SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

should have clips of it for you guys in a bit.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. KnightBrolaire

Alrighty, nuclear winter clips are here. distorted tracks start with no tubescreamer, then with tubescreamer on. black winter is first in all the clips, then nuclear winter. Cleans have gain at noon or so for break up but vol rolled down (so they're not suuuper clean but you get the idea). no post eq, or other bullshit. all amp settings are at noon (except gain for high gain clips, those are at 1'0 clock) . used a blackstar ht100 profile on my kemper.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/plrqhcapdi6nu15/AAB1X12zjt65irpAWlvfqnzKa?dl=0

Metalman X and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

Metalman X likes this.
  4. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    Damn, that Nuclear Winter is an interesting animal. I never attempted a magnet swap before, but I hear it's fairly simple?

Anyways.... heres a thing I been working on. Got a few things going on here. First is the left side is my Ironbird Pro with the BW in it. Other side is a BC Rich Virgin VG2 (higher end NJ like specs, but a bolt on neck with a mahogany body, and dark metallic purplish bevels), which has a BW neck pu, and the bridge is actually a Duncan Design HB104 (Google it), which kinda' sounds like the BW's crusty, kinda' scrubby-but-in-an-endearing-way cousin. Also has big blades, like the Dimebucker/Lawrence, but way wider (and nothing alike in sound). Bass is a Specter Rex with EMG 35CS's, and 2 band preamp.

Pretty much all the "synth" sounds here are the same guitars above, but with a bit of Axe FX f**kery, and an EHX Mel9 pedal on a couple parts.

https://soundcloud.com/pottersfieldmetal/critical-massive-mix-sample-no-vox

5. KnightBrolaire

It's pretty easy. basically just take off the black pickup tape and see if you can pop out the magnet, otherwise you'll have to unscrew the base plate and break the pickup free from the wax. then just slap in the new magnet, reverse all the other steps, re melt the wax with a hair dryer and let the pickup sit for a day or two to get the real sound (it'll sound different than when you first swap magnets).

6. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Nothing ultra produced from end yet, but I had some time in the apartment to crank up the Stealth and fire off a few quick riffs. The black winters and the inherent tightness of the Stealth really work well together, even on genres where that kind of tightness isn't a staple. I love the snarl you get when you drag pick chords and play some single note stuff with this setup. So killer.

By the way, does anyone know how I get my videos to correctly display in widescreen if I record and upload straight from my phone?

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Very nice sounding rig there! I don't think I could ever get tired of the 5150/6505 family of tones. Gotta try one of those Stealths one of these days...

Blytheryn likes this.
  8. Blytheryn

I hope you get to. This amp is totally vicious, and there's only 250, so I hope you can try one somewhere!

9. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I'm one of you now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. KnightBrolaire

because you're using imgur. imgur doesn't allow hosting on sso anymore

11. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Oh dope. That's annoying but w/e. Fixed it now :)

12. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Anyone used the normal spaced and trembucker versions of the bridge pickup? Got a guitar with a Floyd and Warpig that I'm thinking of dropping the Black Winter into. I've read that unlike Dimarzio's F-spaced stuff, Duncan trembuckers have wider bobbins, and can sound worse tonally compared to the normal spacing, so I was thinking about just going with the standard one. I don't have any personal experience with that though, so thought I'd check here.

Edit: Although, my first Black Winter was the 7 string version and it's my favorite metal pickup, so maybe I shouldn't be too worried?

Blytheryn likes this.
  13. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Dunno, mate, I have the trem 6 version for my Ibanez s and it sounds killer

14. Blytheryn

I've had stock, floor custom, normal spaced and F-spaced. All have that same BW grind and chunk we all love. How do you define "worse sounding"? If bobbin size was an issue the 7 and 8 strings would sound totally different, and even if the difference in the bobbin is slightly different... How much can it possibly differ?

Smoked Porter likes this.
  15. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

They sound exactly the same to me.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  16. Smoked Porter

Supposedly, having a wider bobbin but the same amount of winds can make a combination of a hotter signal and thinner sound in some Duncans. I dunno, I'm not a pickupologist. :lol: Judging by the responses so far, I'm just gonna grab whichever spacing is available for cheaper used.

17. Blytheryn

You kind of want to have the normal spacing if you have a fixed bridge and a F-Spaced if you have a Floyd. So that the poles line up with the strings.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. Smoked Porter

Well, that I do have experience with. :lol: I've had enough guitars where the pole pieces weren't lined up perfectly, and to my ears at least, the sound was still great. So I'm not worried about that.

Blytheryn likes this.
  19. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

These pictures are from the technical drawings SD sent me when I was trying to figure out why my covered Black Winters had issues with the routes on my Jackson King V that came from the custom shop with a covered SD pickup.

Standard SD pickup spacing
    standard.PNG

Trembucker SD pickup spacing
    Trembucker.PNG

Zoobiedood likes this.
  20. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

Hey guys, I finally got around to recording another video. To contribute to the conversation, I'm using the standard spaced Black Winter in my guitar, it sounds pretty good to me. Would anything actually change tone wise if I got the F-spaced version?

neotronic likes this.