Schecter PT Fastback Single Coil Issues

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by bobbyg2393, Jul 15, 2015.

1. bobbyg2393

bobbyg2393 SS.org Regular

I have a Schecter PT Fastback that I'm completely in love with. Tremendous sound and playability, but I'm running into a little problem. The coil tap is perfect for getting a great single coil sound, but no matter what tricks I try, the single coils are noticeably quieter than when the coil tap is off. I've got a humbucker in the bridge and a Filtertron on the neck, and I've tried playing around with the height but haven't had any luck.
    After searching the internet for people with similar problems and failing miserably, I decided to make an account here and ask for some advice.

Any ideas? It may be a wiring issue, but I'm hoping there's an easy fix that I could knock out quick here at home.
    Also, since I'm new here I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum for this, so if I'm not please let me know which one would work best.

Pictures of the guitar and pickups:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Cheers

2. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Am I wrong or you are complaining because when the pickups are in single coil mode have less volume/output?

If it is that let me say you that it is absolutely normal and you can't do anything (not with the wiring and all that).

If you are using a pickup that in serial (humbucker mode) delivers an output proportional to a impedance of both coils in series like 6kOhms when split then you will have an output proportional to the impedance of just one coil so like 3kOhms... so yes, less output, quieter in volume.

3. bobbyg2393

bobbyg2393 SS.org Regular

You are correct, though I wouldn't necessarily call it complaining.
    I guess I didn't really give a good explanation in my first post. "Noticeably quieter" was too broad of a description. The output in single coil mode is significantly quieter than the humbuckers. And by that I mean that the single coil mode is the volume equivalent of turning the volume knob down almost three quarters on the humbuckers.

I was aware that single coils do of course provide less output, therefore less volume, but not like this. I have been noticing that it's been getting progressively worse over the last couple months as well.

4. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

The drop in volume is normal, even if it is "that big" is normal considering that those are "vintage style" humbuckers... maybe even the coils aren't symmetrical so maybe the coil tap is using the weaker of the coils... anyway, spliting the humbucker do not mean that the output must be "exactly the half" specially considering that the measure of the sound (decibels) is not linear but logaritmic, so I would assume that drop in volume is absolutely normal.

BUT what really bothers me is what you say about getting worse over the time...

Let's way a bit for someone else with any idea or that have happened to him (as that have never happened to me) but my advise at the moment will be to clean every contact and potentiometer.

Re-doing every solder would be a good move specially if any of them is not looking shiny and/or clean.

5. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Resolder the whole thing step by step.If you want the thing to be done the good way,get a couple of new pots,Bourns and CTS are wise choices.

Now,tel me more about the guitar.I tried a regular PT too many yers ago to remember the quality,but I'm really into those Ttaditional strats Schecter has been showing lately. Sustain? repliability? Playability? Sound? overall quality?

Thanks mate :fawk:

6. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

This!!!
    make sure you replace the switch too. Good quality soldering & components can make a huge difference.