Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Reverend Chug

Reverend Chug But It's A Dry Chug

I hear you man, but since my stroke, I am not able to do stuff like that...so this was a good situation for me.

2. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Yikes, I wish you speedy recovery man.:metal:

3. trebal

trebal SS.org Regular

I love this guitar! I think that Schecter could made more finish for the MK-II in 6 string.

4. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

finally picked up one of these.. white flame top one, gonna probably get an Evertune installed on it and use it as a backup to my Aristides. Schecter has been killing it lately, love my Loomis 7 but gonna sell that to get the KM7 as I don't dig floyds anymore.

No better guitar for the price than a used KM7 or JL7 imo.

5. drkranio

drkranio SS.org Regular

Hello everyone, today what model you buy or recommend? mk1 or mk2?

Thanks a lot

6. trebal

trebal SS.org Regular

I recomend you the mk2, because I have the mk1 and I have some problems with the tunning.

You have problems with the tunning? I'm thinking change the tuners.

7. severe

severe SS.org Regular

Hi,

I've had the km-7 now for over three Years. It is the best guitar I've ever owned, period. I really have to thank Keith for giving us such a beast among all the overpriced rubbish you find on the market (Even when you bought it in EU which is not that cheap...).

The frets are still in shape but start to feel a bit hackly.... Does anybody know how to give them a repolish?

Now I've ordered the mkII.:

It looks great but I'd rather have a natural ash than such thin veneer (hope the finish will stand the sands of time). Would also make the guitar even more affordable.

Playability is the best I have had (since the first version). The fretwork is perfect no buzz at low action at all. Frets have a very good polish. Solo sound is great.

The only complaint I have so far is that the uncovered Nazgul 7 is a lot more prone to feedback than the old covered one. I could just mute the strings with my hand leave the vol pot open at high gain and the gate would shut off.
    With the mk2 I get a loud wooooop and have to shut the volume. Looks like the uncovered version is not potted at all. Pitty! Maybe I'll get a covered one as a replacement.

And as always the volume pot is crap as hell (bad contact at full volume). But I'm used to that. Looks like a Schecter feature to build in crappy pots and annoy customers to make them replace it (I always go for dimarzio push pull which is great). At least the switch seems a lot better than the old one.

btw, I recommend to put very little gun oil at the nut to get real great tuning stability.

Regards,

Marco

8. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Hey Marco, I have a mk I and II and do not notice much difference in terms of noise. I am no expert but it might be worth checking the wiring before buying a new pickup.

As for cleaning the frets i currently use the dadarrio fret polishing system which works pretty well. http://daddario.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=529&productname=Fret_Polishing_System&sid=b7f76cf1-15b1-4e58-b985-e7a65bc4a7eb

The time honoured method is to use 000 grit steel wool but i hear good things about micro mesh pads which are less messy to work with.

9. severe

severe SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for the fret polish hint. Will try that out!

As for the humm issue:

Yesterday I compared both guitars on high volume. I noticed a loud low feedback on the mk2 while muting the strings (mk1 was silent). Then I pressed the pickup a few times deep into the cavity. After that the feedback was completely gone.... Weird....

10. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

I have an MKI. The electronics were absolutely terrible from the factory. I recommend gutting the guitar 100% and installing a switchcraft pot, toggle and jack, and putting fresh wires. Super easy to do, and will make the instrument sound super clean and sick.

11. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

12. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Wow that's a great price!

13. trebal

trebal SS.org Regular

+1

I also recommend changing all the electronics (pot and toggle)

14. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

Same here

15. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal SS.org Regular

Picked one up over the winter but never got much chance to mess with it until now. Restrung it and was working on the setup... damn truss rod vibrates and rattles like crazy when I tune it to drop G which is the whole purpose of my purchase. Confirmed it is rattling by tapping the back of the neck with a rubber mallet.

No clue what I can do to fix it or if I even can... anyone got any ideas? Otherwise the only way I can enjoy it is to keep it in either Drop A which has brutal tension with this scale, or just A which doesn't give me what I was after

16. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

If you tighten the truss rod and it keeps buzzing, it's not likely to be the cause. Look for a loose tuner nut, or more likely, a string with separated winds.

17. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal SS.org Regular

I can't see it being a string since it does it when tapped with a mallet since I'm muting the strings when I do. Tightening the truss rod either direction doesn't seem to be fixing it, but it's not a tuner nut either. I'm kind of at a loss.

Probably sending it back to Sweetwater to see what they can do with it or get my money back if they can't fix it.

18. bastardbullet

bastardbullet need cookies

Mk-I TBB on action.

19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

20. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

oh.

sweet.

Jesus.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be cool if that was like a purple bust or some sort? Idk, I'm in a purple guitars kinda phase ATM