SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Nice riffs man! I doubt you'd notice a sonic difference by changing to the F-spaced version. There may be some people who could, but every time I've seen that topic come up, people tend to say "couldn't hear a difference." I think it's more of a cosmetic thing, for the most part.

ZombieLloyd and Blytheryn like this.
  2. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

Thanks, that first part is a little hard to play for me because I'm not used to that picking pattern which is why I went to power chords in the last 8 bars. I've always seen that too, I don't care too much that they don't line up perfectly since I'm not staring at my pickups when I play guitar haha. Thanks for answering the question.

3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Those riffs are sweet dude! Man, I seriously doubt there is any measurable difference by placing the poles slightly differently. Especially with gain on top. The whole point is that they line up with the strings on FR's.

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  4. ZombieLloyd

Thank you, I'm glad you like the song. Yeah, I didn't think so, but it's better to ask and know for sure, since I'm a pickup noob really haha.

Blytheryn likes this.
  5. ZombieLloyd

Hey guys. It's time for the new song haha. It's a slower track than I normally do but it turned out really well. To me anyway. Blytheryn, anymore pictures of that guitar with the green Black Winters? How does it sound?

6. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Nice doomy tune.

So I've ordered a Black Winter 7 with an A8 magnet, acquired a ceramic BW 7, and have my BW 7 AV, which is one of my ATF pickups. Plus recently grabbed an SD Omega bridge to compare them all, but mostly the BWs. I also reached out to Simon Sludge about adding them all to his pickup shoot out which he is totally game for! So when he makes it back from his travels and SD delivers (pathetically slow response time right now), we'll have something awesome to drool over in the next couple of months.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

Nice, simon does a good job of showcasing the pups in a metal context. The alnico 8 really doesn't change a ton from the regular ceramic mag imo. It shaves a little bit of high end off and makes it slightly clearer but other than that it's still a savage pickup. When I compared the 8 string black winter vs the omega 8 there was no comparison in clarity. Omega was significantly clearer overall. I think the 8 string version is too dark on the low end for my tastes.

MAJ Meadows SF and ZombieLloyd like this.
  8. ZombieLloyd

Thank you, I'm glad you liked the song.

The pickup comparison sounds interesting. You'll have to send me a link when he gets around to doing it.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  9. Blytheryn

That sounds great! Can't wait to hear it.

10. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Tried Black winters in my basswood Schecter and it was aight. nothing spectacular, I just put the bridge into a Hellraiser Solo. Sounds great, palm muted notes sound crazy.

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I'm now a fan of the Black Winter for sure. It actually sounds more percussive than the EMG 81 that was originally in my Schecter. This is probably my new favorite guitar. This is the first time i've actually liked a Seymour Duncan LOL. I've always been a Dimarzio guy.

12. Blytheryn

My Formula? It's getting set up at the shop right now, but I'll get some stuff for you and the rest of the dudes asap!

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  13. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

When you switched did you change the pots out as well?

14. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Lol yeah. Are you wondering if i'm an idiot or what? The EMGS that came stock in the guitar came with the standard 25k pots, I used an old Schecter wiring harness from a different Schecter and placed it in this one.

15. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

PSA... get yourselves a set of Black Winters 40% off. Came to $119. 3 left

[​IMG]

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. episode666

episode666 SS.org Regular

I had a BW set in my Les Paul Custom. I think the bridge is one of the best pickups out there, but didn't really bond with the neck. Too muddy and has too much bass.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?

17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

My BW neck is somewhat bassy I've found. But it kinda depends on the amp too. On my Classic 30 I have to dial the bass back a bit for clean sounds, but then it sounds awesome. I also have mine set up for coil-split and both BW pickups sound amazing split -- my favorite is combining both and splitting them.

18. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

WILL DO!

On the Omega clarity vs BW: I'll bet. The lower register, longer the scale, the better with the Omega. But that's MY problem with the Omega: too clear. I'm learning I'm sick and tired of all the ultra clear, scalpel cutting pickups. I like the voicing in some of these pickups, and while clarity is important, there is a noticeable sacrifice with weight and heft in individual notes to my ears. I end up adding a lot of bass in my amp settings, especially when I add an OD into the chain. To be honest, the only ultra clear pickups that I've had almost no issues with at all are the Ormsby Nunchuckers (6 & 7). But they are slightly too low-mid gain sometimes. Depends on the application, yes true. Everyone is going to have a setup difference and frequency preference, etc, so we all have that going on for us as well. But, FWIW, I think the Omega is one of the best pickups SD has ever designed. I'm thinking of doing another hybrid with an Omega and BW like I did with the BW and Nazgul. Just spit balling. So yes I don't expect the A8 to be a dramatic change like the AV magnet did but my ears tend to enjoy pickups with A8 magnets more than ceramic. I want some clarity and dynamics but thickness, grind, and really just on the edge of being out of control. The sweet spot between modern metal and death doom.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

It's weird but the bw 8 string version was darker overall than the ceramic warpig. the cpig was simultaneously dark on the low end and shrill in the high end in my swamp ash 8. I loved the chunky sound they both had but it was just too dark when playing through my boogie. The only pickups I've found with comparable chunk/thuds when you chug are the lundgren m8s and my elysian (though it's not as pronounced as the others).
    An omega/bw hybrid could be cool, though I don't know exactly how they'd achieve that unless they just combine one coil from the omega and one from the black winter. It might be super mid heavy since the omega and bw both are pretty mid forward sounding. Part of me wants to put an alnico v in a nazgul and see what happens, or maybe take some the invader and slap in an alnico v just to see what happens.

20. episode666

episode666 SS.org Regular

The amps were Marshall JVM and TSL heads, I consider them pretty bright.
    At the end i swapped BW neck with sh-1n. It is kind of a mismatch but it works.