Serpentine Guitars - UK Custom Guitars 2015 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by KempGuitars, Jan 22, 2015.

1. KempGuitars

KempGuitars UK Custom Builder Vendor

Hello and thank you for taking a look at the 2015 build/news thread. This year is going to be a busy one so we hope you enjoy what's to come. To start off the new year, here are a few pics of the latest build to leave the Serpentine Guitars workshop, on its way into the hands of its new owner - Black Walnut Custom 7-string DC...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a few other builds in progress at the moment, so look out for these in the near future.

In the meantime, don't forget that Serpentine Guitars offers easy payment plans which allow you to spread the cost of a custom made guitar over a six or 12 month period and we currently have an average build time of just six months on our regular/six-monthly plans.

Take a look at our website, FB page or 2014 SS.org build thread

OmegaSlayer, Edika and pylyo like this.
  2. KempGuitars

We have several builds that we're working on at the moment but here's a sneak preview of a custom DC Quilted Maple on Mahogany with carve-top that is currently on the workbench and due to be completed next...

[​IMG]

3. KempGuitars

Our workshop has just had a complete overhaul, including brand new machinery and tools, but you're going to have to wait to see pictures of the new shop space. Instead, as we get back into the swing of things (making guitars, that is), here's a better sneak preview of that Quilted Maple carve-top DC...

[​IMG]

4. KempGuitars

The Serpentine Guitars workshop; refurbished with new workbenches, planer thicknesser and pillar drill... Behind the camera is space for the new bandsaw (on order) and additional workbench/wood store space...

[​IMG]

5. pdotson

pdotson SS.org Regular

Looks good!

6. KempGuitars

You may or may not remember in 2014, Serpentine Guitars built an old-school style SS for Swiss airbrush extraordinaire Winy Wohlwend. Well, we have been asked to build a further two guitars; both of which will also have Winy's amazing, original artwork applied, and both of which feature inlay work by VanWhy Inlay & Design, USA. Here's the latest on the MOP in Rosewood inlays - complete and ready to ship back to me here in the UK...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos of the completed guitars as soon as they are complete with artwork.

7. pdotson

pdotson SS.org Regular

Nice Inlays!

8. KempGuitars

Following this...

[​IMG]

The past six weeks have been a bit slow in the Serpentine Guitars' workshop. However, I did take some time to plan and start work on a new prototype/demo/guitar-for-myself build - Xothermic #1 (6-string, Mahogany body, Black Walnut/Wenge/Black Walnut neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard, Gotoh Tune-O-Matic bridge (recessed) and 301 machine heads, DiMarzio X2N pickup (bridge only) and black gloss finish).

So far, all routing/mounting work complete and the neck/heel is ready to carve before we move on to spraying...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates (new/old builds) coming soon :)

9. KempGuitars

Been playing around with some Quilted Maple over the past two days...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a replacement body for the earlier "Quilted Maple custom DC", which suffered some severe cupping and had to be scrapped. Had I attempted to level out the original body, I would've lost too much thickness (almost 6mm front and back combined). On top of that, there would be no guarantee that the body would've remained stable.

10. KempGuitars

Twins... Sort of. Two old-school Super-strat style Alder bodies nearly ready for stage one of finishing, prior to going out to Switzerland for some airbrush-magic by Mr Wohlwend - - Winy Custom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These will come back to me afterwards for their clear coat and assembly - including Schaller Lockmeister and M6 locking tuners, BKP/Seymour Duncan pickups and some custom wiring.

11. KempGuitars

First time using Luminlay (glow-in-the-dark) side dot markers from Japan - a little treat for a client of mine, replacing the original 2mm black side dots...

[​IMG]

These will soon be added as an optional custom side dot selection on all Serpentine Guitars' instruments :)

12. KempGuitars

Been busy the past two months, we have four guitars recently sprayed (three of which to be sent to Switzerland for some airbrushing), three in various stages and a new build, just started - 7-string neck-thru-body V with Quilted Maple top, Floyd Rose/Hipshot hardware and Seymour Duncan Invader...

[​IMG]

This one will start coming together in the next couple of weeks. But in the meantime, here's our latest custom DC - clear coat sprayed and hanging to cure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. KempGuitars

The latest on that Quilted Maple top custom 7-string V that was recently started...

[​IMG]

This is the first chance we've had to document a neck-thru-body build so expect more progress shots of this one in the near future!

14. KempGuitars

Scalloping the fretboard of the Q Maple V - one down, 26 to go... :eek:

[​IMG]

15. KempGuitars

Shipping out from the Serpentine Guitars workshop today, Custom DC - Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple handcrafted carve-top, Maple/Wenge/Maple neck, Ebony fretboard w/ compound radius and 22 stainless steel frets, Hipshot fixed bridge and Grip-Lock tuners and Bareknuckle Pickups Nailbomb N&B set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. KempGuitars

Four guitars have left the workshop in the past month or so, a few are in progress and we have two new builds just recently come in. One that is well under way now, and I decided I would document as it's the first time we've had the chance to cover a neck-thru build, is the custom 7-string V - last seen as Mahogany body wings glued to the neck.

This one has progressed a fair bit so I thought it was time for an update...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We've also started work on an altogether new guitar as a custom build for a recording/touring guitarist. The new body shape, which may or may not replace the current DC shape, will be revealed as this build progresses :evil:

17. KempGuitars

A body is born... This will be our first documented left-handed and bass (body) build, which I'm looking forward to - Swamp Ash body with 3/8" Spalted Maple and Purpleheart/Maple veneer-sandwich top... Watch this space for updates :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mentioned at the end of my previous post, another custom build to come into the workshop, started last week, will feature our brand new body shape (SS/DC based design, longer bass-side horn and shorted treble-side horn). The guitar itself will be Alder with three-piece laminate quartersawn Maple thru-neck, Flame Maple fretboard and Floyd Rose/BKP hardware...

[​IMG]

More updates as the builds progress.

18. KempGuitars

This Spalted Maple billet arrived at the workshop today to be used on the new bass build - will keep me (and the bandsaw) busy for a while...

[​IMG]

19. KempGuitars

Update on the left-handed bass build - including that Spalted Maple...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Roland777

Roland777 SS.org Regular

Just wanted to pop in and say that these are some of the nicest guitars I've seen in a while in this subforum. Great job and looking forward to seeing more!