Selling merch with the confederate flag

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Munk, Jul 1, 2015.

1. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

Because the American government has never oppressed anybody.....oh...wait...yeah, nevermind.

-m

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I almost went to Stonewall Jackson High... My parents wouldn't let me go bc it was named after a Confederate. I feel like that's silly. They were going to put me in some accelerated math and science program. But the name was enough to make my parents say "eff that"...

I honestly couldn't care less what they call the school... :shrug:

3. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Native Americans, Chinese, Japanese and African Americans. After 9/11 both our government and most of our citizens treated people of Muslim descent, or people who just looked like they were from the region, pretty horribly as well.

---

Either way it's a stupid ....ing cloth. I just can't grasp why people latch on to symbolism so quickly and easily in the first place. This whole debacle has made the south fall in love with that flag all over again as well which is super annoying as now I hear about it constantly and I'd rather not. Everyone is being way over-sensitive about all of this. At least the liberal camp can own up to that fact though. What drives me nuts is that all of the conservatives around me pretend like they aren't also over-sensitive, perpetual complainers. I think this flag thing brings one major fact to light and that's that if anything conservatives seem to be even more sensitive than your average bloke otherwise they wouldn't be so up in arms about abortion, statues, religious laws being overruled, gay marriage, the ....ing 'rebel' flag, people of other religions, people of other ethnicity, losing their guns, etc.. They may not be sensitive to the same problems and they may fall on the other side of issues, but it is without a doubt still an over-sensitive reaction along with endless complaining.

/rant

:lol:

4. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

I have the confederate flag hanging on the wall of my bedroom.

I own several shirts with the confederate flag on them.

I can DEFINITELY see why many people would construe the flag to be racist.

But for myself, and many other people, its a symbol of our southern heritage. It's pride in the land we come from.

Being in Florida, but 2 and a half hours drive from Miami roughly. I see Cuban flags for the Cuban's to remind themselves where they come from. Argentinian flags, Venezuelan flags, Brazilian flags... They're all within their right to fly their flags as a reminder of their culture. When I drive to Miami to go to a show or any other reason, I see all kinds of people and all kinds of flags. It's a complete melting pot.

I fly the confederate flag as a symbol of the land I come from. It's something I take pride in, it reminds me of the culture I've grown up with.

eBay, Amazon, etc... Can all stop selling anything with the flag on it, that's fine. They're well within their rights to do so.
    South Carolina can remove the flag from their capitol building because of protest... I get it, people consider it a racist symbol.

But I don't.
    It's the pride I have in the land I come from. So, therefore, on the wall in my bedroom it will remain. Right next to the Florida flag hanging beside it.

5. Konfyouzd

This...

I had a neighbor come over to our house once I suppose because we're "of color". He comes over with his son who has on a shirt that has the confederate flag on it. His son is an adopted Korean boy. He asks us, "Can you please explain to Tommy why it's not okay to wear this shirt?"

Umm...

A. This is YOUR son. You explain it to him
    B. We don't really give a damn about that flag and it wasn't awkward until you came over here with that bullsh!t... :lol:

6. asher

asher So Did We

Cleek's Law.

ZT: What does the Confederate flag symbolize about "heritage" that isn't covered by like, the actual flag of the state you're from...?

(and this is without challenging that notion of heritage)

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

That's both awkward and hilarious. Oh my god, I'm dying over here. :rofl:

8. asher

asher So Did We

What the actual kitten

9. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

It's honestly the difference between growing up in a rural environment versus an urban one.

The confederate flag gives us something to cling on to that is a visual representation of being different than the mass population. It's living or having grown up in a small town and being proud of it.

If you see somebody wearing a confederate flag shirt, depending where you're at... They're not wearing it to be a racist or show they're racist. They're wearing it to show "Hey, I'm a country boy, and damned proud of it!"
    ...Because city folk don't wear it. Or use it. Because to them, it's racist. And I understand why. But it isn't to us.

As I said before... I do fly my state's flag right next to it in my bedroom.

Edit:
    I just made a connection in my head as a way of explaining it.

People dress in a fashion that they want to portray themselves as.
    Metal heads will wear band shirts, businessmen will wear suits.. And "rednecks" will wear confederate flags. It's a self identification tool.

Hey, I aint a psychologist though... So, the fvck do I know? :lol:

10. Konfyouzd

Understandable. It's just unfortunate that like many other things idiots screw it up for everyone.

One more story since this just happened the other day...

I had JUST given my last $3 to a homeless man--a white one at that (you'll understand why this is important in a second).

No sooner than I finish giving that money away, another homeless man comes up and asks me if I have any money to spare. I told him very politely that I was out of money. Everyone else in the line did the same and it's believable considering we were standing in the slug (carpool) line meaning none of us intended to pay money to get home that day. Therefore, it's highly probable that none of us had money in our pockets.

At any rate, after everyone said that he went OFF.

It just so happens that everyone in the line at that point was "brown".

I laughed my ass off...

What is this, 1930? :lol:

11. Eliguy666

Eliguy666 V's are Just Better

I'm pretty sure that's f*ckin' 1866, if reconstruction media has anything to say.

12. Konfyouzd

Oh I was just referring to being called "boy". I didn't know people still said that as an insult.

13. SaturdayMorningSnuff

SaturdayMorningSnuff Dogma 2015

Who celebrates a loss anyway?

14. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

That's only weird to me because I can't think of a greater act of conformity than trying to defend a flag. To each their own.

Apparently, Australians and New Zealanders do:

Anzac Day

Australia also has its own 'rebel flag':

[​IMG]

Again, the guys that flew that flag lost. Some people see the Eureka Rebellion as the 'birth of democracy in Australia', though that's probably a stretch. Interestingly, our homegrown racists have apparently adopted this flag, even though race was completely irrelevant to the event itself. Having said that, there are also people that think our national flag is racist. Apparently England's flag is also racist (St George's Cross, not the Union Jack). Maybe all flags are racist now. Maybe flags cause racism.

Everybody! Abandon your flags! We can solve racism! Together! All you need to do is burn all of your flags.

15. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Its a day of rememberance, appreciation, and reflection, not a celebration....

16. asher

asher So Did We

It's like:

I'm totally fine for you to be proud of growing up in the country, but isn't there something that can be a symbol for it that isn't the flag of Treason in Defense of Slavery?

17. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It seems that the "Don't Tread on Me" flag, the snake on a yellow background, is becoming a popular flag for people to hang up here in the north. It's kind of a "rebel flag" and it communicates a similar faux-rebellious sentiment of the angry, perceiving-oneself-as-oppressed WASP- all without the ugly racial/slavery undertones. Maybe that will catch on instead.

18. asher

asher So Did We

*overtones

19. ferret

ferret Not worthy

20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^I liked that article. I mean obviously I know that on a personal/individual level all these people who talk about 'states rights' are just using it to cover their own asses, but I hadn't realized it was like a systematized effort with alternate educations and unwarranted monuments. That Texas declaration of succession really makes it obvious why they succeeded. It almost sounds conspiracy theory or something if it weren't documented, verifiable true information.