I can't say much about that department. This is a good position for rhythm.

Neck - 18V

The mids were disgusting. In a bad way. I couldn't stand it. It sounded like stock B.C. Rich pickups but with more bass. The highs were completely fine, but everything else did not mesh well.

Summary

I wish I had a pair of these so I could find the best 707 combination, but here's how I rank the sole pickup:

Neck 9V > Bridge 18V > Bridge 9V > Neck 18V

6. Valserp

Valserp Only plays 1 string

Seymour Duncan Blackout Metal
    Used in a Peavey Vortex basswood guitar.

The pickup is extremely hot, even with the jumper off(which is supposed to be a "normal-ish" volume setting).
    It has a ton of mids, mostly lower-mid voicing, and I strongly suggest against using it in basswood bodies, unless you want to get lots of mud.
    Did not pair well with my EMG60 in the neck. When the switch was in the middle position, I would only get the sound from the BOM, not both pickups combined.
    I guess it would work well with 1-pickup cavity alder guitars, such as the RR24 or Alexi models. Has lots of chug and sounds fantastic on leads. Picks up harmonics like crazy.

Edit: Oops, was I supposed to review it only if it was a 7?

7. Jaden

Jaden Luthier

I considered this myself, as an example I am roadtesting some PAF 36th anniversary pickups for about the last month or so, and I love them, others dont.. I wanted to write a decent review but found myself adding so many "if this" and "or thats" that it just ended up a jumble..
    before that I had d activators great pickups in almost any wood but I can hear the strong magnetic pull affecting teh oscillation of the strings, some are worse than others, when I mentioned this to someone and played while desribing this effect I got laughed at a bit and basically told that these things cant be heard, well..... I can hear them so..

what im trying to say is that is just far too subjective, people hear things differently.

I quite like the sound of a tone zone in mahogany, most people dont because they look at the spec of the pickup and the dark sound of the wood and then make the assumption that the whole setup will be too dark, I think the other way around.
    I think that you should (somtimes) try to fit pickups into a complimentary chassis, meaning that the natural frequencies of the wood are helping to get the most out of a pickup, having said that I wouldnt be in a rush to fit a humbucker from hell into an ash guitar ;) - once again, its subjective.

so, with such a subjective subject I wonder if its even possible to begin writing something that would be useable past what the manufacturers write..

I write a lot of reviews of the pickups that I sell on ebay, AFTER ive written a review i check the website to see what the manufacturer says, its normally very similar in a "general description" type of way..

anyway, im rambling now... some people look for clarity, some for raw power..
    your amp makes a big big difference, you playing makes more of a difference.
    your ear makes a big difference, sometimes we fill in the gaps we dont expect in sound with what we expect to hear - psycho - acoustics......

I suppose im saying that no matter if someone wrote a list, another would always disagree with many aspects of it...

J.

8. Yuri Landman

Yuri Landman SS.org Regular

I just rotate the pickups.
    If you want a seven string add one pickups and rotate it along with the bass or trebble section and give it a separate output.

Most Baritone guitars don't sound very well and too muddy when you play barre chords.
    If you splitt the bass string (I use a Bass D string tuned as a B) and send this to the bass amp, you get a much better more deep and broad result than with a mono signal.

If you want deep metal, spilt it up and you'll notice the difference in sound when playing a regular barre chord.

9. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Early K7s have Blaze pickups. (The neck version for both positions.) Now they use PAF 7s.

10. Konfyouzd

no freakin way! i didn't know that. i want an old K7 now... :agreed:

11. BigMikeBass

BigMikeBass SS.org Regular

Hey all,
    I'm making a Fender Jazz clone 7 string and I need to find some pickups... I'm putting a bartolini soap bar in but I also want it to have two fender style jazz bass passives with the same style coils and poles you'd find on an average j bass... anyone have any info for me?

Thanks very much,
    Mike

bigmikebass@gmail.com
    www.thejimmyswiftband.com

[​IMG]

12. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

I have the X2N 7 in my 7321FM, and it is awesome! It's probably my favorite bridge pickup, right now.

13. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

DiMarzio X2N 7.

Bridge Position.
    Ibanez RG7321FM
    Other Pickups in this guitar are a Blaze Neck in the neck position (I'll get to it later).

Ok, first things first; I thought that this might be a little over the top and too powerful for me, but I was wrong. This pickup is amazing for anything in your face and heavy as well as shred. It has a nice balanced EQ and reacts to picking dynamics like many other passives.

The clarity of this pickup is better than any EMGs I've played (and I love EMGs as well), it also has a seemingly higher output than the EMGs I've played. It has a growling rhythm sound and is fat yet tight and not muddy what so ever.

I must have extremely good luck with gear, because I've read a lot of complaints on the clean sound of this pickup and when I play clean, it has a very single coil sound. Now, I'm not saying that it has the best clean sound, because when picking hard it tends to break up, but picked lightly it's really a nice sounding pickup clean. The series and parallel sounds from it are awesome, as well; though, they aren't as full sounding like the full humbucker. In the middle position with the Blaze Neck it sounds awesome, again a little thing but that's fine, I don't use the middle position all that much anyway.

All in all I have to say this a really good pup and my favorite bridge pickup for the time being. On to...

DiMarzio Blaze Neck
    RG7321FM
    Neck Position

I'm glad I got this pup for the neck position, it's warm and fat but not muddy and has a remarkable clean sound.

I use my neck pickup for cleans and distorted leads, and this covers them all. I would like it to be a little more liquid sounding, but other than that it's a great pickup.

DiMarzios site EQs it with Bass 6.5, Mids 4.5, and Treble at 5.5; I can definitely hear a a scoop but it isn't mushy sounding at all (but I run my amp EQ with more mids and treble than bass). I have the pup wired in parallel, and it sounds great! It's hard to describe the sound of something, especially since sound is subjective. Some like it, some hate, some love it, and some tolerate it, but would prefer something else.

All in all, I have to say it gets the job done for me...... For now. :lol:

14. SlipknotKoRnfan

SlipknotKoRnfan Commercial Pilot. Ibanez Afficionado.

Are you sure? I have an '01 K-7 (first year run) and I'm pretty damn sure there are Paf-7's in it:scratch:

15. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Yeah, Munky and Head use(d) Blaze Necks in the bridge position of their UVs and put them in the very early K7 models, before they moved to the PAF 7s.

16. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

Carvin C26-T (Bridge pickup)

I'm doing this review for the neck position. Most people complain about these pickups, that they don't have clarity, tightness and warmth etc. Which I can understand but I tried this one in the neck. I thought, why not try since there's other people that have highpower passive pickups in the neck, Michael Romeo (Dimarzio ToneZone) Michael Angelo (Dimarzio Superdistortion) for example.

I sounds really good, very warm, and of course very powerful but if you have it a little bit longer from the strings than normal it doesn't get muddy, it sounds very warm, liquid with alot of attack and definition, surprisingly very clean also. Running my guitar into a Fryette Pitbull 100 CL (no clean channel) but I can still strum as hard as I want without any breakup.

If you like liquid shred tones for the neck this pickup is really a must try in the neck. Reminds a bit of Michael Angelo's sound without the high mids, lots of definition, sustain for weeks. It's also tighter than I tought it would be, if you have a bright guitar, try it in the neck! :shred:

17. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Sith Lord

Hi Jeff,

Sorry I just now saw your question. I never had any issues with getting harmonics on the Blackouts or EMG's. That's something I've been looking for in a passive pickup for so long, I WANTED a passive to have those qualities like the actives. I want a passive pickup do all the things I love about actives but with the woody, uncompressed dynamics and pick attack of a great passive.

I found that in the D-Activator! I still use the Blackouts and don't see that changing due to it's insane power and tone but I get all the power I need in the D-Activator with all the problems I had with actives (EMG's not Blackouts) like compressed, thin tone and virtually no wood tone eliminated!

I also like the D-Activator in the neck but I would love to see Dimarzio make a Humbucker From Hell7 or a PAFpro7 because I like those for the neck a bit more, especially the HFH.

18. dis89

dis89 SS.org Regular

Carvin C26 (neck and bridge)

I have these stock pickups in Carvin DC 727.
    The best IMO description for them is to compare the C26 to a PAF pickup of some kind. They give you clarity, dynamic, uncompressed sound, sound very well tapped, but with over the top high gain have lack of definition and have a muddy low end.

GOOD - verstatility, dynamics, high tonal range, clean sound`s great
    BAD - very demanding to your picking due to lack of compression you get in DiMarzios, for example. Wont go for extreme styles of music, only if boosted with an active preamp.

will go for fusion as a dream

19. AngryGoldfish

AngryGoldfish boy in a coma

Does anyone know whether Bareknuckle make the Nailbomb or Painkiller (or anything for that matter) in colours other than black? I want to stick a white one in the bridge of my Apex.

20. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

PM Zimbloth and ask him, or email Tim at BKP.