Schecter's QC ... Still meh

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rami80, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Not issues in any way, you're just being picky. I can look at my Suhrs under a microscope and find an impression here or there easily.

But those KM7's are generally killer guitars and feel extremely solid, do your dealer a favor and just return that guitar and get something higher end because there's a 90% chance you'll see similar stuff on the replacement.

TheRileyOBrien and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. rami80

rami80 SS.org Regular

This is essentially what I mean.

If it had just one of these issues I wouldn't mind. (Except that ding on the top, I can't get it to show in the pictures but its pretty deep) I do expect some finish issues here and there, but the factory is just really careless here, the bubble of glue just takes a wipe with a rag for example.

Regarding how it plays, its OK nothing different from the other Schecters besides the slimmer neck. It definitely needs a set up, but I'd rather not touch it than find a malfunctioning truss rod or stripped threads somewhere.

I think we can all agree here, that if it bothers you, you are better of exchanging it as you wont enjoy it.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  3. fps

fps Kit

If it plays well and sounds good that's the most important thing.

Sometimes I wonder if we've got guitarists here or furniture enthusiasts.

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

I like art, design and furniture :lol:
    I You spend money on the guitar You can have some expectations. If You're after the guitar that plays and sound good, then You don't care about ergonomics and aesthetics. Then why do we want nice figured tops? Why do we want AANJ or NTB?
    The point for me is that, (let's say) in some price tiers it is pretty much pointless to make a guitar that pretends to look more expensive. In low-to-medium tier guitars these extra features are at the expense of flaws.
    I would like attention to details and precision over fancy tops, staining and bindings etc.

5. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Reminds me of this thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/would-you-send-it-back-or-not.324017/#post-4771868

Absolutely unjustifiable levels of OCD in that thread.

Honestly though, it's just "gear nerd syndrome". Here's how it works:

Company A at £500 has perfect finishes but shitty fretwork
    Company B at £500 has perfect fretwork but shitty finishing
    Company C at £500 has mediocre both.

Gear nerd on forum buys a guitar from any one of the three and then complains that it doesn't have the best features of A and B at the same time. Wah wah wah cry cry cry "I'm sending it back until I get a perfect one!" and then actually they forget to play any fucking music.

It's almost as if making better products is more expensive, and companies have to apportion the expense somehow. That's why Fender has a £979 Stratocaster made in the USA and a £979 Stratocaster made in Mexico - because the mexican one has a Duncan and a Sustainer in it, requires more routing, and has a bunch of custom touches because it's an artist signature. I guarantee you the American one is finished better, but it doesn't have those features.

6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I guess I'm just a chump I wouldn't have even found any of those issues, would just have been playing it and enjoy life as long as it played well. That's just me I guess. Either lower the bar or raise the budget.

Also post where you bought it from then someone can track down your perfectly fine guitar at a discount.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

"There once was a doctor so good, that even if one was healthy, he would find something..."

8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

those look fine for a guitar in that price range

9. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

Your guitar is awful,

Just send it to me because my telescope 10x magnification eyes are bad anyways.

Thx!

10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

This reminds me of that bullshit time when I bought a guitar and it came with the wrong string gauge and tuning. Sent it back because I'm no one's pawn.

11. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

You could *maybe* argue B-Stock because of those few small issues but overall it looks like a really well made guitar to me.

Dineley likes this.
  12. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I agree that this looks fine. All guitars have some minor flaws. If you want absolute OCD perfection, then you need to pay $$ for a custom handmade guitar.

couverdure likes this.
  13. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

Oi the term lemon is usually more for things like a truss rod that is messed up, or if the electronics aren't working.

Heh, I really hope the one they are ordering in for you is up to spec :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  14. TheBloodstained

TheBloodstained SS.org Regular

Imperfections sometimes adds character. All my instruments have some kind of cosmetic flaw. It makes them unique :)

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I agree that most non-bootique guitars will have imperfections and shouldn't be much of a big deal... but lets not go with the Strictly 7 Guitar defense. :lol:

16. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Try sending a drink back with a waitress because, "the straw... it's upside down!" for laughs.

marcwormjim likes this.
  17. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

Jesus, man. It's a guitar, made by a human. It's beautiful and probably plays well.

I feel like an old man, but I'm so confused to what's happening lately with all these posts and youtube videos about the smallest imperfections about various guitars. If I were a guitar maker, I'd be so afraid to sell them in case one of these super particular people ordered them. If you want a guitar that's objectively perfect, you need to go in to a store and find one. There's probably plenty of cheap guitars that are ''perfect'. Personally, I'd just find one that plays well and...play.

couverdure likes this.
  18. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Order an ESP custom. They don't have any flaws like this. They cost a lot and take a long time to make though. Honestly though if you think those flaws are bad for a $1k guitar, don't go near an Iron Label Ibanez.

19. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

I happen to know one guy who stopped ordering ESP customs in the late 00's because they kept screwing up little things, like he'd requested no truss rod cover and they installed one anyway. Now he has a custom guitar that has 3 little holes in the headstock he didn't want.

No company is perfect.

20. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

I'm pretty sure the trussrod cover and mounting was executed to perfection. A fuckup of spec and a flaw in craftsmanship aren't the same thing.