Sentimental Cheapo Ibby Gio Re-Finish

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by NickLAudio, Jul 6, 2018.

1. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Decided to refinish a bass guitar my cousin had laying in the corner for close to 20 years now. It was the first bass guitar he ever owned as a kid and has since grown up, got married, popped out a kid or two and has moved onto owning quite the collection of 4, 5, 6, and 7 string BTBs, multi-scales, and other high end pieces. It has always held some sentimental value to him as a "this is where it started" sort of thing even though it's been run over by a car and the frets ripped out and filled in like a cool kid haha) and I knew with work and family that he'd never have time to do anything with it. Soooo I stole it without him knowing, refinished it, polished every piece of hardware, and reshaped the head stock so he could hang it on the wall to look nice and reminisce about the good old days. When I presented it to him he couldn't believe it was the same guitar, he loved it. Mission accomplished. :woot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ElRay, Rattlehead83, elkoki and 10 others like this.
  2. odibrom

odibrom .

I totally aprove the fretless conversion...

NickLAudio likes this.
  3. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

I like the result, a lot, even though I find the single pickup a bit lost in the middle of the desert, if you see what I mean. A little pickguardof some sort would probably finish it completely. Conversion to fretless is awesome.

NickLAudio likes this.
  4. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Thanks for the kind words fellas!

@neun Arme I definitely hear ya on that, those pickups look awful lonely

5. Kapee

Kapee ss.org Master

Looks super cool!