School me on Volume Pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bearitone, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I want a volume pedal with no "tone suck" or high end roll off when its in the signal chain so I can do some ambient swells.

How do I achieve this? Would I go with an active volume pedal that has a power supply? or just a passive one and remove the volume pot from my guitar all together?

Or is there another route I can take? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I use a Dunlop mini volume on my second board for ambient stuff. I haven't tried any fancy active volume pedals to compare, but I don't notice any tone loss with it in my chain.

To my knowledge, most people experience tone loss from a volume pedal if it has a separate tuner output, but isn't buffered at all to retain signal strength. That, or they use the wrong value pedal, as in the case of the 25k vs 250k or 500k versions of the Ernie Ball volume pedals for active or passive single/humbucker pickups. I'm not sure if any other companies make separate pedals for different impedances, though

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I just bought an Ernie Ball VP Jr. and have a/b'd it in the chain and out and I can't hear any difference. I run it as the first pedal out of my guitar.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

A volume pedal is a potenciometer and as such it is also a filter. Any potentiometer in the signal path sucks up the tone, even if it has a treble bleed option. For guitar pots, it is known that the higher the value, the more Pickup to Jack the guitar will sound, so my suggestion is to get the highest value possible if you are going the passive route and want a pristine and clear tone. If will never sound as if there was not a volume pedal, but that is also up to each one's ears and sound acuity.

5. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

I use an active Morley volume, optical, stereo, ect. no tone suck to report once I cleaned the damn thing. It has a minimum volume pot great for fullbore rolled back to clean or off. The pot was dirty and made the whole thing sound odd unless at full. Couple hits of deoxit, and good to go.

odibrom likes this.
  6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

You also have to remember that humans don't hear in a linear fashion. Different volume levels will effect how you perceive different frequencies.