Schecter's QC ... Still meh

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by rami80, Dec 16, 2017.

1. rami80

rami80 SS.org Regular

I have two Schecter's already. First one I got was full of dings, second one was a Loomis signature that had a pickup screw insert jammed in crooked, needless to say changing the pups was a nightmare.

After reading what people say about the QC getting better, I went to my local dealer and told him to order a KM-7 MK-II. I took it out of the box and alas Schecter still maintains their sh**y standards.

The front side on the wenge was not properly filled so the black portion of the headstock is full of holes.

photo_2017-12-16_12-53-49.jpg photo_2017-12-16_12-54-48.jpg

The veneer binding and fretboard were glued on with the most haste possible leading to some ugly squeeze out

photo_2017-12-16_12-54-18.jpg photo_2017-12-16_12-54-11.jpg photo_2017-12-16_13-08-15.jpg

Finally, the high E string Ferrule is not set in right.

photo_2017-12-16_12-55-15.jpg

I mean 5 years of hearing that Schecter's QC has become top notch and yet the defects this thing has are those of a sub 300USD chinese guitar.

The store will exchange the guitar but I have to wait for a new one.. I hope this is just a lemon.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i think the issue is that most people don't go over their guitars as fine as most forumites do. Prior to being active in forums and facebook discussions I would just be happy if the guitar played well. I've recently looked over some of my guitars and found quite a few funny things.

Leberbs, Dcm81, bloc and 3 others like this.
  3. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

If you are picky enough, you will find fit and finish issues in about every guitar. A $1000 WMI guitar will have lots of features, will play and sound great, but it is understood that it won't be perfect. If those issues you found are a problem for you, just get a Suhr or a Mayones. But you might find issues with those too.

4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

For the price you paid those are not really issues imo. As stated earlier if you want perfection look at something in the 3k+

5. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Even for 3k, nothing's “perfect perfect“.

GXPO, DiezelMonster and cwhitey2 like this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

ok so there's some pretty minor aesthetic issues, none of those things are a dealbreaker imo.

TheDandy, sezna, Dcm81 and 2 others like this.
  8. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Humans are not perfect. I’m sure if I looked hard I’d find cosmetic flaws on even my 3000 dollar JP15, but the fact is it plays and sounds so damn good it would be hard to call that a dealbreaker and sell it, short of a crack in the wood or some major manufacturing guffaw.

I remember when CNC body and neck machining became commonplace and everybody was going nuts saying stuff wasn’t handmade anymore...

Can you imagine the bitching and whining over imperfections that would be going on if bodies and necks were still HAND cut and shaped??? There wouldn’t be enough bandwidth on here...

9. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

So basically you found minor finish issues on a mid-tier import guitar. Not exactly shocking. This is typically the kind of stuff you call the dealer and get money knocked off for. I'm not really a fan of the Schecter imports but these really are not earth shattering issues.

How does it play and sound?

10. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

As someone who owns a KM7 MKII, these minor aesthetics do not change the fact that this guitar is one of the absolute best (If not the best) production 7 string I've ever played. Also it's a production model that has many features of a custom shop, it's going to have small aesthetic flaws.

11. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

Like a huge bevel!

12. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Such glaring flaws you have to get RIGHT UP on them with the camera to kinda sorta see them. If imperfections aren't your bag, you need to spend more.

If you're telling me that cheaper chinese imports don't have these imperfections, then I'm telling you you're lying. For real, if the fretwork is good, structural integrity isn't compromised, and you can't see the flaws without REALLY looking for them, then the guitar is fine.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

whew. i didn't want to be the first to say it. But, if it played well I wouldn't haven even looked at those flaws.
    maybe would have asked for 50-100 bucks for the glue.

14. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

Unfortunately you are never going to get consistent QC at that price point these days, but if it's enough to annoy you I would return the guitar and order another one somewhere else. Sometimes you get one with one little thing that's not too bad, but if it's multiple little things you notice it does get quite annoying. I have found stuff in even 3-4K guitars. Nothing is ever perfect, but like I said if you don't like it enough return it and you might have better luck with another one.

15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Which one of those items would you say is causing you the worst issues?

16. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Fire up the lights and bust out the micro lens, we've got a real "lemon" here. :lol::lol::lol:

17. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

I recall playing a Banshee Elite which was around 1000 to 1200€, and it also had very small gluing/biding issues around the neck joint, especially on the low E side. The last couple of luminlays weren't perfectly, exactly clean too. However the guitar felt so amazing for the price and played so well I would've gladly overlooked those issues. There was no other finish issues bar slight gluing around the 20+ frets on the low E side. The set up was excellent with low action (no more than 1.5mm on the low E at most), the playability was amazing, the finish, the neck, everything felt great. Of course I'm more used to seeing Ibanez Premiums and lower that aren't even set up in any way, shape or form around that price so I may be biased. It still was a really good guitar for the price. A shame they don't come with cases or bags.

Well there was that the pickups weren't properly grounded for some reason. :lol: The shop's tech simply took to it its bench and fixed it. I honestly find that to be a fairly minor annoyance compared to bigger structural issues, especially since the shop will gladly fix it. Or compared to guitars that never were set up to begin with and where you have no clue on whether they'll even play nice when you're done setting them up or if they'll need a fret job because no one at the factory cared.:facepalm:

18. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I have to agree with most folks here and say that none of these are issues at that price point. Just play it and enjoy it bro

19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Burn it and get an Agile

20. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

To be serious, i can understand the frustration. You spent some of Your money and You would exoect pretty nice guitar. For me few of these „flaws” are minor imperfections, but few would be deal breakers. I have some axes for dirty cheap and they are much less dodgy. I tried 4 or 5 Schecters in 1000-1300€ price point and all of them felt nice under my fingers. They played and sounded nice, but were really cheap looking for me. Why do they do those fancy shmancy bindings whereas they are made with poor attention to details (see the price)? I don’t get it. Flaws make it look cheap. I don’t care if a guitar looks cool on photos. It should look good enough for me.

myrtorp and rami80 like this.