Seven String Pickup Guide

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Digital Black, Oct 10, 2004.

1. awesomeaustin

awesomeaustin hates neck pickups. Contributor

Nice work!

Thought, shouldn't it go in the Sevenstring Pickup Guide thread?

2. Ruins

Ruins SS.org Regular

nice review i will sure remember to have a look net time i will be thinking "new pickups"
    thanks for sharing

3. sworth9411

sworth9411 Banned

Wow thanks for putting in the time, Its nice to see all of these things together:)

4. Elysian

Elysian Banned

interesting that you found the x2n muddy, i find it the opposite, its very clear, has tons of clarity, and palm muting sounds brutal on it. maybe its my ash bodied 6er speaking though. x2n7 sounds similar in my alder 7, only even more well defined. also, x2n doesn't sound good clean in the bridge position, but i've yet to find many pickups that do, but in the neck spot, in parallel, it sounds awesome clean, to me. very shimmery, bright, has everything i look for in a clean tone.

5. JMP2203

JMP2203 SS.org Regular

well, 18 pickups in his review are muddy :rolleyes:

6. bulletbass man

bulletbass man Classical & Metal

Well the x2n is a fairly dark pickup. I tried it in a mahogany guitar. That's likely why I found it so attrocious. I'll definitely add that when I update the list later tonight.

7. Elysian

Elysian Banned

its not dark by any means, its extremely well balanced... i admit though, i didn't like the x2n6 much in mahogany, but the x2n7 crushes in mahogany. honestly, i wish they released a 6 string version of the x2n7, like, same eq curve(so as not to mutilate the original x2n, leave it the same, just offer a different sounding x2n)

8. bulletbass man

I've honestly never played the 7 string version. Again another thing I need to mention when I update this. Of course thier are going to be various conflicting opinions. No doubt about it. And again have only played it in a mahogany guitar so another fact I need to mention. I will be updating this later tonight hopefully.

9. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

Cool reviews, thanks man!

One thing I will say about the Tone Zone though, I installed an extra one I had lying around in a friends Les Paul and expected it to be pretty dark and muddy, but much to my surprise I LOVED how it sounded! Super beefy and chunky yet smooth and articulate with no mud! Though this was through my naturally very tight Mark III rig. With a tight amp, this pup actually sounds great in mahogany IMO

10. zilong

zilong SS.org Regular

If I recall right, Dimarzio liked the X2N7 so much that they DID release it... as the D-Activator X or something like that. Like the TZ7, for instance, the X2N 7 is pretty different from the its original counterpart. I don't recall off the top of my head where I heard this, but maybe it's worth looking into?

11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

i found the x2n and x2n7 to be a bit different when i had both of them, though not like really different, they were still clearly very similar. then again they were both in pretty different guitars.

regardless, i didn't much care for them anyway. i found them kinda boomy and muddy, but with a fizzy top end which was weird.

12. bulletbass man

The Dactivator 7s in my opinion sound really great. The 6s are good but they really take down tuning quite well.

13. Elysian

Elysian Banned

not the d-activator x, thats for sure, the d-activator has a very different eq curve to the x2n7... not to mention slightly lower output... when i spoke to dimarzio 2 years ago(was doing a pickup swap, evo7 for an x2n7), the guy i spoke to told me they liked the sound of the x2n7 so much, they were actually considering redoing the x2n to sound like it... i don't think anything ever came of that though.

the funniest part about you guys saying the x2n is muddy is, it isn't eq'd bass heavy at all.

14. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

Cool.

You said you've worked with Q-tuners and preferred them in bass guitars.

Would you add a section for them?

15. bulletbass man

I'd prefer to take a review from someone else. Since I've only really played them in the stock position with some slight eqing I'd far prefer to have a review from someone who own's them and can really go into much further detail on how much that effects the sound. Perhaps the reason I preferred them in the bass so much was the guy said I could eq them for him. So again I'd prefer to take a review from someone else.

16. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

The X2N sounds absolutely brutal in my S540. No problem with palm muting, or anything of the sort.

17. sonofabias

sonofabias SS.org Regular

A very informative review, thank you very much. Would you consider reviewing Motor City pups?:metal:

18. bulletbass man

at the moment I don't have enough guitars to shell out for more pickups so I'm stuck primarily reviewing what I can for free or using friend's money. (Basically telling them to get a pickup I want to try out then if I don't like it I'll just throw in one of the few random pickups I have lying around the home which are all nice pickups btw not no stock Ibanez shit or something like that ) :lol:

Also due to the fact I'm extremely busy at the moment I don't have the time just to mess around with various project guitars. Perhaps this summer I'll try one or two of thier models.

19. eegor

eegor Theoretical Reality

Holy shit. I just got this guitar (Septor 727) and when I was thinking about what pickups to put in it I thought about this a lot. I just came into this thread and BAM! there's a review about that exact combo of pups in the exact same guitar.

Thanks for the review, I think I'm going to go with this combo.

20. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Thats cool man - I kinda regret selling that guitar. :(