Seven String Pickup Guide

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Digital Black, Oct 10, 2004.

1. eegor

eegor Theoretical Reality

Hey, you wouldn't happen to have any recordings, would you? I'd love to here what it sounded like, just to make sure it's what I want.

2. the_arod

the_arod SS.org Regular

so would you advise the X2N-7 or D-Activator 7 for my Ibby 7321, if I'm only looking for some great rhythm metal action??:shred:

3. bulletbass man

bulletbass man Classical & Metal

Personally I'd say the d activator just because I know for a fact it is indeed awesome. The x2n 7 may be better though. If it isn't like it's six string version as ely said than it may be great.

The dactivator-7 does kick much ass though.

4. baracuda

baracuda SS.org Regular

I ve just bought my new Ibanez Rg 7321 black. Its got stock IBz pups which is honestly speaking not a top of the line ones. I play metal hardcore ,real tight riffs with lots of chunky parts. But I also like to play some melo stuff on clean sound. So here it is what Im desperetly looking for (im asking all of you guys who really knows what they are talking about): I want my clean as flexible and versitle as my distortion.

My distortion : For my distorted sound I want a pup that will give me - tightness,
    noseleness, its gotta be very articulated, agressive , easy for pitch harmonics, with a good sustein and overall just a cool alternative metal tone.

My clean: For clean sound im looking for a neck pup that will make everybody cry.
    I really wanna get a cool versitle, soul touching clean sound.

Before you guys say something you should keep in mind that i have a Basswood body
    guitar with 5 piece neck and rosewood fretboard. My bridge is fixed. You can e-mail me
    austin.bryen@yahoo.com
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

This thread is awesome. I read this in the Ibanez forum first. Thanks bulletbass man

Anyone tried the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90s?

6. robotsatemygma

robotsatemygma myspace.com/pygar1

EMG 707 Bridge
    Guitar: ESP LTD H-207
    Ash Body, Tune-o-matic Bridge, strung with Ernie Ball 11's
    Amp(s) used: Engl Thunder w/ Marshall 1960A, Peavey Rage w/ DS-1, Randall RM50 1x12, and Vox AD50 (?) 1x12

First extended experience with an active 7 string pick-up.

I'm very impressed with this pickup. I have never been a fan of active pickups, let alone EMG's. I've played a LTD SC608B w/ EMG 81-7's and wasn't impressed. Very dry tone that lacked punch and clarity and sounded horrible when played clean w/o effects.

Now the EMG 707 is a different story. This pick up does an excellent job of providing a high degree of precision, clarity, and body. It makes your accents pop more, and can be a unforgiving pick up if you play sloppy.

Clean: This pickup has a very clear tone with a nice snuffed mid high/high end. The bass response can be a lil farty on the low B if you pick hard , but can be helped a little with rolling your volume knob down. I've had some fun playing slap bass with this guitar and this pickup does an excellent job keeping up. It gives you the clarity, snap, and thud for doing it, and gives it almost a neck p/u experience on the higher strings. I'm digging it.

Overdrive: Wow. This pickup delivers all facets of music. If I want to sound mean and evil, it gives me that "djent" easily where anyone listening will start moshing. Bluesy soul solos? Covered. Jazzy runs with a bebop rhythm and then some... yea it does it. My only grip is, 32nd notes on the low B can start to muddy up easily if you're not careful. This can be cured by turning down the gain a little... but who wants to do that?:evil:

Being a picky person, I'm very impressed with the EMG707 and what it can do. I think this pickup will be around for a bit.

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

hey... i have read many reviews about the dimarzio new 7's being kind of muddy in the lower registers. i was wondering if anyone has tried disconnecting the tone pot or changing out the pots to 500k or even 1M? and did this help w/ the muddiness?

8. guitarjerry

guitarjerry SS.org Regular

Can anyone tell me the specs on the alnico 5 and 8 magnets? As in what size, what dimensions are they? I cant seem to find anyone selling them right now and am going to see about getting them from a magnet manufacturer but need specs

9. Jaden

Jaden Luthier

Tom, great thread idea mate.
    I have been thinking of doing one very similar for a while now but heve not found the time to write it.

the one thing that I would include in all these reviews is a benchmark pickup from each manufacturer in both the alnico and ceramic magnet types..
    personally I was going to choose the paf pro for the alnico and the evo for the ceramic.

I recently tested a few different pickups but one you dont have on here that you should check out is the PAF 36th anni, I used the standard 103 in the neck and I love em, I will test the bridge model soon and see how that works out.

you also mention that the TZ sound muddy and would recommend it for mahogany, i have to say that on paper I would agree, but I fitted one into one of my mahogany bodied guitars (a 7 string) and found them to be complimentary, bags of power and prescence but i do have a very very bright amp in the laney VH100R and of course it gets brighter the more you crank it..

top thread mate !

10. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    Amazing thread!

I deem it sticky-worth! \o/

11. blackrobedone

blackrobedone SS.org Regular

Reads a little like the Dimarzio and Duncan website descriptions . . . And Gibson gets the shaft on detail - "Sound quality: sux ass".

12. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

:yesway: and Stickied.

13. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Any thoughts on the qualities of a Dimarzio Chopper vs Seymoure Duncan hotrails in the neck position for hi-gain rock tones?

I've tried a 'rails, if that helps for comparison.

14. bulletbass man

I have a lot of respect for you so feel free to send any reviews or critiques in forms of pms. A lot easier for me to read and sift thru as well as talk with you.

All of my pickup reviews are recommendations. Personally I don't like the tone zone in mahogany especially compared to a d sonic, steve's special, or evo. For me it just fits best in Basswood. But at the same time I use darker amplifiers to brigher ones generally and use a lot of mids. So the pronounciation of low mids in a mahongany guitar with my rig is entirely unsuitable (or a lot of rigs for that matter) but in a brighter amp such as Laney VH100r (or the TT for that matter) and properly compensated for in the eq it can really work well. Bit like the Duncan JBs in alder. One would think it would so way too bright but eqed right it sounds thick and has BKP levels of Harmonics.

15. Jaden

Jaden Luthier

Tom, thanks mate - will do !
    be warned that I use a pickup for about 4 weeks and its the greatest pickup in the planet, then I swap it out and suddenly the new pickup is the greatest ;)

16. bulletbass man

my reviews are entirely unbiased by the manufacturers. They just sometimes are pretty much in spot on agreeance with me.

Also Shadey you got a PM.

17. Don-O-Mite

Don-O-Mite SS.org Regular

I just put dimarzio d-activators in my S7320, I think the tone is awesome a little more mids than I thought they would have, but i left every thing else hooked up like the tone pots and they sound fine. (for what its worth :flame:)

18. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Sith Lord

I've used active EMG's for years and switched over to Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Now I finally found what I've been looking for all along....

The Dimarzio D-Activators!

This is my dream come true. I get the full wood tone of my guitars with all the natural low end and picking dynamics one gets from passives with the high output, tons of pick attack and most importantly the thing no other passive pickup has done to my satisfaction, it has the elusive massive harmonics and Hi-Fi tone only found in actives.

I found my holy grail pickup, I suggest you try these too!

19. Iceblade

Iceblade SS.org Regular

Are you saying that you had issues with the Blackouts in getting artificial harmonics (pinch squeals) or are you just commenting as to a perceived lack of harmonic overtones vs. the passive D-Activators, Darth?

Thanks,
    Jeff

20. Werwolf999

Werwolf999 SS.org Regular

While I've learned a LOT from this thread, I still notice a lot of people, like me, still have difficulty finding the specific info they need. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to make a simple chart that lists what pickups work best in what woods?