SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

Guilty as charged! I have four bridge models installed currently along with the neck pickup in my Epiphone LPC. I'm probably on the short list of people who dislikes the neck pickup - I'm more of a medium to low output neck pickup guy. It's just a touch too loud for me for what I like in a neck pickup, but I will agree it's very nice for what it is.

I'll post some pics of the guitars when I get a chance but just for kicks, besides the above mentioned Epiphone, I have them in my Jackson DR, my EC-1000 VB, and my RG 7420. It's safe to say I like the Black Winter. Lol

2. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

I'll do some more side-by-side comparisons of my BW loaded guitars tomorrow and post what I think. The 7 string bridge model sounds pretty damn close to the bridge models I have, definitely enough to give your rig a consistent tone if you're switching between 6 and 7 string guitars. I couldn't compare them to the Het set unfortunately. I don't think the Het set has the gritty edge the BW's have on the top end?

3. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I put a BW into an Ibanez MMM1 and it sounded really clear and thick. I sold it shortly after that, so I can't give any in-depth details on it.
    I'm considering getting a BW for my Ibanez RGA8 ... I have a Dimarzio D activator in there right now, which I really like.
    Like you guys (I assume) I always wonder if there is something that'll give me more beef in my death metal tone.
    Thoughts?

FYI: I use a mesa triple rec > mesa 412 for my tone right now. I also use a HD500 (Dual rec amp model > mesa 412 cab model) for recording and sometimes into the EFX Return of my triple rec live.

4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

SD Invader or BKP Warpig I would think...?

5. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

^^^ Interesting thanks. I'll read up on those.

6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

+1 on the Invader. Thick and very open sounding. Just don't forget to set the pickup low against the strings to tighten up the sound.

7. ofu

ofu SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input, I should really try the KM6, saw it in a local store when it first came out. Too bad here it costs a little more than my custom ordered guitar. Here's another reason to take the custom route once again, and I thought it will take me years until that moment. :rolleyes:

Anyway, remembered I made a little test with the new guitar when I got it, here's the sample. Excuse the sloppy chug goofing, but I thing there's plenty of beef. Sound is all vst - some ts - taranov fortin vst - some mesa ir.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ym2gCaCawN

8. Garfish

Garfish SS.org Regular

How would a black winter set fit in a gibson explorer? I use a jcm 2000 dsl which will be modded with the c12 mod + choke very soon through a 4x12 orange V30. I dont play uber death metal, my sound is probably more of a heavy thrash tone. I have also been looking at the pegasus and omega pickup with a sentient in the neck

9. Blytheryn

Dude, I'm thinking it would sound chunky as hell. You'd get great palm mutes and plenty of grind!

10. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

I have a Nazgul in my Ibanez RGD and it sounds amazing. Its very similar to the black winter just wound ever so slightly cooler. Duncan knocked it out of the park with the entire line of medium output metal pickups.

11. Blytheryn

I'd really love to hear what a Nazgul sounds like when it's not tuned to drop F to play 8 stringed djent like you hear everyone play on YouTube. Anyone on here want to record some decent grindy/black/thrash riffs on theirs?:wavey:

12. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I have a Nazgul in my SL2H tuned to Drop C. I'll try to get something thrown together by this weekend if I can.

13. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Anything I've recorded with the Nazgul is in Drop C.

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I second this. I have literally heard NOTHING but djent out of the Nazgul, and I don't think it's the pickup necessarily. I want to hear what it can offer in terms of REAL death metal (i.e. -- not breakdowncore/chugcore/deathcore). I'm talking old school Death, Decapitated, At the Gates, and Bloodbath style riffs and production.

15. Blytheryn

I'll hit up your SC later, Feral. :)

16. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Thirded, because curiosity. If they can sound really good for things other than Djent I want to know about.

Also, was playing earlier and accidentally switched to my neck pickup and heavily distorted, it was absolutely monstrous in a great way. Extremely nasty. I won't lie, KailM 90 percent the reason that I play a 6505+ with an Avatar 2x12 with Gov and Swamp Thang, so that's what it's going through.

17. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

Maybe i'll record a Bloodbath cover and post it here

18. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

THIS. I want this.

Finally found some alder body BW clips last night digging on youtube. About half sounded killer the other half sounded way harsh, but the recording on a lot of them wasn't good. My tendency when choosing pickups is to balance a guitar out, but maybe there's something to be said for the hyper aggressive alder-BW combo...
    Dangling a trade out there, but may buy that or a Custom for my So Cal. However, not sure how far out those purchases will be, but I'm guessing not anytime soon.

19. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

Awesome pickups!!!

I have a set installed in my ESP LTD EC-2005 satin black and sounds really great through my Thunderverb and 5150, Black-death metal rules!!!

20. aceinet

aceinet SS.org Regular

So be gentle everyone but here is a video I put together of the Black Winter in a Charvel style guitar (alder body/maple neck). Went through 11 Kemper profiles to get an idea of how different the pickup sounds on various amps/settings/etc. Sloppy playing of course so pardon the mess. D Standard tuning. FYI-fresh out of the Youtube oven.