Seized Guitar stories?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by lewis, Nov 3, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so until my recent guitar shows up (its completely lost and has been since the 27th of Oct), the courier is strongly and adamantly telling me its been seized by customs.

Now this will be my first time going through this. Anyone else ever had this?.
    I genuinely dont know what reason they would have to seize it and even my tracking info stated "released by customs" before info updates stopped. Even made sure I went for Ebony fretboard I paid extra for and there was no logos on the guitar.

Any Seized guitar stories? Especially that were not warranted?

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It’s not super uncommon for guitars like this coming out of China. I’ve had guitars come with customs bills, but never particularly held up. But I do know it’s considered one of the risks of getting guitars directly from China. But I’m sure it will be all sorted out.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

is literally "Its from China" enough to seize something though?. Seems a tad stupid if thats enough reason.

everywhere online says if there is no rosewood - check and no forged names like "Gibson" etc - check, then it shouldnt be seized.

Ive heard of people struggling to get guitars from USA into Canada with similar issues?.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah idk if “from china” is what triggers it, or if they way they send it is, or what. Maybe the country of origin makes other countries suspicious? Like if I got a package from Colombia maybe they’d be suspicious. But I really don’t know. I know certain countries seem to get triggered by customs more. Mind you, this is all just talk online, and anecdotal stuff, so an actual analysis may show that there’s nothing to it.

5. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

I wouldn't panic just yet. I've had a guitar at customs for 3,5 weeks (Belgium). Other one for 3 weeks. Fastest one that was released from customs was one week I think. You may possibly have to provide proof of payment. That's what happened to me a couple of times.

khm and lewis like this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

all my parcel force tracking data has completely vanished now.
    Now I get the error message "we are unable to locate your parcel" whenever I try using the same parcel no. as before.

ouch.

I guess confirmation it has been lost?

7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Ive had packages with no information at all untill a week after I get them from DHL. Just try to relax and it will show up when you least expect it.

exo likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no i mean the tracking is specifically telling me there is no tracking for that parcel now. "Cannot locate parcel" or "incorrect tracking no."
    when upto 2 hours ago it still had all my tracking history, including arriving and being released from customs.

Now all that is gone.

9. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah I get what youre saying. All im saying is as much as it seems like its just vanished into thin air. Its still out there somewhere. And like others said in other thread this is 300 dollar China guitar not a 58 burst. Nobody is going to swipe it.

Make sure you dont miss chance to make a claim but apart from that just wait it will surface

lewis likes this.
  10. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

11. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Had you taken screen shots of your tracking info before it vanished?

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have taken screenshots yes /\

also, Ive got my tracking info back. Its still at the same amount of updates as it was before it vanished.

basically it appears they have changed my parcel No. which is why the previous no. I was tracking "vanished" off their system.
    They must have updated their tracker so when I put in my original no. it automatically tracks my parcel but with the new tracking no.

abit odd. I dont know why that has happened?. But the last update is still the 27th of Oct at "released from customs".
    Have no news since then other than Parcel force saying its been seized, and Uk Customs and Border Force telling me it hasnt and Parcel force have lost it.

downburst82 likes this.
  13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I bought a shirt from China once, it took 3.5 months to get here. It went through customs within the first 2 weeks.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

ParcelFarce is pretty bad at their job. I'm kinda surprised how it's even in business. Well I guess not that surprised, when they've been funded by taxpayers money for 500 years, there's little incentive to do any more than the bare minimum.

Last time I ordered a guitar from abroad (Australia) it arrived, and then a week later I got a voicemail from parcel force saying they needed to know why I bought a guitar from abroad, and they wouldn't release it until I called them back. I just ignored them since I already had it.

Chances are it will just show up, and parcel force will still not be sure where it is.

You can try putting the tracking number(s) into other websites too, like the royal Mail website. It will usually show up on both, and one may have more info than the other.

Are you sure its with parcel force / Royal Mail, and hasn't been passed off to another courier?

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

all the info returned again so it seems like a combo of website error at the time I checked when it was all missing and maybe parcel no. changing.

Either way im still yet to hear from anyone about it. The trouble is If I just leave it for say 2 months in the hope it just turns up, but doesnt, I will have lost my money, the guitar and also after that time, you cant claim against Parcelforce either.

Abit of a sticky situation. Aliexpress have Ebay'esque payment protection. I can keep asking the seller to extend it for me so I never lose my money, but he wouldnt be able to get anything back from Parcelforce if the guitar is lost because "time to claim" would have expired with them.

I would feel bad for him in that case because he seems a really nice dude. He done everything spot on for me. Its not his fault the Uk and its Courier service is a joke.
    I dont know whether to cash in now and get a refund or gamble and wait.

16. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Get your refund while you can.

lewis likes this.
  17. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

So can you claim on insurance on the package? If so how long do you have?

If you can claim on insurance I would wait until it got near the time limit to give it time to show up, then claim on it if it still hasn't arrived.

But I guess it's a stickier situation if the seller has to claim.

lewis likes this.
  18. exo

exo SS.org Regular

@lewis .....brother, it may be time to just go "zen" on this, and it'll show up when it shows up. Yeah, I know that's gonna be tough, and you've got a bit insignificant sum (2/3 of a paycheck, for me...) wrapped up, but man.......when/if this shows up is kinda outside of your control at this point.

Hope I shows up tomorrow, for no apparent reason.

lewis likes this.
  19. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

Literally every guitar I have purchased and brought into Canada has been "Held" not seized but I assume that's the same thing, by customs for at least a week. My duvell was a month.

I just assumed people just hated Canada. Why can't we get great guitars like everyone else!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I've had fucking sweatshirts take 4 months to get here from china. Meanwhile I get guitar parts in a week or two. :nuts:

AkiraSpectrum and lewis like this.