Schecter Demon-7 or Jackson JS32-7?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Iron1, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

Which do you think is better and why?

2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

In this instance I'd personally pick the Jackson.

It's almost half the price, has passive pickups and a hardtail bridge rather than a TOM. Although I have no idea about the difference in build quality between them.

Have you tried either of them?

3. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply.

There's only a $50 difference at full retail, but I can have either for the same price (the JS32 is $399 normally, on sale for $30. The Schecter is $450, I got one for $350).

I have the Schecter on my lap right now as I type and I'm tracking a new song with it just to hear the difference between it and the Jackson JS22-7 I already have (they compliment each other very well). I played a JS32-7 yesterday for all of about 30 seconds, but didn't have time to really dig in.

Got the Schecter yesterday afternoon and played for a solid two hours last night and do like it a lot, but there are some things about the Jackson I like better, particularly the Jackson neck feels more accessible to me - the upper cutaway on the Schecter runs along the neck until the 17th fret, on the Jackson it's the 20th, but the lower is about the same - but it changes how the neck is in relation to my body when I'm playing).

4. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

The Jackson JS32 is not better in quality than the JS22 except maybe the bridge (in the 32 it is much more comfortable without the bolts of the saddles protruding and hurting the hand in case you put your hand there while palm-mutting like I do) but the shape of the neck and the sound is the same (same woods, same pickups, same dimensions). Maybe if you already have a JS22 you may want to get the Schecter just to have different feels and sounds BUT maybe you prefer to have "two of the same" to have different tunings or pickups to compliment each other without having to change the way you play... (I would go for the Jackson, I am more fond of the second train of thought I just wrote but I know there are people that go the other way and prefer to have different guitars with different necks because different feelings playing means different approach to playing so different technics and different ways to compose at the end).

Actually, I had a Jackson JS22-7 in the past and the neck is AMAZING and right now I am debating myself again if I should buy one (or the 32-7 in white mainly because the color and the "no pickup rings" option) or if I should spend more money because... really, the JS22-7 is an amazing guitar and if you save some money you can just change pickups and have an amazing sounding and lovely playing guitar...

5. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

Great points. The other thing I like about the 32 (and the Schecter) is the neck binding. Sadly, on the Shecter there's a tiny, thin line of glue where the fretboard was glued to the neck.

The direct mount pickups is what turned me off to the 32 in the first place, as I want to change the pups to have two different sounds, but am thinking I'll just swap the ones in the 22 if I get the 32... At the end of the day, I do really like the way the Schecter plays, but the 32 has a cleaner look to it and, like you point out, wouldn't require any adjustment in my playing to swap back and forth.

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Maybe it's different in Texas but in the UK a JS32-7 is £270 whilst the Schecter Demon is £470. I'm assuming you are talking about the white one with the black headstock?

7. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

Here're links to the two in question:

Schector

Jackson

8. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

GuitarCenter webpage not accesible from EU... maybe @Anquished can from the UK since the BrExit... LOL

I just don't get all the crap... I think GuitarCenter is the only one I cannot access. Anyway, can't see the prices but yes, here in Europe Schecter is pretty expensive compared to the USA so there the difference in price between the two must be smaller than here...

Anquished likes this.
  9. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Can't see them unfortunately, like Zhysick says I'll have to wait for Brexit. :rofl:

Regardless of that price difference I'd personally still pick the Jackson. I had a Schecter Omen Extreme 7 for a while and whilst it was a brilliant first 7 string guitar, I hated the TOM bridge. The passive pickups were super easy to change though (more choice) so I'd go for that over the Demon.

Zhysick likes this.
  10. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeah GuitarCenter is acting full retard on the privacy thing we have in EU... I think I already got another website that does the same but cant recall right now.

Anyway these are the guitars he is talking about (the Free TunnelBear VPN get's rid of GC retarded rule...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks wise I would go for the Jackson. If the pickup routing doesn't allow other brands, take it to a Luthier and pay for a simple re-routing. Its cheap and fast to do.

Zhysick and Anquished like this.
  11. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

The pickups routing of the Jackson will accept any DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bare Knuckle or coming sized passive humbucker: guaranteed. (The issue is with the 8 string model which has some weird sized humbucker, the 7string is standard).

I love that white JS32-7 and thatstthe one I am thinking in buying... It's almost perfect...

Iron1 likes this.
  12. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

If I'd had seen that one when I was choosing my first 7 I'd have definitely gone for it.

13. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

Sorry y'all, had no idea you couldn't see those links. But, yeah, the two in the pix MPexus put up are them. Thanks Mpexus! I think what I'm going to do is get the JS32-7, play it and the Schecter for a few days, then return the one I don't like.

Zhysick likes this.
  14. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

^ That's the best you can do

Iron1 likes this.
  15. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

I recently have bought Demon 7 in Crimson Red burst. These new 2018 Demon series have better pickups than old Duncan Designed. Demon Come in 3 colours, White,Black and Red as 6,7 and 8 string for now. I have Red 7 and its damn good. I did compare it to J32 Jackson and Rg7421, Demon has better pickups. Quality can be the same

Iron1 likes this.
  16. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

brexit isnt gonna help you. Norway isnt a part of the EU and we cant see those either

Zhysick and Anquished like this.
  17. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Iron1 and Anquished like this.
  18. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Nevermind then, can't win 'em all.

19. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

The Jackson arrived yesterday. Other than a tiny bit of buzz on the low B, I love it. Plays like butter, roared when I plugged it in. Deciding between the two didn't seem like an easy decision, but in the end it was.

From top to bottom:

HEADSTOCK: The Jackson headstock is lethal, like Walking Dead zombie-killing lethal. The Schecter's is cool, but not overly exciting at all.
    WINNER: JACKSON

TUNERS - would/will most likely replace either with a locking set, but both are really good quality for non-locking tuners.
    TIE

NECK - The Schecter neck is sleek and fast, but there's glue residue where the fretboard was glued down to the neck. Not enough to hinder playability, but enough to be annoying. The Jackson neck is faster, has a better shape (for my preferences at least) and has sleek white binding that compliments the body and headstock very well. I really love how flat and thin the Jackson is near the 1st-5th frets.

FRETBOARD - I'm not a fan of plain old dot inlays on fretboards, so the Jackson piranhas and the Schecter gothic crosses are both cool, but the Jackson's inlays work better with the overall look of the guitar. Both fretboards feel nice, but the Schecter has nicer frets probably due to the fact the Jackson was made in China. For the inlays, the win goes to the Jackson, but overall, the Schecter has a nicer fretboard for playing, which obviously matters more than looks.
    WINNER: SCHECTER

BODY - Both are light, sleek and comfortable and both are basswood. The "vintage white" on the Schecter looks good in sunlight/natural light, but not so good in artificial light. Curious to see what it looks like on stage. The bright white of the Jackson is classic and looks good in any light. The Jackson is lighter, which will make for less shoulder fatigue when playing standing up for long periods of time. The neck also sits further out from the body on the Jackson, which makes it more comfortable to play - but this is personal preference.

[​IMG]

PICKUPS - The Schecter is loaded with a set of active Duncan Design HB-105/107s. Allegedly, these are "the same" as Seymour Duncan Blackouts and they do deliver a good, albeit scooped, tone. They compliment my other Jackson in my mixes, but don't sound so great by themselves. The Jackson has house model humbuckers, allegedly the "hottest humbuckers Jackson makes..." These are the same ones I have in my other Jackson. But, they're direct mounted and while I haven't gotten clinical in checking it out, sound hotter/more aggressive than the ones in my JS22-7. I didn't make it all the way through the first riff I played before getting really excited to play it. I bought a Nazgul last weekend to swap into JS32-7, but after playing it, I'm not sure which one to put the Naz in cause the 32 roars as it is - might just install it, then if it doesn't blow me away, take it back out and sell it. The Jackson sounded amazing, while the Schecter sounded just 'good'.

BRIDGE - The Schecter has a TOM that does the job and I kind of like having the strings off the back of the TOM going to the string-thru holes to sweep every now and then for effect. The Jackson has the hipshot style bridge that is super comfortable, sleek and far more stable when changing strings. This might also be personal preference, but if I had to choose solely on the bridge, I'd go with the Hipshot style.

OVERALL FEEL - The Jackson just feels faster, sleeker, more lethal. The Schecter feels more solid, resonates a bit better when playing acoustically and feels more substantial overall. It really doesn't feel like they're both basswood bodies, as the Schecter is noticeably heavier while the Jackson looks visibly larger. But, in the end, the Jackson just feels better, again personal preference - your milage may vary.

CONCLUSION - If I could keep them both I would, or more likely if money didn't matter, I'd ditch the Schecter for a transparent white KM-7. But, since I can only keep one, the Jackson wins. Either way, I don't see how anyone could be put out by owning either of these, unless active pups aren't your thing or there's some visceral thing about the looks or feel that just doesn't do it for you. But, for me, in the end, the Jackson wins all day long.

Rocks256, Zhysick and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  20. Rocks256

Rocks256 SS.org Regular

Some like Jackson more some like schecter more :p. YOu have the old Schetcer version with DUncan designed? I have new one with Schecter pickups. I would argue about quality, these 2018 Schecters are better in terms of quality and sound. I would pick a Jackson if it was red