SD Blackouts neck in bridge. What for neck?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zhysick, Dec 7, 2017 at 6:07 AM.

1. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Hi there!
    I just installed a Blackout neck in bridge position in my 7 string guitar. I bought that one just because it was cheap and close to my house so close the guy came to my door to give it to me and was just 45€ with all the electronics so I thought: why not? If I don't like it I can buy a bridge one and just do all the work later. But I like it!

I have read a few threads around here (but very old) about using the neck pup in the bridge position but haven't read anything about which pickup on the neck.

Another blackout neck? have you tried any other? I will like my neck pickup to be clear, not bassy... I like the neck position to play cleans and leads so less output will be welcome to make it easier to pair.

Maybe the EMTY neck? Alnico5 aswell but less bass and maybe a bit less output...

2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I would get a bridge one and put it in the bridge/swap the neck one to the neck, but that's just me. My experience is with the 6-string version only, but I tuned as low as Drop B with it at times. I tend to think the neck in the bridge position might yield even more of what I grew tired of with my Blackouts -- a little too much low-end that got in the way of clarity.

FWIW, I thought the neck version in the neck could get some pretty nice cleans, and very nice lead tones as well. I'm typically a guy that likes to use my bridge pickup for most overdriven tones, both rhythm and lead though. I've always had problems with neck pickups not quite cutting through a dense mix when I use them for leads. On their own, and in a less dense mix, the neck pup can sound amazing though. My mixes tend to be distortion soup though, hehe.

One thing I found that helped immensely with the Blackouts is to run them a little further away from the strings than what is typical with active pickups, and I also found that running the guitar's volume knob at about 8.5/10 instead of all the way up gave me a much better tone. Otherwise, these have such high output they tend to oversaturate your amp.

I hope that helps.

3. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Thanks KailM but actually I think the neck pup in bridge solve all the issues you described: less output (actually is not even hotter than a "normal stock hot" humbucker), more clarity, less low end. I would describe the neck BO in the bridge as a very vintage sounding humbucker as of clarity and output. Tone wise is not like a PAF humbucker but maybe a bit more like a Full Shred keeping things into the SD chart? I think it would be accurate to say it sounds a bit like the FShred.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts but if you think that the bridge pup is "too hot" considering that you use a lot of gain as you said I am pretty sure that for me the bridge in the bridge is a no-go.