SD Blackened Winters to BKP Impulse a good move?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Cheap, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I just picked up a PRS Custom 24 Hardtail that came with some Seymour Duncan custom shop Blackened Winters. I'm not sure if the only difference is the black font or if they're higher output than the normal BW set or something--there really isn't a lot of information readily available, but I'll admit I haven't looked very hard haha

I've always loved the tones coming out of the Northlane camp and have enjoyed a few BKP Black Hawks in my guitars before, but I'm wondering if an Impulse set will still keep me at too high of an output for what I'm looking to achieve.

I used strats/split sounds for a few years and really need them back in my main guitar. The Blackened Winters are WAY too pissed to get close to anything convincing (although that's not to say they don't rule in their own way). This guitar is in Standard/Drop D

Would this be a lateral move or a step up towards a more versatile pickup in the Impulse?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

One option is wiring in coil split and parallel positions. That should give you a mellower version of the black winters/ give you a spankier sound. Another option is do mag swaps on the black winters (try dropping the bridge from a ceramic to say an alnico 8 or alnico v). Never used the impulses so I can't really comment on them.

3. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I don't have any experience with SD wiring diagrams (or much with other either haha), but to me it sounds like they might be wired out of phase or something in the 2 & 4 positions on the switch. Like they go from vicious as all hell to super thin and wirey.

How hard is a mag swap? I feel like this bridge with an alnico mag would be way sweeter instead of sharp and pissed like it is now

4. KnightBrolaire

I have an alnico 8 in my black winter and it cuts a bit of the high end and the output a bit, alnico 5 would definitely warm it up and make it less pissed. it's pretty easy to do a mag swap. I get my mags from mojotone but there are other places out there that sell magnets too. how to mag swap : https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/...ng-with-pickups-102-the-humbucker-magnet-swap

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I feel like we’re all waiting for someone on this forum to get an impulse :lol:

6. KnightBrolaire

only person on here who has em is josh from northlane lol

7. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

HA! I feel like they're such awesome pickups, but they don't have the marketing push that Misha puts behind his (for the record I much prefer Josh's approach to not shoving them down everyone's throat) so they seem to get a little left behind on this forum

Over the weekend I did a lot of testing with the pickup through different rigs and comparing DI's and whatnot and wound up deciding that the BW was just fundamentally way too metal for what I'm trying to do.

Wound up getting a pretty good deal on a Mojotone Hornet to try out in the bridge position. There seems to be just as little info on those as on the Impulses so we'll see how we fair!

8. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

There is a Impulse thread somewhere, for more information.

I have the Impulse set in one of my guitars (E-II TB-7). Really like them, not at least because of the flexibility, the best split-sounds I ever had.

9. KnightBrolaire

yeah let us know how the hornet sounds.

10. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Update: The PW Hornet came in and it is way more what I'm looking for! It splits amazingly well and is impossible to get it sounding harsh. The lower output has helped get my current Kemper presets way more versatile.

It's a little odd having a bridge pickup that's lower in output than the neck.. 11k VS 13.3k. The pickup wasn't in there long for me to order a DW Tomahawk for the neck position so I'll have the Blackened Winter set up for sale on here before too long haha

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Has anyone even tried tomahawks?

12. KnightBrolaire

I searched/asked around about most of the mojotones a while ago and it was hard to find any metal clips other than fluff's/there was no real user reviews out there. I've always been intrigued by the sledgehammer or the black magic sets.

13. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

i've seen a few tomahawk sets floating around in the wild, but i think it's still mainly just dustie's demos that show them off. and even then i think his official mojotone demo is just using the bridge pickup...

the tomahawk neck pickup will be my 3rd Mojotone pickup so far and after owning sets of BKP, SD, Instrumental, Elysian, Schecter USA (NJ Atomics) and not digging any dimarzio's out there they sit highest on the 'wet clarity' scale where they're just lush and clear with tons of single coil spit, but in a beefy humbucker package.

the hornet is actually the first bridge pickup i haven't wanted to change or wished for anything that's missing. it's only been a few days now, but i'll be tracking for a project once the tomahawk comes in so i'll have plenty of examples to post up and a much better idea of how good they really are at that point

14. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Question: is there a way to rename the thread? it's definitely turning into more of a Mojotone 2017 thread at this point

15. KnightBrolaire

wait, you're saying the mojotones are clearer than Elysian's pickups? Adam's pickups are the clearest I've found besides the lace x-bars. :scratch: Which elysian set did you try?

16. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Yessir! That's a good question.. it was a while back and they didn't last long. The tuned aperture thing was cool, but pretty sterile for my tastes. a few of my friends have tried them as well and seemed to dig em WAY more than i ever did

17. KnightBrolaire

yeah I'm one of those people that really like his pickups. I've got like 3 sets of the modern wind lol. They're so ridiculously clear that I don't think I'd want any clearer.