SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Sounds really cool. An A2 magnet would also be neat!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

hmm I'll see how the a5 sounds before going lower than that.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Well he probably never heard of the order I was placing, and I never made a video because I've been deployed and moving around too much! So cheers to beating me to the punch. His pickup sounds close to mine. It's a good hybrid that flattens the Nazgul EQ a bit and adds more fullness to the tone overall. I do notice the higher strings are a little thin, so I'm going to order another one at some point with tweaks. Kinda like Lorcan's custom fanned model he ordered for one of his Carillions. I'm gonna reach out to this guy to compare notes. I think his mix removes a lot of the low end and punch this beast has though. I loosely named mine the SD "Forbidden Gates" because of the sigil. I love the "Nuclear Winter" name that's been coined here. I'd love a short line of apptly named Lovecraft themed metal pickups. Shit, the more I think about it the more I want to learn to wind my own, like doing ammo reloads for odd calibers. Hmm...

I did it in a 7, and it ripps. Appropriate name. The AV seems to warm the tone a bit and it seems darker in the Cimmerian VII with Limba/Korina body, maple top, maple neck, than the BKP C-Pig that came with it. I loved the C-Pig harmonics and clarity, but it just was to brought for that guitar; almost djenty no matter how soft I played. The AV in the BW did the trick. If I can get all 3 common mag versions into my KM-7 to record a few clips I will, otherwise I'll see if SimonXSludge can fit it into his busy schedule preparing the Nightmarer release.

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ah, I hadn't realized it wasn't an official SD creation from the custom shop (because the production looked exactly like what they would do, and I thought the guitar player was Ola). "Nuclear Winter" is pretty great. I probably would have played the other angle, starting from the Nazgul, and gone with "Witch King".

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  5. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Yeah I thought of that too! Killer name idea. But I was sticking with the Lovecraft theme of the guitar. Whatever the name, they sound exactly as requested. Oddly I didn't quite dig the tone at first, but I went back to my notes to MJ and Derek and realized they delivered what I described. It grew on me quickly, and now I think I know what to improve upon to nail exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll have more in the NGD I am working on over the next few weeks or month. I am amassing pictures and trying some rough clips out! Promise!

Blytheryn and narad like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

I just tested the A5 version in my 6 string and I dig it. Still nice and percussive/chunky like the black winter or nuclear winter, but even warmer on the high end. Honestly I'd say that's the main difference, is the warmer high end and a slightly different low end. video will be up tomorrow.
    here's a clip comparing all three in the meantime (starts with ceramic unboosted and boosted, then same for a8 and a5):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmbv3a7aqr0o4jw/kaijiujitsu_a5_a8_ceramic mag comparison.mp3?dl=0
    here's some TRV KVLT shit:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/69scnu4kmyetder/Skadi TRV KVLT_triple recto .mp3?dl=0
    other clips:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/plrqhcapdi6nu15/AAB1X12zjt65irpAWlvfqnzKa?dl=0

MAJ Meadows SF and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

skadi vid is up

8. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

Finally put a set of Shop Floor Custom BWs in my PRS Tremonti a while back and they sound huge. I've been too lazy to take any pictures so far but I'll try to get one uploaded tomorrow.

9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Today is a good day
    [​IMG]

Marked Man, 0rimus, rexbinary and 5 others like this.
  10. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Black Winter is so cold.... and dark.... that it cracked the case. I cut my wrist on the cracked case and filled the logos with my blood.

[​IMG]

11. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

12. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

That's because the heaviness. No plastic case can hold them! They should ship in metal cases! :mf666:

13. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I very much dug the Black Winters but they ultimately weren't for me. If anyone is interested I put a set up for sale in the classifieds. Just hit me up if interested.

14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Bomb proof metal cases.

rexbinary and ZombieLloyd like this.
  15. awesomeaustin

awesomeaustin hates neck pickups. Contributor

USA Warrior with newly installed BWs
    [​IMG]

Spaced Out Ace and Blytheryn like this.
  16. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

BY THE TEATS OF FREYA! :bow:

awesomeaustin likes this.
  17. TunedToB

TunedToB SS.org Regular

Hi, guys! A bit new here, but I can't wait to be a part of the BW gang! I'm about one paycheck away from ordering a set for my new RGA121.

After enjoying a BKP loaded 7-string for about half a year for all my djenty and hyper-tight modern needs, I decided to buy the RGA and turn it into my 6-string melo-death and death metal monster with plenty of grind, spit, and attitude.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Nice dude! I play pseudo-hyper-tight stuff with my KM6, and the Black Winter can totally do that, and it doesn't sound anemic like a lot of the BKP stuff tends to do.

TunedToB likes this.
  19. TunedToB

TunedToB SS.org Regular

Thanks for the input! Yeah while I do love my 7's clarity and growl, I admit it can get a bit too...dry and tight if that makes any sense. It definitely works for djent and stuff but I wanted something with a bit more filth and body. I should get my set around next month mehehehe.

20. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

I'm in the CLUB! Installed BW's on a basswood RG570 and loving the heavy smoothness of them. Or is it smooth heaviness, who knows? Daddy like.

Blytheryn and TunedToB like this.