Serious Social and Political Issue !

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Wolfenstein, Nov 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein Banned

Is talking about Politics a sure fire way to ruin a Dinner Party?

2. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Id guess so.. because 9/10 times theres gonna be someone that doesnt have the same views and go off on an hour long rant about how your political views are wrong..
    Just sayin :D

3. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

I'm gona say no, as long as the people you're talking too aren't arseholes about their political views and decide to go on a several hour long rant about how unpatriotic you must be before just giving up and shooting you because clearly you're a terrorist :yesway:

Wolfenstein likes this.
  4. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

:funny:
    This actually made me :lol: pretty hard.
    At the same time its sad because its true.
    Pretty much everyone that goes against Obama gets called a terrorist..

5. Wolfenstein

Wolfenstein Banned

Sounds like more EXTREME RADICALISED views from a certain Yahoo!Chat guitarist to me =/

hahaha

6. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Well Mark.. If you watched American news.. you'd see what I'm talking about.

7. renzoip

renzoip I Am the Table

Yeah, it all depends on who you are talking to. In my family for example, everyone has different political views and yet, we do talk about politics in almost everyone of our family gatherings. In the end nobody takes things personal. I would hardly bring up a topic like that with people who I don't think I could have an intelligent discussion with.

8. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

It was the same situation with Bush though. It must be an American thing :nuts::lol:

9. CooleyJr

CooleyJr Banned

Yeah... It's sad. I honestly don't like my own country.. OMGZORZ!! IZ A TEARORIZT!!!

10. phaeded0ut

phaeded0ut droooooneeeeeeeee!

Hate to say it, but it depends upon the crowd. Some folks can talk about politics without getting all hot and bothered about it, and other folks instantly turn into Mt. Vesuvius. Religion can be another string of topics that might cause folks to behave less than kindly, too. Again, it depends...

11. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

Or is it more that you Dislike your Government? I Love my Country, but I hate my Government.

12. xXxPriestessxXx

xXxPriestessxXx One Among the Fence Contributor

I think that tends to be a regional thing with Obama.
    I am in the South and am an Obama supporter and I get accused of being a terrorist as well as many other things that I will not mention here.

I think it is just the American idea that there has to be a bad guy and no matter what the issue is, if you disagree with the person/group you are talking with you automatically become said bad guy. Sad but in my experiences that has been the case.

Wolfenstein likes this.
  13. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave Huge nerd

Politics have replaced Religion as the dinner ruiner, because in all honesty Politics has moved in next to religion. Much like in Religion, "all other Religions but mine are wrong" is interchangeable with political points of view, and no amount of information to the contrary will sway them.

14. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

My opinion is that it is your adult responsibility to discuss and assess the world around you. So much anecdotal information has to come to me from friends willing to share their experiences, some of which relates to politics.

Sharing your point of view and observing the right to free speech are important freedoms that, I feel, should be expressed as freely as possible.

So far as avoiding offence to others, the key is not to force your opinions on others and to politely erect stop signs when others overstep your personal boundaries.

In a world where the media claims to control free thought, sharing views with others has become far more important, in order to fill in the blanks the media has omitted, whilst avoiding/cushioning shock revelations from your research/learning/experience.

I've studied history as my recreation for years now, and though I don't claim to be an expert, I would expect that on certain topics, I know things people whose primary information resource is television do not. I try to share this compassionately to those that ask or express an interest, and in return I learn to share knowledge more evocatively and to be less reactionary.

The key with these topics (religion and politics) is when you think: "I know what is best for this person..." that is the time to be quiet. I do not assume the right to change people from their paths. The only right I assume is to remind people they live in an increasingly complex world and that they should at least be aware of it to the extent at which they are comfortable; the less or more should be their decision.

These are powerful topics which, I think, should be freely discussed, whilst holding this thought in focus; respect works both ways.

Good luck!

BigPhi84 likes this.
  15. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I thought it was fairly standard etiquette that A) religion and B) politics have no place in the workplace, or at the dinner table. That's how I was raised, anyway.

16. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

I just wanted to publicly thank you for this post.

17. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

Honestly, everyone one here should take an interest in what happens with government and how they work, at least in U.S. have seemed to forgot that we put them there by passing the bill's that seem "damaging" to our Constitution.

18. RenegadeDave

RenegadeDave Huge nerd

But therein lies the rub, some people don't care about the Constitution.

19. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

yep it's a shame, People get so wrapped up in "stuff" that they don't see the big picture of whats going on in the world or what kind of world they'll/we'll leave our Children.

20. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedomâ„¢ Contributor

If your dinner party guests are closed-minded enough to prevent a useful discussion from causing discomfort, get dinner party guests who aren't total fuckheads. Problem solved.

Jeff