Seven string guages.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Matt794, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

What guages would you recomend for a Rg-7321. It has a 25.5 inch scale. I use Ernie Ball super slinkys right now and tune it to B standard, but I find the tention to be too loose. I used power slinkys but that messed up my intonation and I don't know if regulars will do the same. Any suggestions?

2. potatohead

potatohead SS.org Regular

Super slinky's are the 9's? That's way loose... Try the regular slinky's, the 10 set. You could also use the D'Addario ones that come with a 59 rather than a 56 for the low B. You may have to adjust the truss rod and intonation slightly but you should know how to do that anyway.

3. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

There is a string gauge thread in the beginnger/faq thread. Just saying :yesway:

4. Ikiharmaa

Ikiharmaa It's all white.

I just got myself a set of 11-48 and a single 60 for my rg7321.. Ernie ball slinkys or whatever they're called. Have to say I'm not satisfied at all. I thought the tension would be enough since I've liked the 11-52 set (D'Addario) on my six (25.5" tuned down one step), but it's far from it. Treble side is fine, but the bass side is loose as uh.. well it's loose.

So I'd suggest something like 10-64, perhaps another brand instead of the slinkys. Didn't catch the part about intonation though.. Can't you just reintonate it?

5. Dvaienat

Dvaienat SS.org Regular

For a little more tension 10-46 + 62 or 11-50 + 66 is ideal. Remember, these gauges are going to require re-intonation.

6. ibanezRG1527

ibanezRG1527 Banned

.10-.46 with a low .64 :yesway:

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

.10 .13 .17 .26 .36 .46 .59

I've that on one of my 25.5 sevens and its the perfect balance for me. I still haven't figured out an ideal gauge for my 26.5 axe.

8. ZanderBlair

ZanderBlair SS.org Regular

I have a 1527 as well, i think you can easily get away with a heavier gauge string on the bottom - I've got a .70 on mine, granted it is tuned to A instead of B, but there is still a bit of give in it. SO much beefier than the .62 I had before. Seems to stay in pitch when you give it a good whack as well!

9. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

Would 10-13-17-26-36-46-56 work? 56 seems kinda wimpy compared to what you guys are suggesting.

10. MTech

MTech Banned

11. Mordecai

Mordecai SS.org Regular

i have an RG7321 and i use an 11-70. but that is also with an intonation adjustment. also i suppose what tuning you are attempting to play in would be a huge help?

12. CloudAC

CloudAC Call me Charlie :)

On top of 10-46 with a low 64, I recommend elixir strings. The best of the best IMO.

13. Kalem

Kalem SS.org Regular

I'm using exactly that. (Ernie Ball Regular Slinky) and I really choose not to go too heavy on the B-string.
    On my RG7321 (still with the stock pickups I must admit) heavy gauge strings don't contribute to the sound very well.

14. Dennis Tuinei

Dennis Tuinei SS.org Regular

I mix the hybrid slinky Ernie balls with their 8 string set.I swap out the 9 and 11 from the hybrid set with the 10 and 13 from the 8 string set and swap out the 46 and 32 with the 74 and 54.I dig it the most.

15. Matt794

Matt794 SS.org Regular

B standard

16. Kamikaze7

Kamikaze7 Banned

To the OP, I agree with those who say a 10-46 w/ a 56 for the low B. I use these for my B tuned and Bb (B flat) tuned guitars with no issues at all. I would avoid trying to go with sonething really heavy like a 64 or bigger, unless you really wanna replace the nut from grinding that huge ass string back and forth in it... I've had to replace the nut on all of my guitars that were bought used because prior owners did just that. Using something way bigger than needed wears out your nut after a while (on a fixed bridge equipped guitar, Floyd Rose style trem equipped guitars don't have that problem due to a metal nut...) and turn the action at the nut side to shit.

So my :2c: on the matter: 10-56's Regular Slinky 7's, with a proper intonation and you should be good.

17. Zugster

Zugster the green machine

I have an RG 7621. I use d'addario 7 sets (EXL 110-7). (I've always been partial to d'addario). It's a basic 0.10 - 0.46 set, which I use on on all my 6s, plus a 0.59 for the low B. It works ok I guess but I've been wanting a slightly tighter low B, especially when I'm in drop A. I am not a fan of excessively beefy strings which I believe actually hurts low end clarity and generally screws up the guitar (tuners, nut, etc). I just want em heavy enough for a tighter feel and pick response. So, I just ordered some 0.62 singles so I can substitute those for the 0.59s. We'll see how that feels. I'm optimistic. I know I don't want to go heavier than that no matter what.

I Just ordered a new tusq nut, and I'll have the shop set it up and make the adjustments.