Schecter's QC ... Still meh

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rami80, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

I guess since you paid for it, it's your right to be satisfied/not satisfied with this.

For me - these are non-issues. In the first pic, that little repainted area - I have something like that on my Loomis. Does it bother me? Not at all. This is wood - it's not a perfect material to work with. Sometimes there are tiny flawed areas that need a little patching so you can salvage the overall piece of wood.

If it were a large area, then I'd have an issue. As someone else said, these photos are pretty zoomed-in. If you have to zoom in that much to see the "issue", then it's not a big deal (my opinion).

2. movingpictures

movingpictures SS.org Regular

You own 2 with imperfections, so you bought another? Smart man!

3. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

I agree with everyone else here and will mention my VAN HALEN THEORY I tell my students.

Everyone that gets beyond 3 chords eventually seeks better gear. The basics are the tuners and bridge. If the guitar stays in tune more than half the battle is over. So when I have students want to sell their 300-500 guitar and buy up to $1500 or what not, I tell them it may inspire them to play more and the guitar may feel/play better, but the PLAYER won't play better.

I tell my students if I changed the paintjob on the original frankenstrat and mailed to them as a gift, how many flaws would they find? Neck pocket too large, neck not perfect, dents, holes, hacksaw job on control panel...yet that guitar made iconic music and changed the game forever. It's never the guitar, it is the player.

I understand you want perfection when you spend your hard earned dollars, but be realistic. Every custom shop USA Schecter I own is hands down the most perfect out of the box guitar I can purchase. I have owned quite a few very expensive guitars...none of them can touch these USA Schecters for the price. I sold my Tom Anderson because I can buy the same quality for half the price with Schecter. Same with just about any other brand. Custom shop Jackson and ESP is the same for me. Amazing guitars but I can buy that quality and then some with USA Schecter for way less cash.

The economy lines are the same. I can't think of any maker that offers more bang for buck than Schecter...at least most of their hardware is decent...and the pickups. Can't say same of many other economy lines.

4. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Send me the frankie, I wanna try!

odibrom likes this.
  5. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

If you aren't happy with it, send it back!

6. Arkon

Arkon SS.org Regular

Don't want to derail the thread, but how about the more expensive prestige Indonesian ones (the ones with steel frets)? Are they good? They are about the same price as a km 7.

7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Before anyone starts to bash, I'll just safely say that it's better to try them out in person first before you place your bets on buying one. In my experience, I personally think they were pretty good as far as mid-tier production guitars go.

AkiraSpectrum and Arkon like this.
  8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

The guy in question was an ESP dealer. He filled out the forms himself.

9. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

A fuckup of spec and a flaw in craftsmanship aren't the same thing.

10. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

I was making the point that regardless, ESP are responsible, fully, for fucking up his order.

11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm just going to join in with the choir and say that of course they built it as fast as possible. That's why production was outsourced to a enormous mass-production factory in Asia. The KM-7 has great specs, and it's cheap. They've built the whole thing for probably less than $500. So what you're going to have to cut back on is the attention to detail paid to each instrument. If you want every single bit of binding to be perfect, the time taken per guitar would go up 2 or 4-fold, and the cost will go up at least 50%.

12. auxioluck

auxioluck Metal Teddy Bear

I'm not going to dog on you for nitpicking the guitar, but at least it wasn't like me spending $1400 on an Iron Label 8 only to have the nut fall clean off on the first restring.

13. toolsound

toolsound SS.org Regular

What, that? That's just the Swap-a-Nut feature! Easily swap your nuts!

auxioluck and goobaba like this.
  14. rx

rx I drink water.

This is why I purchase only used cheap guitars with visible wear. I don't like treating my guitars like furniture. I, just like you, used to be fixated on small details. Take a belt sander to it and toss it down a metal staircase just once and you won't be worrying about small cosmetic issues. :)

The broken window effect works wonders. :)

15. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Is this communicated during booked time?

16. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Never had or seen this problem with late model Schecter's, seems from what ive read its the sig models that have problems