SD Blackouts Wiring Issue: Possible fried pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Kyle01, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Kyle01

Kyle01 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I've been struggling with this wiring for hours now and I'm wondering if someone can shed some light on the issue I'm having.

The pickups are Seymour Duncan Blackout 8's, and I just finished re-wiring the guitar after disassmbling the whole thing for refinishing.

I've checked all the connections and they are intact, but I'm getting no signal from the pickups when I tap them with a screwdriver after the battery is connected.

When I disconnect the battery, I can hear a decent amount of static and I actually do hear the pickups when metal hits them. I tested each position of the switch (3 way) and I can hear the sound coming from each pickup in their respective switch positions. I can also hear loud static noises when I touch metal components on the guitar without the battery connected.

As soon as I put the battery on, the static goes silent and I no longer can elicit a reaction from touching any components, and can no longer hear the pickups react to the screwdriver touching them.

I'm wondering if maybe the voume pot is broken now. I know the tone pot is functioning because I can reduce the static's treble response with it, and the switch seems to work when the battery is disconnected.

I have no prior experience with active pickups, so I'm not entirely sure how this works. Is it supposed to so silent that I can't hear metal touch the pickup? If so, how do I test the pickups before restringing the guitar?

Sorry for the wall of text, but any input you might have would be appreciated. I can also take some pictures of the wiring if need be.

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Just a thought: did you solder the stereo jack connectors properly? If shorted, the battery will get hot and finally break down...

Kyle01 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'd check the output jack like Lemonbaby suggested. That's probably the issue. First though, I'd see if the volume does anything when the battery is disconnected.

Kyle01 likes this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Also, some pics of your wiring might help sort this out.

Kyle01 likes this.
  5. Kyle01

Kyle01 SS.org Regular

Just checked the volume without the battery. Turning the knob has no effect on the static, it stays the same no matter where I turn it.

I also checked the jack. It looks ok, everything is soldered in the right place since I only had to disconnect 1 wire when I disassembled it. I'll post some pics up shortly.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Then it might be the volume pot. Couldn't hurt to replace it, I guess. Is it 25k?

Kyle01 likes this.
  7. Kyle01

Kyle01 SS.org Regular

It looks to be a 25K pot.

Here are some pictures of the wiring. I tried to make them as clear as possible, but it still kind of looks like a jumble of wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kyle01

Kyle01 SS.org Regular

Ok, so I just replaced the volume pot with a new one, but it seems to have had no effect. Exact same situation as I was in before.

Anyone have any other ideas?

9. Kyle01

Kyle01 SS.org Regular

Alright, I'm officially an idiot. There was no ground wire connecting the tone and volume pots. I don't know what kind of jacked up wiring the previous owner had going on, but somehow it worked. It just wasn't compatible with the changes I made to the switch. Everything is working now.

Thank you all for the help, I do appreciate it.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

As one of my IT teachers says, 90% of errors are between the chair and keyboard. :lol:

Glad you've got it working.