Selling merch with the confederate flag

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by The Munk, Jul 1, 2015.

1. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

Heads up to anyone wanting to buy or sell items, with the confederate flag on it, on ebay.....
    A buddy of mine tried to sell his Dimebag Rebel on ebay and they won't allow it.

2. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

Weirdly enough, when you type 'ebay confederate flag' into Google, one of the options is a page that allows you to browse 'rebel flag' belt buckles, shirts, and bracelets (prominently displaying said flag on the shirt), only to lead to pages that do not feature said flag at all.

In any case, I guess we should be thanking eBay for their stance on this particular symbol, as opposed to their stance on other symbols.

For those that didn't click the second link, and happen to want to buy or sell a guitar with a swastika on it on eBay, you're probably fine to do so.

I decided to research other symbols of hate, and thanks to the Anti-Defamation League, it suddenly looks like one of my favourite video games ever may find its merchandise scrutinised if we stay on the symbol train.

Triangular Klan Symbol

[​IMG]

The Triforce

[​IMG]

Well ... fuck.

EDIT:

Nice one, eBay. You hatemongers!

In other news, I now want this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

PC nonsense.
    I'm betting they'll still allow sales of other flags that represent known human-rights violator nations/factions.

4. asher

asher So Did We

Yeah, I'm not sure this is, on its own, inherently bad (they, and amazon/etc, can set their own terms as they wish)... but it's definitely inconsistent.

Is there a good reason to be able to buy a swastika?

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Depends on which swastika you mean. It's obvious in this context which one you're referring to, and the only valid one I can think is if you're a major history buff and would like to own something from that time period; regardless of what it is, or if you're trying to get something from every countries military that participated, etc... A museum purchasing stuff would also make sense, although I imagine they have more ...professional means than eBay to buy such items.

The Native American swastika (I believe it's N.A. in origin), is possibly/probably rarer to come by and why someone would want one of those I couldn't tell you

6. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

Google is your friend. The swastika has positive connotations in MANY cultures spanning thousands of years.

-m

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy SS.org Regular

Right now, in this country, the Stars and Bars is a symbol of hate that contributes to an atmosphere of hate. If you are a history buff go see it in a museum.

8. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Which is exactly why I denoted the difference in my post. The not-so-favorable one, putting it lightly, is the off-tilt swastika whereas the standard perpendicular swastika has far more cultural usage around the world.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Everyone I know who likes the rebel flag is a smidge racist I'm sad to say. No I'm not correlating the flag itself to this conclusion as I've known them for a long time and they've always been a smidge racist. So the fact that people with racist tendencies are obsessing over a stupid piece of cloth is just dumb to me. What makes it sad/funny though is that while they probably liked the flag already I've never seen it in any of their pictures or homes prior to this whole debacle cropping up. Frankly, I wish it would just end because the entirety of it is dumb on both sides.

While I can arbitrarily correlate that a lot of racist people like the rebel flag I will say that everyone I know who likes it doesn't associate it with hating black people...or history for that matter. They just associate it with being southern for whatever reason. It is a symbol for hate and it honestly feels a bit traitorous to be waving around an enemy combatant flag as a token of pride when it was one of our darkest times historically speaking, but most of them aren't historians or rocket scientists and don't actually care about historical context beyond Dukes of Hazzard (but I don't find symbols of any kind to be of significance so I'm probably not the best person to ask :lol:).

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yep. The problem is 99.9% if Americans (and likely, the same in other countries) follow nothing beyond a sentence fragment headline, and then hop on the bandwagon, without really looking at the whole picture. A lot of these issues I find that I agree with initially, then swing back in the other direction because of this very thing. It reminds me of liking a song when it first comes out, and then when I hear it a million times and everybody and their sister is humming it and talking about how great it is, I get pissed off at it.

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Also, this post here is one of many reasons this flag debate is so dumb.

[​IMG]

12. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

I was under the impression that the swastika used by the Nazis was a mirrored image of the ancient symbol - hooks of the crosses facing in a counter clock-wise direction....

13. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Probably, until there's a major public call for such items to be removed. You want to start one?

14. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

It's officially crossed the line into the absurd now that Dukes of Hazard got yanked off of TV Land just because of the General Lee paint job.

I found this Reuters article to be the best middle of the road piece on the the topic. Plus as a huge civil war nerd its great a reporter took the time to interview some

Civil War buffs on Confederate flag debate: It's complicated | Reuters

15. asher

asher So Did We

Yes, I'm referring exclusively to the Nazi swastika. Yes, it's a completely appropriated symbol (I thought the original was Hindu?), but it's pretty much guaranteed to be the first thing anyone thinks of when you say swastika. Obviously any of the other ones should be a non-issue.

As far as the Confederate flag... no, the primary documents make it very clear what it stands for, and that's white supremacy.

16. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

I would argue it's been appropriated enough times within the 20th century that original meaning doesn't apply (and by original i mean its original use as a flag for the navy), and certainly didn't apply pre-charleston in the pop culture sphere.

it's like the N-word derivative spelling with the A-H ending.. it's been used so much there's no meaning attached to it unless someone wants there to be... which of course is free speech.

but in saying that, non-governmental censorship is still censorship and i don't agree with it; especially on an issue this complicated.

ultimately this doesn't seriously affect anyone, except now i don't think i can get a used Dimebag Darrel dixie guitar on ebay anymore?

17. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

18. asher

asher So Did We

No, one of Lee's flags. It's still one of the three main flags even at the time of Treason in Defense of Slavery. Not to mention it immediately became the ubiquitous symbol of the Confederacy in the hands of Nathan Bedford Forrest and the KKK in the late 1860s.

No, it's not censorship, it's companies deciding this will negatively impact their bottom line. I don't even think there were particularly organized campaigns to get Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc. to stop selling this stuff.

19. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

I would argue, in turn, that the *preponderance* of meanings have dealt with endorsement of slavery, repression of African-Americans, and/or resistance to civil rights legislation. I would also argue that pop culture usage is not the best measure of whether this is actually a problematic symbol, especially since the pop culture uses are nearly all by white Southerners who are unable to address the flag's meaning to African-Americans.

20. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Nah:lol:, I'm not really the hyper-sensitive type.

edit; Walmart deciding to not carry Ronda Rousey stuff due to her "violence" is another (IMO much more) laughable example.
    They even carry fight-sport magazines for f's sake :lol:, not to mention so many other things (like all those video "kill-games", and even real guns:lol:).