School Me on Modulation

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by R34CH, Mar 8, 2018.

1. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Yo.

Been looking at getting some kind of modulation pedal to sexy up my clean tone. Started doing some research and quickly got overwhelmed by all the options our there.

I'm open to chorus, flanger, or some kind of vibe (digging the Earthquaker Depths for some reason). I'm also intrigued by the TC Electronic JP Dreamscape. Looking to spend about ~$100 new/used so definitely don't need anything too fancy. Just looking for something to add that gloss.

What options should I try?

Thanks!

2. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

What do you like for clean sounds?80s retro chorus? 70s phaser psychedelic pink floyd? andy summers police electric mistress flange? 60s trem cowboys? anyway ...I ll choose one good analog pedal to start rather than a multieffect which do every thing but not great and authentic.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I think the Dreamscape would be a good starting point. Pretty cheap used, and you'd have the ability to experiment with the different modes and really focus in on what you want out of your cleans

rexbinary likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Zoom mcr-70 or whatever that pedal is called, especially to get a feel for each effect.

Also, you dont need chorus :p.

Wolfhorsky and Spinedriver like this.
  5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It depends on what type of modulation clean sounds you like....

Personally, for the ultra-cheap route, I am a big fan of the Donner Tutti Love Chorus and Donner Jet Convolution Flanger. These are mini pedal clones of the famous Boss CE-2 and EHX Electric Mistress. They are like $25 each. The Chorus will do the Metallica clean sound, and pretty much any 80s song you can think of. The Flanger will do those Pink Floyd type cleans, like on The Wall.

6. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I'm real happy with The Dreamscape on my board. I bought it for the utility of having chorus and flanger in one pedal, but I didn't plan on using the vibrato at all. The vibrato ended up being a sleeper hit. It's what I mostly use on that pedal when playing cleans. All six modes are good though. It's nice it also works with Corona TonePrints as well.

7. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

Here's a pretty good run down on the differences between modulation types.

You can start there to hone in on what you want exactly. They did a show on chorus pedals as well and the good old Boss CE-2 was front and centre.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

For the chorus I highly suggest the digitech anti-chorus or the walrus audio julia.
    Both very different and both great in their own way

9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

IMO and experience, modulation is best used in moderation and can get silly very quickly. I like a slight amount of chorus in my clean tone, but I typically use only enough so that you can barely notice the effect. I don't even have a chorus pedal at the moment; I get my chorusy sounds from my Hall of Fame 2 reverb and Flashback delay. While these aren't "modulation" pedals per se -- some of their settings feature a tri-chorus on the tails of the effect that create a subtle, yet swirling texture in the tone that runs in the background. They are also able to achieve some flange-like sounds. The key though, is that they're still subtle. If you get too aggressive with a dedicated modulation pedal, it just sounds too contrived and you'll only be likely to use the effect on a handful of songs, if even that many songs.

If you can increase your budget by $50, I'd highly recommend a HOF II reverb. It packs a lot of nice effects into one pedal, and you can dial them in to be extreme or subtle. The reverb on any of the pedal's modes is always a nice thing for cleans anyway. That's just my taste anyway -- I pretty much don't ever play cleans without some reverb in the mix.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

With any effect for guitar, if used for your own original music, I recommend that you ignore every recommendation, including mine, and just try something out, mess with it, and use it if you like it. Why? You want an original tone so that you stand out from the rest - which is what makes you you.

Detested likes this.
  11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

+1 for the donner tutti love. Great for the money. Very solidly built.

12. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Since you're not really sure what FX you even like, I suggest some type of modeler which will have everything, giving you the chance to try it all.

Hell, get one from GC so that you have a month to try it out, figure what FX you prefer and then take it back before the 30 days is up.

13. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

+1 to this.
    The CDR has literally dozens of chorus, flanger, phaser, delay & reverb effects as well as a few eq pedals for good measure. If you're looking to experiment, you won't find a better deal than this one. Granted, they may not be "Strymon" quality but they are good enough if used properly and will give you a good idea of what each effect does and whichever ones you like, you can probably track down & buy the 'real' version (many of the effects are "models" of Boss, Electro-Harmonix, etc..)

14. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Lots to think about and try!